Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got a very unfair third strike that I do not understand. Please help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huh? That’s intentional behavior. Immediately after engaging, the system now checks to see if your eyes are on the road. If not, you’ll get the warning. It’s basically a front-loaded warning. Of course there’s no warning before. It IS the warning.

It's really strange how different people's experiences are. I've never gotten this (I'm on the latest FSD Beta builds). Literally don't know what you all are talking about.

I engage and... FSD engages. No big warnings.

Are you all engaging AP without looking at the road? When I engage AP I'm driving manually so of course I'm looking at the road.

I'm becoming suspicious that the system may not work well if you don't wear glasses - has anyone investigated this?

It's really strange how different people's experiences are. I've never gotten this (I'm on the latest FSD Beta builds). Literally don't know what you all are talking about.

I engage and... FSD engages. No big warnings.

Are you all engaging AP without looking at the road? When I engage AP I'm driving manually so of course I'm looking at the road.

I'm becoming suspicious that the system may not work well if you don't wear glasses - has anyone investigated this?
I think the differences may be HW v4 vs v3 and cabin camera versions. There definitely seems to be at least 2 significantly different impressions of how it performs out there. We need a video of each to compare.

I have found that I am nagged less frequently when I wear reflective sunglasses.

As an experienced user I assume your hands were not canceling the torque applied by the other, essentially canceling each ot

In the case of this strike were you eating at the time? Eating with both hands off the wheel is not safe, even with AP. It’s exactly that type of thing that this update is to discourage.
No. I wasn't eating at that time. I was driving with two hands on the wheel. I think it said that in the 2nd sentence of the original post. If I was eating at the time I would have understood why I got the strike.

I had two hands on the wheel and was staring straight ahead at the road except for glancing at the screen as a warning gradually escalated to a strike despite the fact that I was doing everything I could to prevent that.
There has to me more to this story. What were road conditions like, how long a period from the first warning to the strike, how many warnings were there before the strike, what did the warning say, were you twerking and rolling the scroll wheel, straight away or curves . . . your description is lacking, it will take several pages for us to guess and help you. Given all that, your strike is probably warranted.

No. I wasn't eating at that time. I was driving with two hands on the wheel. I think it said that in the 2nd sentence of the original post. If I was eating at the time I would have understood why I got the strike.

I’m very confused by this.

Per your account you were driving at full attention, hands on the wheel, saw the escalating alerts to apply torque to the wheel, but failed to do so?

I’m struggling to understand how all of those things can be true.

I have driven nearly 200,000 miles in Teslas and can count the number of forced autopilot disengagements on one hand. If you’re getting one on average every 300 miles you’re the reason we can’t have nice things. 😂

Last edited:
I think Tesla's detection of hands on the steering wheel have evolved to be quite sophisticated. To explain it simply, its similar to detecting your EKG heart rhythm. When you are actively observing the road and with hands on the steering wheel, there is a certain rhythm and magnitude of the torque variations depending on the road conditions. So, if your hands were not on the steering wheel, that torque variation rhythm will "flat line". Also, weighed steering wheel will give certain non varying characteristics. A sudden increase in torque of no established pattern will also indicate no active driving attentions. So, the answer is just keep your hands on the steering wheel and try to steer according to the road conditions.

So, the answer is just keep your hands on the steering wheel and try to steer according to the road conditions.
Steer according to the road conditions? It's simpler than that. I maintain constant light counterclockwise torque with one hand. Whenever the wheel turns, I apply pressure with that hand to lightly oppose the movement. No problems, no issues. If the variability of experience here is in the drivers and their perceptions - and not in the cars - then this is a most fascinating psychological phenomenon.

If the variability of experience here is in the drivers and their perceptions - and not in the cars - then this is a most fascinating psychological phenomenon.

Right?

From day one of using Autopilot I never struggled with satisfying the nag and have always had a good understanding of how to torque the wheel (in fact one of the first things I did with AP was get a feel for how much torque is needed for disengagement vs detecting hands on wheel).

It seems strange that people who (claim to) understand the system well still struggle.

I think the differences may be HW v4 vs v3 and cabin camera versions.

And body position, specifically your head, relative to the camera. The driver facing camera is actually quite poorly positioned for it's job and depending on how tall you are, how long your legs are, and your seating position preferences your face can end up right on the edge of the camera's field of view (try it out via the camera previews, making sure your seat is in driving position).

I'm perhaps lucky to be reasonably tall and have very long legs, putting my head more centered in the camera view.

Reactions: JB47394
Right?

