Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't take it anymore!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they the next generation style with the close bolstering? I'm not trying to be rude, but are you also a bigger set person? I've seen some posts about this and that combination has usually contributed to it in some way.

I asked above, not to be rude, but there are some body types that just don't work very well in Tesla seats. I have long legs and a relatively short torso, the original Model S seat frames were torture on my back and neck, but the next gen seats (close to the Model X seats) are much better. When I talked about it here, some people said they found the original frame seats more comfortable than the next gen seats.

I broke my tailbone when I was a kid. If I can get enough leg room in a car, I'm fine, but if my knees are above my hips, even a little bit, I'm OK for about 2 hours, then it starts to get painful and on long trips I'll barely be able to stand up when we get there. I don't think about it most of the time because I don't run into things in my day to day life that trigger it very often. Fortunately all Tesla front seats go back far enough it isn't an issue, but I started looking for a new car after a road trip with my SO's Impreza a couple of years ago.

Different people are different shapes and what works for some people won't work for others.

Reactions: beachmiles
I'm 6'2" and about 240 lbs these days. Weight may be an issue, but not sure. I also think my seatbelt is very tight and puts strain on my body. It kind of feels like there is pressure on my neck and shoulders. Maybe its pushing my neck forward with the side bolstering. I also think maybe because there isn't enough thigh support, its originating from my legs, who knows.. sigh.. all I know is I can never get comfortable period.

If the bolsters don't work, that's tough to deal with. I found the forward leaning headrests on the original seats was one of the major factors in my neck problems. I also got a gel seat back cushion and started slouching in the seat and that helped.

I need good thigh support too. In my case, I run the back of the lower part of the seat all the way down and run the front all the way up. Some kind of cushion might help too.

With the seat belt being tight, looking into a seat belt extender might help.

I'm 6'2" and about 240 lbs these days. Weight may be an issue, but not sure. I also think my seatbelt is very tight and puts strain on my body. It kind of feels like there is pressure on my neck and shoulders. Maybe its pushing my neck forward with the side bolstering. I also think maybe because there isn't enough thigh support, its originating from my legs, who knows.. sigh.. all I know is I can never get comfortable period.
How do you sit and position? Interestingly enough, the picture in the Tesla owners manual if I recall correctly was different than the one I saw in the Range Rover Sport we had.

Sounds like it's just enough to press on a pressure point or nerve.

I find that the seats force my shoulders farther forward than is comfortable. It ends up stressing my back as I try to straighten it and can't. There is another thread with some back-cushion recommendations. I just use an inflatable stadium seat cushion vertically against the seat back that is short enough to keep my shoulders on the seat back while supporting my back a little farther away from the seat. And since it is inflatable I can change the shape a bit to vary my position. No headaches for me, so good luck with that.

I find that the seats force my shoulders farther forward than is comfortable. It ends up stressing my back as I try to straighten it and can't. There is another thread with some back-cushion recommendations. I just use an inflatable stadium seat cushion vertically against the seat back that is short enough to keep my shoulders on the seat back while supporting my back a little farther away from the seat. And since it is inflatable I can change the shape a bit to vary my position. No headaches for me, so good luck with that.

Ok guys, I am still having lots of upper shoulder, neck discomfort. I hate it! I think animorph is right! Its the narrow seat and the side bolstering that is pushing my shoulders and neck forward. Animorph does the cushion work well for you ? Can you give me a picture of what you have?

Thanks
MM

Ok guys, I am still having lots of upper shoulder, neck discomfort. I hate it! I think animorph is right! Its the narrow seat and the side bolstering that is pushing my shoulders and neck forward. Animorph does the cushion work well for you ? Can you give me a picture of what you have?

Thanks
MM
Don't want to try to diagnose at this distance, but my GF (girlfriend, not gigafactory...) uses one of these for the same reason, to keep her lower back away from the bottom of her car seat: $5 at Bed Bath Beyond, or Amazon. Wonder if that would help? Seems like sacrilege on this car, but whatever works....

upload_2017-4-26_14-15-48.png

6' 2" 210lbs....have white perforated seats (which I believe are the best Tesla sells).

The X is hands down the best long distance trip vehicle I've ever had.

I have two settings: one around town and more upright; second, on long trips in a more leisurely/reclined position. HW1 Autopilot works well and i use it on my I75/95 trips to NC.

I also think my seatbelt is very tight and puts strain on my body.
I have back problems and loved the seats on my Yukon. The S seats are somewhat tighter but seem to be adequate. I have a seat bottom only so I can use the seat heater on my back and keep the butt cool. I also use a small clip to keep the seat belt away from my body but still close enough to be useful. Yea, it's a pain so I only use it on longer rides. My wife meanwhile hates the seats. Too tight, no granny handle and many other complaints (about me and the car) :)

Thanks
MM

Just returned from a cross-country drive. Although not perfect, the cushion made the trip tolerable. I used an inflatable stadium cushion from Eddie Bauer. Normally I use it at football games so it was handy to take with us. It is a combo of foam and air and pretty easy to adjust. A little long, so I scrunch it down a bit most of the time. I think a shaped foam cushion would probably work better, but would lack the adjustability.

I couldn't find it on the official site, but this is it:
Eddie Bauer Inflatable Seat Cushion - From the stadium to...

The lumbar support does nothing to support the upper back or allow you to move your shoulders back.

Sorry to hear your problems @mohanman. I've driven so many rental cars, some good, some really bad that I do think that not every seat is perfect for every individual. I've experienced some terrible seats in very nice cars in my life. In fact for years I wouldn't buy a 90's Ford because no matter what I did I couldn't get comfortable at all in any Ford vehicle. Now, I own 2.

I'm 6' and 250 and have no issues with our MX seats, without any issues with the bolsters. In fact I really love them. As a former resident of Michigan (first 35 years of my life) I do also feel your pain, and can vouch for them being some of the worst roads in the country. The X isn't the best over really bumpy roads, but no worse in my experience than any other sporty SUV.

I would agree, however, their could be something physiological that is aggravated by the seat design.

My wife and I both find our MX seats (multi-pattern) to be the most comfortable seats we have ever used in a car. We can drive for hours and never have any discomfort. We are both kinda petite, and we have noticed that the seats (back seats in particular) are a bit narrow for larger/taller folks. Also, the seats are pretty firm, which we love for cars, couches and beds, but some people prefer soft overstuffed seating.

Reactions: Mike M
Ok I think I got the seat that has relieved most, but not all of my shoulder and neck discomfort.. but now my mid back hurts and my right knee. Whats up with that. Does anyone have any experience adding padding to the seats or maybe if they break in or something like my Allen Edmond shoes?
Thanks

I think I figured it out. Its a combination of the chair pushing my neck forward, and the bumpiness of the ride. Here in Michigan the roads are crap. They are not smooth, they are very bumpy, and having a very stiff suspension car is not a good idea here. So now what do I do? Live with it? That sucks. This guy seems to sum it up : Testing the Tesla X SUV.

@mohanman DO you have the 22" wheels? If so, might be worth switching to the 20" wheels for a smoother ride.

Reactions: boaterva