Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I feel like competing automakers want to push business to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
Just a mini-rant that is kind of in reverse. I wasted a month of my life trying to hunt down an Escalade Sport or Yukon Denali ... but they're all going for like $20k to $30k over MSRP.

Finally got a verbal from a somewhat local dealer that they'd do something more reasonable. But of course when the dealer stock arrives, they say "Market pricing adjustment is +$20k and we're still including some dealer installed options too. Do you still want it?"

Barf.

Anyway, picking up an Ultra Red MX tomorrow. If I had any brains (which I don't), I would have just ordered during the end-of-quarter-push. But that's the breaks I guess for ever wanting to buy from GM.

Just a mini-rant that is kind of in reverse. I wasted a month of my life trying to hunt down an Escalade Sport or Yukon Denali ... but they're all going for like $20k to $30k over MSRP.

Finally got a verbal from a somewhat local dealer that they'd do something more reasonable. But of course when the dealer stock arrives, they say "Market pricing adjustment is +$20k and we're still including some dealer installed options too. Do you still want it?"

Barf.

Anyway, picking up an Ultra Red MX tomorrow. If I had any brains (which I don't), I would have just ordered during the end-of-quarter-push. But that's the breaks I guess for ever wanting to buy from GM.
Don’t forget to post pics!!!

Reactions: AW9nineteen
It may not just be pushing buyers away, I think it will result in a complete restructuring of the dealership model. Corporate knows it’s happening and with the EVs put some rules in place about inflating prices above MSRP for some models. FordE will have a a different dealership structure. Tesla has shown a path forward. I don’t know how classical the dealership model can compete with with Tesla.

Don’t forget to post

Need to wash this car before I post more pics hah. It’s so dirty even though it’s new (not a demo unit)

Like it’s a good thing I had some Gyeon and a microfiber in my old car / trade. The windshield was so greasy? Maybe it’s from interior offgassing but I had to clean it hah.

Tesla rep said they don’t bother putting tire wheel shine on cars any more because it doesn’t matter to the delivery experience.

582A27D4-B5E7-408A-A48D-4503A4558D72.jpeg

Edit… But, GM purchase attempt/experience still sucks more than a dirty Model X.

Last edited:
Need to wash this car before I post more pics hah. It’s so dirty even though it’s new (not a demo unit)

Like it’s a good thing I had some Gyeon and a microfiber in my old car / trade. The windshield was so greasy? Maybe it’s from interior offgassing but I had to clean it hah.

Tesla rep said they don’t bother putting tire wheel shine on cars any more because it doesn’t matter to the delivery experience.

View attachment 925760

Edit… But, GM purchase attempt/experience still sucks more than a dirty Model X.
Beautiful color! Who’s the girl in the background? She doesn’t look happy you’re taking a picture of her taking a picture of the car. 😁 I can’t believe they don’t shine the tires on a $100k car. Absolutely mind blowing. Keep us posted on the good and bad if ownership. Looking forward to eventually getting mine.

Reactions: holeydonut
Beautiful color! Who’s the girl in the background? She doesn’t look happy you’re taking a picture of her taking a picture of the car. 😁 I can’t believe they don’t shine the tires on a $100k car. Absolutely mind blowing. Keep us posted on the good and bad if ownership. Looking forward to eventually getting mine.

Lol the woman in the background was the Tesla delivery center rep that helped me punch out (sign docs and get provisioned on the Tesla app). She’s supposed to take pictures of the car as evidence of “delivery”.

Reactions: GoVols!
I hate when they shine tires. Many owners don’t like that garbage either. Tires are not meant to be shined. Looks like you drove off a sleezy used car dealship.

I hate when they shine tires. Many owners don’t like that garbage either. Tires are not meant to be shined. Looks like you drove off a sleezy used car dealship.

Yeah I like the polish/kinda-shiny instead of a ultra gloss. Here’s the tire rubber shiny level that I think goes with these cool Tesla wheels.

55CFE517-5BDB-4B58-A4D6-1303EB99796C.jpeg

I need moar turbines in my life. I’m going to blaspheme and put the aero flaps on them 22’s. Wheel scuff/scratches here I come.

Reactions: GoVols!
Aero covers? Those wheels are pretty aero already

The Model X has these weird clip-in plastic thingies on the Turbine rims (no clip ins on the Model 3).

Here's what the wheel looks like w/out the clip-ins.
1680825858346.png

And with the clip-ins (and a center cap)
1680825914169.png

Unfortunately those little clip in aero thingies mar the rim. But if the clip ins never come off, I'll never see the damaged rims. Right? Gaahhhh blasphemy

The Model X has these weird clip-in plastic thingies on the Turbine rims (no clip ins on the Model 3).

Here's what the wheel looks like w/out the clip-ins.
View attachment 925766

And with the clip-ins (and a center cap)
View attachment 925769

Unfortunately those little clip in aero thingies mar the rim. But if the clip ins never come off, I'll never see the damaged rims. Right? Gaahhhh blasphemy
Oh interesting. That doesn’t look bad at all. Does it save that much range to be worth marring the wheels?

Oh interesting. That doesn’t look bad at all. Does it save that much range to be worth marring the wheels?

@ngng said they improve range, but I wouldn't know how to empirically test. Someone posted a picture of their wheel getting all scratched up with these inserts though.

I think @sorka may need to post a video about how he installed them w/out scratching.

Just wait until I have time to wash and clean this thing! I spend too much time on TMC and not enough time cleaning. I did get the little aero covers on the wheels though. They look so cool.

Finally got some quick pics…

I dunno why it’s so easy to get the red + black rims color combo with Tesla, but it’s almost impossible with any other automaker without a massive overpay.

Btw ultra red and red multicoat look almost identical. Maybe ultra red has more pearlescent flecks in it, but from any normal distance I don’t think anyone can spot the difference.

Attachments

• 74728A62-AFA3-4AF1-A672-E2D88B4B9DBF.jpeg
    74728A62-AFA3-4AF1-A672-E2D88B4B9DBF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 808
  • 01A04F90-00D5-4FE3-909A-30AAF50B0C57.jpeg
    01A04F90-00D5-4FE3-909A-30AAF50B0C57.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 142
  • B7C8F3F2-981F-49B2-9AE3-848B83640DFA.jpeg
    B7C8F3F2-981F-49B2-9AE3-848B83640DFA.jpeg
    777.1 KB · Views: 164
Finally got some quick pics…

I dunno why it’s so easy to get the red + black rims color combo with Tesla, but it’s almost impossible with any other automaker without a massive overpay.

Btw ultra red and red multicoat look almost identical. Maybe ultra red has more pearlescent flecks in it, but from any normal distance I don’t think anyone can spot the difference.
Wow. That car is a beautiful!! Looks fast even when parked. I hope it does not attract too much attention from the police. :eek:

Whoa, so I had a Lexus LC in Infrared pull up next to me this morning. I think this Lexus red is the red color that Tesla seems to be going for (as depicted in the Tesla app and website). In the app and website, the Red Multicoat is more flat/matte and the Ultra Red is shown to be a shiny metallic.

But in real life the two Tesla reds are kind of similar. Ultra Red has more pearl than Red Multicoat, but it lacks the metallic sheen of the Lexus Infrared.

I need to find one of these red LC's and take a pic next to the Model X lol.
1681233276496.png