Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't handle it! - A Rant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK. Who came up with the designs for the door handles on these cars?

I've genuinely lost count of the number of times I've had to wind the window down and explain to people how to open the car door. I've probably had 10-15 different people in the car since I bought it and EVERY single one couldn't work out how to get in first time. Young and old alike.

And then there's getting out again. You have to explain and constantly re-iterate that you have to press the button to open the doors from the inside. Several times now they've pulled the handle instead, bringing up the warning on screen. And who the hell designs a car door operation that has a risk of shattering the window glass upon closing if its not opened a certain way?

Why make something as simple and long standing in people's psyche like car door handles so counter-intuitive?

In 5 months of ownership there are some very minor issues that don't bother me but this one is just stupid design.
Yep, nice for aesthetics, but horrible design. You shouldn't have to actively think about how to open a car door.

1950s Mercedes Gullwing ... looks familiar:
Gullwing.png

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I've had this issue a few times too. I suggest telling new passengers to press their thumb on the larger part of the handle and pull it once the handle comes out. My 3 yr old when on hand will show them how it's done. A bit annoying having to do it every time nonetheless.

Getting out, I've added glow-in-the-dark stickers on the buttons (which I'd assume was a no-brainer), but yet I still get a handful of people looking confused and I have to say "press the button with the door sticker on it".... "ahhhh your cars so futuristic". Thankfully no emergency release pulls just yet!

I did have a moment when my mates at the back had trouble getting out. I kept telling them to press the right button - they said they were but nothing was happening. I completely forgot I had child lock-on. 😅

I presume the emergency release is fully mechanical? if you make it "check" for other things before working, or changing how it works, then there is perhaps a chance it might not work at all?

I always assumed the emergency release was a direct physical connection to the latch and the car complaining about it after the fact is because it knows the door has opened without the door open button having been pressed.
The frustrating thing is, I've had a few cars with frameless doors now and all of them have had mechanical door handles that also drop the window a crack to avoid damage. There is no reason, other than the standard "Tesla know better" bloody mindedness that the emergency door release can't do that. Or, they should move it. A couple of passengers I have had have rested their hands on it, so when I stop it's natural for them to pull it to get out.

Reactions: Durzel
It's one of the first things I noticed when I got the car that the most obvious door handle is one that it says in the manual can physically damage the door if used. It's a complete design failure.. surprised they haven't changed it by now.

I shouldn't have to hand people an instruction manual before giving them a lift!
The manual doesn't say that anymore as a software update made it now drops the glass when you use the emergency release. Also on newer models they added an illuminated icon to the door open switch.

How many people here are getting exercised over something that changed quite some time ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Js1977 and MrBadger
There are some very annoying Tesla fanatics that come out with the "The doors are fine, your friends are stupid." statement.
The reality is, I have the stupid little "Door open" stickers on the buttons, I've explained how to get out of the car countless times, but every single time I take my in-laws anywhere they can't get out.
Getting out of the back of the car in particular is a UX failure, the doors are more "Sticky" and pressing the button without shoving with your elbow just winds the window down and up again, and it bugs the hell out of me that people blindly defend such a poor design just because most of the rest of the car is good. You really got me started with this one!!!!

Reactions: Neilio and Nick77
I'm pretty OK with the exterior handles, people seem to figure them our after a few moments poking, it's getting out from the inside that's an out and out design mistake.

Honestly whoever performed usability testing for the design needs to be slapped because they don't know what failing usability testing looks like if they think this is alright.

Reactions: Nick77 and MrT3