Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Can Think Faster than Auto Pilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh boy, I finally found someone that can think faster than a mobile computer that can process millions of floating point calculations per second. Will you please come down and help my wife balance the checkbook? :D
Oh, seriously though, your point taken. It keeps getting as time goes along. Hopefully improvements will come at a faster rate. For us, we have FSD and really like it for long trips and don't want to do without it :)

. Despite such balderdash we repeatedly see posted here, Tesla's cruise control (TACC) is not to be limited to controlled access roads.

The actual topic is AP, not just TACC.

AP is only intended for use on limited access roads.

It can be set as low as 18MPH, and controlled access roads have minimum speeds of 40MPH.

Also wrong.

Minimums vary between states, some don't have any, some only have them on some roads.

The NY State Thruway for example, a system of controlled-access highways covering over 500 miles, has no minimum speed limit at all.

And some states only have em under certain conditions on any given road... for example in my own state of NC there's a statuatory minimum of 40 or 45, but it's only applicable if that part of the road is signed indiciating it (and many places are not)... additionally, no minimum applies at all if you are towing another vehicle

Tesla does state that it is not for use on city streets where traffic conditions are constantly changing, but there are a great many roads where people can turn left in front of you.

0 of which AP is intended to be used on, since those wouldn't be controlled access roads.

AP isn't meant to be used any place there is oncoming or cross-traffic.

Because AP is explicitly not intended to be used there

AP is intended to be used on limited-access divided freeways where all traffic is going the same direction, and entry/exit is controlled by things like on/off ramps.

While this is true, you could also make the same argument about braking warning coming on all the time for vehicles that are turning out of your way. As far as I know all cars have this issue that have braking warning though.

I keep hoping for some form of intelligence in the steering algorithm. Simple things like this situation, where a human will simply aim for where the car needs to go a few seconds down the road, allowing the car to come closer to the line near the jog in the paint stripe, instead of applying two sharp corrections to the steering, in an effort to always stay centered in the lane, would be a welcome change.

Road Jog.png

I keep hoping for some form of intelligence in the steering algorithm. Simple things like this situation, where a human will simply aim for where the car needs to go a few seconds down the road, allowing the car to come closer to the line near the jog in the paint stripe, instead of applying two sharp corrections to the steering, in an effort to always stay centered in the lane, would be a welcome change.

View attachment 502887

and yet another person complaining about how AP works on a road it's explicitly not intended to be used on at all.

At least you folks who ignore the manual are consistent :)

Anyway, I'd suggest you folks (at least the ones who paid for FSD) all wait till the Q4 earnings call Jan 29...

Given Elon mentioned Q1 2020 was when FSD upgrades would really get rolling as there'd finally be need for em we're probably approaching fairly quickly a release for FSD owners (this won't help the AP only guys) it's likely we'll get some news on when there will actually be a public release of something intended for use on undivided roads with things like oncoming and cross traffic.

Once THAT is released then you can start having valid complaints about how well (or not) it works there :)

• Disagree
Reactions: Thp3 and SSonnentag
and yet another person complaining about how AP works on a road it's explicitly not intended to be used on at all.

At least you folks who ignore the manual are consistent :)

Anyway, I'd suggest you folks (at least the ones who paid for FSD) all wait till the Q4 earnings call Jan 29...

Given Elon mentioned Q1 2020 was when FSD upgrades would really get rolling as there'd finally be need for em we're probably approaching fairly quickly a release for FSD owners (this won't help the AP only guys) it's likely we'll get some news on when there will actually be a public release of something intended for use on undivided roads with things like oncoming and cross traffic.

Once THAT is released then you can start having valid complaints about how well (or not) it works there :)

AP is designed to be used on highways. Where are you getting your misinformation from?

This is a 65 mph section of highway in Arizona.

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
AP is designed to be used on highways. Where are you getting your misinformation from?

The owners manual.

Which is why it's not misinformation.

Model 3 owners manual said:
Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps.

