Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need reassurance I am making the right decision on a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please do not buy the Model S. I implore you to wait and buy the Model 3, unless you have money to burn and truly can't wait a year. If you buy a Model S, you will lose a lot of money when the Model 3 plus competitors come out soon.

But, since you are posting here I know you will not listen. It's hard to see a toy in the toy store and not have it today, I get it.

Please do not buy the Model S. I implore you to wait and buy the Model 3, unless you have money to burn and truly can't wait a year. If you buy a Model S, you will lose a lot of money when the Model 3 plus competitors come out soon.

But, since you are posting here I know you will not listen. It's hard to see a toy in the toy store and not have it today, I get it.
Says the guy with $150,000 car.

I found all kinds of ways to rationalize my MS purchase. Being so close to M3 production launch would make it more difficult to rationalize right now. Are you married with an employed spouse? That's one way I looked at it. I only paid $30k for my new MS, and my wife paid $35k for the other half.:p

• Funny
Reactions: oktane and cdub

I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic here...

To the OP, if the financial implications are of grave concern to you, then don't make the plunge. I also hadn't spent more than $35K on a car until I purchased my MS. Being a pretty conservative person, all of that logic about spending too much money on a depreciating asset went right out the window after I test drove it.

As my wife pointed out to me, what's the point in saving all of your money if you never have a chance to enjoy it? Took me about 3 months to finally go out and make the purchase, but every time I drive my car, I feel the same way I do after a fresh haircut...Like a million bucks!

I had a 60D and recently upgraded to 75D. I bought the car for the Autopilot features because of medical reasons. But man, that car is awesome! I will NEVER regret this purchase. Like others have said, I drive more now because it's more fun. I never thought I'd be saying that. I get home from my long commute, and my husband asks if I want to pick up the kid from an afterschool activity. Sure, I'd love too!
The car is a huge splurge. I'm coming from 14 years of driving Honda sedans.

the overall theme of this seems to be 2 things (which is making this a very, very hard decision for me):

1) if I can afford it, go for it because its an incredible car to drive... but be prepared for it to cost a ton (aka it wont make financial sense)
2) there's alot in the pipeline- meaning both in terms of compeition, but also in Tesla's own fleet (for instance- i saw an article stating a crossover might be released in 2019).

decisions, decisions... ive got until Sunday to make the final call. while i can make it work financially, its still alot of money for me. at the same time however, ever since my test drive, i've been having dreams about this car :)

I will say that you need to feel comfortable about making those payments first off. Plus factoring in insurance and other things that will come up.

Interest rates right now are really low so if you were going to finance a car in this upper price range, now really is a good time to do so before rates climb further. Plus there's the Federal tax credit of $7,500 and possibly State credits, utility credits, and some cities have incentives as well.

I will say that we love our 75D. Best car we've ever owned despite the increased cost and don't regret the purchase. Actually want to drive/ride in it all the time.

Last edited:
I just want to make sure that me getting off of a car in which i owe no money, for an expensive electric car, is actually a SMART decision for me
Smart in what way ?

Money maker ? Nah
Makes you happy ? Quite likely
Prudent ? Look at your financial planning, job security, and liquidity.

I personally would refrain from buying a car that requires ongoing employment to make a monthly payment but I am conservative in that way.

Reactions: bonaire
Says the guy with $150,000 car.

I found all kinds of ways to rationalize my MS purchase. Being so close to M3 production launch would make it more difficult to rationalize right now. Are you married with an employed spouse? That's one way I looked at it. I only paid $30k for my new MS, and my wife paid $35k for the other half.:p

I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic here...

To the OP, if the financial implications are of grave concern to you, then don't make the plunge. I also hadn't spent more than $35K on a car until I purchased my MS. Being a pretty conservative person, all of that logic about spending too much money on a depreciating asset went right out the window after I test drove it.

As my wife pointed out to me, what's the point in saving all of your money if you never have a chance to enjoy it? Took me about 3 months to finally go out and make the purchase, but every time I drive my car, I feel the same way I do after a fresh haircut...Like a million bucks!

Not being sarcastic. I got mine over 6 months ago so less time before Model 3. The OP sounded like finances might be tight. I paid way too much and don't want someone else to repeat my foolish mistake. It's nice but not $155,000 nice. I should have gotten an R8 or AMG GTS instead. Probably will cave in and get something sporty in about 6 more months.

Not being sarcastic. I got mine over 6 months ago so less time before Model 3. The OP sounded like finances might be tight. I paid way too much and don't want someone else to repeat my foolish mistake. It's nice but not $155,000 nice. I should have gotten an R8 or AMG GTS instead. Probably will cave in and get something sporty in about 6 more months.

I had three Panamera Turbo's prior to my Tesla - I actually think it's a great alternative to the standard expensive cars mentioned - it's personal choice. I think the Panamera Turbo was the best 4 door in the world but show me a guy married to a supermodel and I'll show you a guy tired of being married to a supermodel - so I get the logic of switching cars - I just hope the Model S refresh will satisfy my desire for something different when it comes out.

Reactions: oktane
As an update, I put down the deposit Sunday night to take advantage of a financing offer- but as you know, i have 7 days to cancel the deposit. So its now crunch time to decide.

the overall theme of this seems to be 2 things (which is making this a very, very hard decision for me):
decisions, decisions... ive got until Sunday to make the final call. while i can make it work financially, its still alot of money for me. at the same time however, ever since my test drive, i've been having dreams about this car :)

And the decision, decision, decision was?

Buy the damn car already lol.

Im only 27 years old and i make less than the average model S owner (who is 54 years old and apparently makes $154k+ a year, whilst the average model x owner makes over $250k year) and i still have plenty of $$ left over every month to do fun stuff.

Buying a car is always a waste of money. Might as well buy a Hyundai Accent if you want to save money but need a car for transportation needs, but that's no fun. You're allowed to waste money on things you like, that's life. Not every dollar you spent has to be used in pursuit of more dollars.

Buy the damn car already lol.

Im only 27 years old and i make less than the average model S owner (who is 54 years old and apparently makes $154k+ a year, whilst the average model x owner makes over $250k year) and i still have plenty of $$ left over every month to do fun stuff.

Buying a car is always a waste of money. Might as well buy a Hyundai Accent if you want to save money but need a car for transportation needs, but that's no fun. You're allowed to waste money on things you like, that's life. Not every dollar you spent has to be used in pursuit of more dollars.

What he said!