TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

I didn't expect to pay $35,000 for a model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bmzl, Aug 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bmzl

bmzl Member

What interested me in the tesla model 3 in the first place was the self driving capabilities; and I knew the software was an extra cost option. That option on the model S added about 10%; so I expected to pay about $4000 extra for it on the model 3. Other than that, the features which come standard on all other $35,000 cars (power windows, mirrors, seats etc.) would suffice. Accordingly, I expected to pay around $39,000 (maybe a little more, but less than the average Musk expected of $42,000). But if you had told me that it would cost me $49,000 for that car, I would have laughed in your face--that would've suggested that Tesla had been conning us all along--and Elon Musk had a much better reputation than that.

There has been only one substantial cost change while the model 3 has been under development--the cost of copper (hence the cost of electric motors e.g. power seats) has fallen about 50%. That is one reason why every other "$35,000" car includes electric seats, mirrors etc. as standard. This has been clearly a bait and switch.

• Disagree x 39
    • Funny x 2
  2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

You will still be able to get your Model 3 for $40k, with EAP, in November. The $49k price includes the $9k range upgrade, and the $5k Premium Upgrade Package neither of which Tesla is going to force you to buy. (Unless you want one of the "first production units".)

• Like x 9
  3. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner / Current original Leaf owner

It's still a $35,000 car for the base. It has power mirrors... just not autofold when parked. There is no bait and switch. Base 3 series do not include power seats.

The front seats have heated seats in the base as well.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. bmzl

bmzl Member

My calculation is as follows: $35,000 + $8000 (full self driving) + $1000 (I hate black) + $5000 (premium interior) = $49,000.
    Being "forced to buy," is an interesting concept. In an era when electric motors are cheap, only a stripped-down base model does not include power seats. I won't pay $44,000 for a stripped-down base model of any car.

• Disagree x 5
  5. bmzl

bmzl Member

Thanks for the info on power mirrors. Now, if I could only include power seats for $45,000, I would be happy. ;-)

6. Troy

Troy Active Member

Most Model S/X buyers don't purchase the $3,000 Fully Self Driving option because it is not released yet and it is unknown when it will be released. You could drop that and just add the $5,000 Enhanced Autopilot. Also, don't forget the $7,500 federal tax credits.

• Like x 4
  7. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Why would you presume that the extended range model or premium interior was part of the starting price ?!

• Like x 10
  8. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Member

#8 Thomas Edison, Aug 3, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    So you call an advertised base model price that does not change over time a bait and switch? Riiiiiiiiight.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  9. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

You know you can always move the seats by hand and make an electric motor sound with your mouth... it's practically the same thing.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 16
  10. 206er

206er Member

Wait - really!?

11. jason1466

jason1466 Member

Plus the up to $3,000 excise tax credit in Maryland as of last month. As for EAP and FSD, many will not opt for that including my wife in her Model 3. I love EAP in my X, but it is not for everyone at this very early stage. It is certainly not considered a base feature in any car, so not sure how you can count that in your calcs for price comparison.

12. SageBrush

Really

• Like x 2
  13. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

2017 BMW 3 Series Specs
    MSRP $33,450

Interior seating and trim
    6-way manually adjustable front seats; includes 2-way manual headrests

and the premium package is cheaper, but it's hard to compare because the options are different:

Premium Package
    $3,100
    •Auto-dimming rearview mirror
    •Auto-dimming interior and driver exterior mirrors
    •Storage package
    •Comfort Access keyless entry
    •Power Front Seats
    •SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 1year All Access Subscription
    •Universal garage-door opener
    •Lumbar support
    •Moonroof

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

The only pricing I am shocked by is the long range option. The base model is more or less what I expected. I think I did expect a little more range from the base model. My problem is over time I started half expecting to also get the bigger battery for cheap (no real reason to think this, but I did). Then the announcement of it being 310 miles really made me want it. Only it was like a quarter of the price of the car! So, I am anguishing about how to afford a $60k car and it is frustrating, but I keep having to remind myself that if I go back to my original plan everything is fine. The non-black paint surcharge is really annoying but not a deal breaker. Just wish Tesla was a little smarter about where they get their margins from - that $1k price gouge is hard to explain. The base car with PUP and AP seems to be everything I expected.

• Like x 4
  15. larmor

larmor Active Member

Also base 3-series does not include navigation.

16. SageBrush

#16 SageBrush, Aug 3, 2017
    The following is going to amaze you, so hold on tight:

The Tesla 5.6 second, 220 mile drivetrain is more expensive than the 7.1 second, ICE drivetrain that << insert ICE manufacturer >> sells. The difference is going to be seen in the options packages ... somewhere.

As for your fav other model, I suggest you head over to the bimmer forum and start complaining that the $33k model only has 78% of the power of the Tesla Model 3. Perhaps you will be mollified by people that tell you about homelink ... or something.

• Funny x 1
  17. derekmw

derekmw Member

Would you rather have the Nissan Leaf SV at $34,200 that has cloth seats and only 107 range?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
  18. SageBrush

#18 SageBrush, Aug 3, 2017
    Or have the Tesla drivetrain.
    And it is not electric.

Can we banish these <car xyz has a feature that the Model 3 does not> posts to their own sub-forum ? PLEASE ?

• Like x 2
  19. SageBrush

And no battery cooling
    And no Supercharger network
    With a 1990's interior

But otherwise, quite similar ;-)

• Like x 1
  20. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

The base model 3 does not come with heated seats, heated mirrors etc.

• Disagree x 4