Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I didn't expect to pay $35,000 for a model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What interested me in the tesla model 3 in the first place was the self driving capabilities; and I knew the software was an extra cost option. That option on the model S added about 10%; so I expected to pay about $4000 extra for it on the model 3. Other than that, the features which come standard on all other $35,000 cars (power windows, mirrors, seats etc.) would suffice. Accordingly, I expected to pay around $39,000 (maybe a little more, but less than the average Musk expected of $42,000). But if you had told me that it would cost me $49,000 for that car, I would have laughed in your face--that would've suggested that Tesla had been conning us all along--and Elon Musk had a much better reputation than that.

There has been only one substantial cost change while the model 3 has been under development--the cost of copper (hence the cost of electric motors e.g. power seats) has fallen about 50%. That is one reason why every other "$35,000" car includes electric seats, mirrors etc. as standard. This has been clearly a bait and switch.

You will still be able to get your Model 3 for $40k, with EAP, in November. The $49k price includes the $9k range upgrade, and the $5k Premium Upgrade Package neither of which Tesla is going to force you to buy. (Unless you want one of the "first production units".)

My calculation is as follows: $35,000 + $8000 (full self driving) + $1000 (I hate black) + $5000 (premium interior) = $49,000.
Being "forced to buy," is an interesting concept. In an era when electric motors are cheap, only a stripped-down base model does not include power seats. I won't pay $44,000 for a stripped-down base model of any car.

It's still a $35,000 car for the base. It has power mirrors... just not autofold when parked. There is no bait and switch. Base 3 series do not include power seats.

The front seats have heated seats in the base as well.

Thanks for the info on power mirrors. Now, if I could only include power seats for $45,000, I would be happy. ;-)

My calculation is as follows: $35,000 + $8000 (full self driving) + $1000 (I hate black) + $5000 (premium interior) = $49,000.

Most Model S/X buyers don't purchase the $3,000 Fully Self Driving option because it is not released yet and it is unknown when it will be released. You could drop that and just add the $5,000 Enhanced Autopilot. Also, don't forget the $7,500 federal tax credits.

That is one reason why every other "$35,000" car includes electric seats, mirrors etc. as standard. This has been clearly a bait and switch.
You know you can always move the seats by hand and make an electric motor sound with your mouth... it's practically the same thing.

BNDaYs.jpg

don't forget the $7,500 federal tax credits.
Plus the up to $3,000 excise tax credit in Maryland as of last month. As for EAP and FSD, many will not opt for that including my wife in her Model 3. I love EAP in my X, but it is not for everyone at this very early stage. It is certainly not considered a base feature in any car, so not sure how you can count that in your calcs for price comparison.

That is one reason why every other "$35,000" car includes electric seats, mirrors etc. as standard. This has been clearly a bait and switch.

2017 BMW 3 Series Specs
MSRP $33,450

Interior seating and trim
6-way manually adjustable front seats; includes 2-way manual headrests

and the premium package is cheaper, but it's hard to compare because the options are different:

Premium Package
$3,100
•Auto-dimming rearview mirror
•Auto-dimming interior and driver exterior mirrors
•Storage package
•Comfort Access keyless entry
•Power Front Seats
•SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 1year All Access Subscription
•Universal garage-door opener
•Lumbar support
•Moonroof

The only pricing I am shocked by is the long range option. The base model is more or less what I expected. I think I did expect a little more range from the base model. My problem is over time I started half expecting to also get the bigger battery for cheap (no real reason to think this, but I did). Then the announcement of it being 310 miles really made me want it. Only it was like a quarter of the price of the car! So, I am anguishing about how to afford a $60k car and it is frustrating, but I keep having to remind myself that if I go back to my original plan everything is fine. The non-black paint surcharge is really annoying but not a deal breaker. Just wish Tesla was a little smarter about where they get their margins from - that $1k price gouge is hard to explain. The base car with PUP and AP seems to be everything I expected.

2017 BMW 3 Series
MSRP $33,450

The following is going to amaze you, so hold on tight:

The Tesla 5.6 second, 220 mile drivetrain is more expensive than the 7.1 second, ICE drivetrain that << insert ICE manufacturer >> sells. The difference is going to be seen in the options packages ... somewhere.

As for your fav other model, I suggest you head over to the bimmer forum and start complaining that the $33k model only has 78% of the power of the Tesla Model 3. Perhaps you will be mollified by people that tell you about homelink ... or something.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: b team