Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I found a secret lot of Model 3's in Irvine and valets are shredding tires.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be more unofficial skidpad testing
that's the skidpad at Thunderhill
I wonder if Tesla had Perf 3's out there for some final shakedown or suspension tuning.
It would be great for Tesla to share track data with suspension, steering, power and brake vendors to help them build kits.
I think step 1 for a Performance 3 will be coil-overs and light wheels (if they're not already a factory forged wheel.)

I've been doing work at a data center in Irvine that is connected to an inconspicuous, gated parking lot that seems to store quite a bit of Model 3s.

I left the data center at 2:00AM this morning and was contemplating poking around the lot but was deterred by a posted security guard. LOL

What annoyed me as I was going in and out of the data center throughout the day was valets were burning tires coming in and out of the parking lot.

No wonder tire life is *sugar* on Tesla's. All the tread is gone before they get to the owners.

We are seemingly oblivious to valets not abusing our vehicles and nannies not abusing out children because we don't see it happen. IT -CAN- HAPPEN.

Considering I saw more than one person do this, I don't believe it was an isolated incident.

Someone with connections at Tesla needs to report this up stat. @bonnie ?
I wouldn't be surprised if the valets didn't get a little spanking shortly.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
I wouldn't be surprised if the valets didn't get a little spanking shortly.

Thanks. :)

I am in the medical field. Improper viewing or transmittal of patient data is grounds for instant termination.

I think abuse of future Tesla owner property should be the same.

The thing is it’s asinine that policy is even necessary around these things.

937134A0-EC1D-40C3-8B3C-CEB6D7F5B0A2.jpeg
24699F57-6DE6-4F23-9554-0062D10C7ACF.jpeg

Will be hunting for red calipers and 20 inch wheels. :)

I don't understand all these secret lots full model 3's?? I assumed when they began popping up at the end of June that they were delaying delivery in order not hit the magic 200,000 number in the second quarter. But here we are in the middle of July, the secret lots are still around and the 200,000 was hit long ago. What does the community think is going on with that? Is there a lot at Freemont that is not built/completed yet?

I don't understand all these secret lots full model 3's?? I assumed when they began popping up at the end of June that they were delaying delivery in order not hit the magic 200,000 number in the second quarter. But here we are in the middle of July, the secret lots are still around and the 200,000 was hit long ago. What does the community think is going on with that? Is there a lot at Freemont that is not built/completed yet?
Most delivery centers don't have ample spaces to stash all the cars they are getting, so a buffer lot like this is needed

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Shredding huh. Pretty overstated. You got me to click. Do you work for Business Insider?

Yes I work for business insider. One of my photos has a tent in it. Trying to figure out how to spin that in a nefarious manner.

Being “rough” on the Tesla’s here is not a Tesla manufacturing problem. It’s a problem with hired valets abusing property that does not belong to them.

It’s hard to find signs of abuse typically but KW spikes would be a good starting point.

• Funny
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Actually I’m not happy with this as they joy rided my car at costa Mesa and crashed it a few years back ...but I can’t baby sit my car either at service ..I just switched service centers but I always see my energy graph tripled from when I dropped off ..

Is your story documented in length somewhere at some other thread? That’s some crash stuff. Curious on how they resolved it for you.

Also, does it ever make sense to switch service centers with the possible permutations of techs, advisors, managers that work on your car? Also seems to have been a substantial passage of time if we are talking years.

Costa Mesa has been good to me for past visits but now I have some dread as past performance does not guarantee future performance.

Reactions: P85_DA

It's not secret lots. It is just the need to buffer production and deliveries. Traditional car deals have a lot more capacity to handle cars on site than a Tesla store, yet these brands still need offsite storage.

Mercedes built two big parking garages west of Chicago to handle new inventory. I don't know why exactly, but obviously it is needed.

IIRC Toyota sold off part of the distribution area at Fremont when NUMMI closed. It's not surprising when going from 2000 to 7000 cars per week that Tesla has a lot of units in transit.