That is, clearly, NOT a limited access road in your picture.

• Disagree
Reactions: SSonnentag
  • Disagree
I don't own a Model 3. Model S and X manuals do not state that. This is a thread about AP's deficiencies, it is not Model 3 specific.

Uh- this is in the model 3 forum... and then in the model 3 driving dymanics sub forum under that.

But even then you are still wrong

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf

it's on page 92 in the Model S book.

Page 92 said:
Autosteer is intended for use only by a fully attentive driver on freeways and highways where access is limited by entry and exit ramps.

And just to be complete-
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_x_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Page 107 in the Model X owners manual also says what you keep claiming isn't there.

So yes, your manual has that wording too.

Maybe quit while you're behind?

Last edited:
Uh- this is in the model 3 forum... and then in the model 3 driving dymanics sub forum under that.

But even then you are still wrong

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_s_owners_manual_north_america_en_us.pdf

SAME wording I cited, it's on page 92 in the Model S book.

So yes, your manual has that wording too.

Maybe quit while you're behind?

Wrong again. Below is the ONLY occurrence of "limited access" in the entire manual. The S and X manuals say the identical thing.

Page 91 of my Model S manual below.

page91.png

• Disagree
sap.jpg

Dude why are you lying when everyone can click the link and see you're lying?

Here's the exact wording I quoted you multiple times now, on page 92, just like I said

It even goes on to list places it's NOT intended to be used where someone might choose to engage it anyway (as you did) and how they might see things like speed restrictions in such cases.

Included in that list? A road without a center divider- just like the one you posted the picture of.

Because it's not intended to be used there

Like I told you the first time.

And so did the manual.

• Disagree
View attachment 502924

Dude why are you lying when everyone can click the link and see you're lying?

Here's the exact wording I quoted you multiple times now, on page 92, just like I said

It even goes on to list places it's NOT intended to be used where someone might choose to engage it anyway (as you did) and how they might see things like speed restrictions in such cases.

Included in that list? A road without a center divider- just like the one you posted the picture of.

Because it's not intended to be used there

Like I told you the first time.

And so did the manual.

I'm looking at the manuals I just downloaded from my Tesla account. I'm not lying, as you can see the image of the page on your screen. I didn't make it up.

There are no entry or exit ramps in the area this occurs either, further negating your flawed perception of reality.

I'm looking at the manuals I just downloaded from my Tesla account. I'm not lying, as you can see the image of the page on your screen. I didn't make it up.

You just seem to not understand that page 92 is after page 91.

The part I quoted, that you keep insisting "isn't in your manual" is in your manual on the very next page you refuse to read.

Even after I posted a live picture of it from the current Model S manual at tesla.com, including a previous link to said manual.

It says exactly what I've told you and you keep insisting isn't there.

• Disagree
You just seem to not understand that page 92 is after page 91.

The part I quoted, that you keep insisting "isn't in your manual" is in your manual on the very next page you refuse to read.

Even after I posted a live picture of it from the current Model S manual at tesla.com, including a previous link to said manual.

It says exactly what I've told you and you keep insisting isn't there.

It never says it isn't intended for use on highways. It only says it is intended for use on roads with limited entry and exit ramps. This qualifies. There is also a center divider, called yellow lines.

That’s how all radar cruise control systems work. The car has no idea that the other car is going to turn. Your brain, on the other hand, can under this from context.

My 2014,15,17 Jeep GC's Radar ACC rarely ever did that. It only ever did it if a car ahead was say switching to the exit lane but his butt was slightly still in my lane (but to my eyes safe to pass). It would warn it's going to brake, but never did in 90K miles.

Not sure how much this case is camera vs radar based (probably both). But in either case I expect it will drastically improve as things get optimized for HW3. I have seen it quite often be quite paranoid of things going on ahead.

Both the Jeep and Tesla I keep on Max Distance most aggressive Emergency Braking.

My 2019 Volt is a bit paranoid compared to the Jeep(s) but not as paranoid as the Tesla(s).