From day one of using Autopilot I never struggled with satisfying the nag and have always had a good understanding of how to torque the wheel (in fact one of the first things I did with AP was get a feel for how much torque is needed for disengagement vs detecting hands on wheel).

It seems strange that people who (claim to) understand the system well still struggle.

And body position, specifically your head, relative to the camera. The driver facing camera is actually quite poorly positioned for it's job and depending on how tall you are, how long your legs are, and your seating position preferences your face can end up right on the edge of the camera's field of view (try it out via the camera previews, making sure your seat is in driving position).

I'm perhaps lucky to be reasonably tall and have very long legs, putting my head more centered in the camera view.
I had the same experience as you until recently. From day one in my model 3 for years (since 2018) I had no trouble satisfying the nag. It was pretty effortless and easy. light torque, sometimes occasional, usually with my left hand. Not a problem. My experience has changed very recently. I think some people are wanting to blame the messenger here. For me the stress and difficulty of avoiding strikes has increased about ten-fold starting I think in January. I didn't drive any Tesla between about December 20 and January 13. The January 13 trip was stressful, in terms of avoiding strikes, in a way I have never experienced before.

Reactions: gsmith123

I am not that tall (5'9") and tend to drive in a low position and with the seat forward so that I am close to the steering wheel and don't have to extend my arms to applied steering wheel torque. I think my problems are correlated with the advent of interior camera monitoring.

I had the same experience as you until recently. From day one in my model 3 for years (since 2018) I had no trouble satisfying the nag. It was pretty effortless and easy. light torque, sometimes occasional, usually with my left hand. Not a problem. My experience has changed very recently. I think some people are wanting to blame the messenger here. For me the stress and difficulty of avoiding strikes has increased about ten-fold starting I think in January. I didn't drive any Tesla between about December 20 and January 13. The January 13 trip was stressful, in terms of avoiding strikes, in a way I have never experienced before.
Exactly this. The biggest issue with the Tesla community specifically is they are QUICK to blame the driver and are unwilling to accept that there are problems with features they paid for. It's never the car's fault. There's ALWAYS something you could have done to fix the problem 🤦‍♂️

Exactly this. The biggest issue with the Tesla community specifically is they are QUICK to blame the driver and are unwilling to accept that there are problems with features they paid for. It's never the car's fault. There's ALWAYS something you could have done to fix the problem 🤦‍♂️
Some will never be able to get beyond complaining, can not see the forest for the trees or solve any kind of problem. That's what the rest are for ... to be a sounding board to find solutions. TMC is a good sounding board. Also a good echo chamber for any thoughts positive or negative.

Last edited:
It's never the car's fault.
It's considered unlikely to be the car's fault because the car is manufactured on an assembly line, while the driver was born and raised in environment-unknown. So when somebody makes a claim about a car behaving in a certain way, and that flies in the face of our own experience, we expect some kind of solid evidence that the driver is doing it right and the car is doing it wrong. People are then asking questions because they're open to the possibility that the car is flawed, but the evidence isn't sufficient to convince them.

I'm inclined to believe that there are quality control issues with the driver monitoring systems because I started getting random warning beeps from my own car after these latest updates due to recalls. A message seems to want to show up on the screen, but then it's gone in a heartbeat. From my perspective, they're random, and they may manifest in different ways in cars that were built well after mine, that have hardware changes.

Reactions: PhysicsGuy
Repeating my question above for the messenger:

Per your account you were driving at full attention, hands on the wheel, saw and heard the escalating alerts to apply torque to the wheel, but failed to do so?
No that is incorrect. I saw the alerts, I did torque the wheel and the alerts escalated at normal pace to a strike in spite of the fact that I was torquing the wheel and looking at the road. That is the puzzling aspect.

No that is incorrect. I saw the alerts, I did torque the wheel and the alerts escalated at normal pace to a strike in spite of the fact that I was torquing the wheel and looking at the road. That is the puzzling aspect.
Moreover, in about 50,000 miles over 4+ years driving using FSD, AP, auto steer extensively, this has never happened to me before. I have never gotten a strike before that I did not think was my fault.

Moreover, in about 50,000 miles over 4+ years driving using FSD, AP, auto steer extensively, this has never happened to me before. I have never gotten a strike before that I did not think was my fault.
I had the exact opposite experience. The first 3.5 years, 50K miles I was constantly getting strikes, with a close to 100% false positive rate. Yes, I always kept my hands on the steering wheel. Then starting last spring I would only get nags if I looked at the screen for too long, i.e. false positive rate went to essentially zero. And I haven't gotten a strike in the last 20K of driving.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394