Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't think Tesla's for me.. :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for feedback..

I have a 2020 Model 3 LR AWD with FSD and Acceleration Boost in MA that I got in March. It's a really cool car (and will no doubt get cooler as they continue with updates), but I am increasingly feeling like it's really just not for me. I had come from a Genesis G90 and a Mercedes before that and miss the larger size and more luxurious interior.

I had decided to lease since that's just generally what works better for me, so I have like 33 months and ~41,500 miles of allowance remaining (15k/yr).

I know you cannot buy out leased Teslas since they want it back for their future robo-fleet, so simply selling it is out of the question, but does anyone know if they allow lease takeovers, or would you instead recommend subleasing (I really don't want to become a bank chasing someone down for monthly payments and needing to enforce a contract, but will if that's my only option). The monthly payment is $848.43.

How would you proceed in this situation? Thanks in advance!

Looking for feedback..

I have a 2020 Model 3 LR AWD with FSD and Acceleration Boost in MA that I got in March. It's a really cool car (and will no doubt get cooler as they continue with updates), but I am increasingly feeling like it's really just not for me. I had come from a Genesis G90 and a Mercedes before that and miss the larger size and more luxurious interior.

I had decided to lease since that's just generally what works better for me, so I have like 33 months and ~41,500 miles of allowance remaining (15k/yr).

I know you cannot buy out leased Teslas since they want it back for their future robo-fleet, so simply selling it is out of the question, but does anyone know if they allow lease takeovers, or would you instead recommend subleasing (I really don't want to become a bank chasing someone down for monthly payments and needing to enforce a contract, but will if that's my only option). The monthly payment is $848.43.

How would you proceed in this situation? Thanks in advance!

I’m not familiar with leasing since as soon as I heard no buyout option I stopped researching the lease options.

I will say though that before you write off Tesla, you might want to look at an S or X at some point down the road. Those are the more premium flagship vehicles. A Model S is only a few thousand more than the G90, so that might actually be more comparable. That Model 3 was probably $10k to $15k cheaper than the G90 and that was after almost $10k of upgrades spent on software (FSD and speed boost unlock.)

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: cucubits and MMcKay
I have a feeling that when you realize what is entailed in getting out of your lease, you might just living with your Tesla till the lease runs out.

There are 3rd party swap a lease programs where someone will take over your lease, but if that does not work, you might be better off just keeping it.

Leases are cheap to get into...but expensive to get out of.

I didn’t get the S because it’s interior felt just as basic as the 3’s and isn’t it due for a redesign soon? I’m also not interested in replacing it with an S or X because the sales process is awful. They are the most incompetent group of people I’ve ever dealt with.

I often hear people describe Tesla's as luxury cars. It makes me wonder if all they had driven was a 2009 Prius?

Today's luxury cars are very nice. I see the Tesla as a utilitarian interior when compared to all 2020 cars. It's not a popular opinion but it's true. A/C-Heated massage seats are the current craze.

One thing that is interesting to see is the 2009 Tesla Model S prototype that is in Petersen's Museum in Los Angeles. It had a 2009 luxury interior. That interior did not make it into production. In fact, the interior materials have been getting downgraded as time goes on.

Care to explain? They’d also have $0 down if it’s just a simple lease transfer. Sales taxes and fees were already paid.
If they take over my lease with zero down their monthly payment is $577. No fds but the difference over 30 months will be over $8000.

if you had put down $5000, the new person would be making a lot less per month.

OK, its late here. I really just do not get it.
I have never bought a car I did not like. Is it missing a bobble head,
tuck and roll, dice, seats … it is a car. Or is it like a hack saw.
It the issue the boat does not fit in the trunk. It is a very different
car than what's being sold in the ICE world, but that is clear in the first
hour drive.

Reactions: C141medic
You don't just get out of a lease because the car "is not for me" without paying a huge penalty. You need to learn to live with the car, or take a big hit. Go read your lease agreement.

On my recently ended lease, a 2017 Dodge Challenger, if you turn in the car early, you owed all the back lease payments plus an adjustment for the depreciation of the car vs some arbitrary calculated reference value. There is wiggle room in the lease agreement if you work with a dealer to get out of it. For example, with 9 months left on a 3 year 36k mile lease, I talked to a dealer and they said I'd roll over $2k in negative equity, which is tolerable. I didn't pull the trigger on another car and decided to just pay it off as I didn't want to re up on more payments (it was a 3rd car).

I had a Mustang lease before that. It was the 2.3 turbo and I was thinking of upgrading to the V8. They wanted over $5k in penalties that would be rolled into the new car. I think I had a little over a year left on a 36k mile lease at the time.

I doubt a Mercedes dealership is going to be able to cut a deal with Tesla. You're most likely on the hook for a lot of money. It may not be the balance of the whole lease amount, but it will be many thousands of dollars.

This is not a good economic time to be taking huge financial hits like that unless you are very very sure your financial future will be stable. Do you have a large emergency fund? If you have kids, do you have their education planned out? Are you saving for retirement?