Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need reassurance I am making the right decision on a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's why the way to insure happiness when purchasing a high-tech product is to purchase the best you can afford at the time and then never look at another ad, review, or group discussion until your purchase no longer does what you bought it to do. When that time comes, repeat the process.
That evidently works for a great many people. For purchases in general, I guess I've almost always been too frugal to buy the best that I can afford. That includes cars, computers, iPhones, sporting equipment, you name it. With each purchase, I try to look for the sweet spot where I feel that value (to me and to my family) is maximized. We feel that our pre-owned Model S-85 was a superb buy.

That said, I think that today's brand new S-75D and S-100D cars offer tremendous value. (I'm truly impressed by the 335 miles of EPA-rated range on the 100D.)

That's why the way to insure happiness when purchasing a high-tech product is to purchase the best you can afford at the time and then never look at another ad, review, or group discussion until your purchase no longer does what you bought it to do. When that time comes, repeat the process.

Don't listen to @jerry33.

".. and never look at another ad, review, or group discussion .." .. yeah see how well that's working out for all of us on TMC!

• Funny
Reactions: jerry33
As an update, I put down the deposit Sunday night to take advantage of a financing offer- but as you know, i have 7 days to cancel the deposit. So its now crunch time to decide.

Whaaaat? Still not sure? Flip a coin. Heads you let the order confirm, and tails you cancel the order. As soon as that coin is in the air, :eek: guaranteed, you'll know what you hope to happen, and therefore, what your decision should be. :D

Reactions: David29 and Scott-P
Do most of you utilize the pre-paid service plan? I think its like $500/year. If so, what do you pay on top of that for other maintenance (estimate per year). I think this is the aspect I am so stuck on. Without having to take care of normal ICE issues, i'm just wondering what everyone is paying for on top of the pre-paid plans. I cant seem to find a solid answer.

I've blown a few tires from our terribly rainy, pot hole creating winter so, $1200-$1500. Otherwise, I spend more on accessories than anything else. HPWCs, car covers, mats, and other Tesla bling ;) No other maintenance other than pre pay plan for me.

Someone on here mentioned issues with the door handles. I would assume something like that is covered by Tesla? Like outside of damage from an accident, what could go wrong that isnt covered? I asked my sales rep this and he forwarded me the link from the website, but unless I'm missing something, it doesnt give me much detail.

Handles are covered if you are under warranty, drive unit and battery is 8 yrs unlimited miles, anything else is 4 years 50000 miles. Any maintenance items like fluilds/filters/brake pads are not covered and obviously tires are not covered, Note: maintenance plan is not required to validate warranty.

Even if you have maintenance plan, If you want to rotate tires every 6K between annual checkup then you have to pay out of pocket (just make sure the shop you choose know how to jack the car and not destroy the battery); other items like paint protection film, tinting are your expense.

Do most of you utilize the pre-paid service plan? I think its like $500/year. If so, what do you pay on top of that for other maintenance (estimate per year). I think this is the aspect I am so stuck on. Without having to take care of normal ICE issues, i'm just wondering what everyone is paying for on top of the pre-paid plans. I cant seem to find a solid answer.
Since DEC I have had no service issues that were not covered under warranty. I do have a Service plan, so I am budgeting exactly $500 per year for "routine" maintenance.

Buying a TESLA IMHO is also financially smart.

1) avail the Federal Tax Credit of $7,500 while it is there (Not going to be there too long)
2) Safest car on the road (Life is priceless)
3) Driving with electricity is lot cheaper than driving with Gas/Petrol (in my case it I save approx. 67% on cost of fuel)
3) No need to visit gas stations. Your home will be your gas :eek: station.
4) No oil Changes required (Cost Money)
5) No Transmission Service (Cost Money)

and most importantly

6) As of today, the only car that improves over time (through upgrades over the internet) ;)Like Wine
7) Eco Preservative (Friendly)

So, my friend make the choice that is best for you.

Where is the data to back up the "Safest car on the road" claim?

Certainly not the IIHS crash testing, or the European testing.

Two CR batteries, tire rotation, alignment, brake fluid flush, cabin air filter, ac desiccant bag replacement - - surprised they need replacement but not an expensive item, battery coolant replacement ... note: non of these maintenance items if not done will void the warranty.

Other than the battery coolant replacement may be interesting (but the battery warranty is 8 yrs covered and fluid change is not mandated), I am not seeing lots of value for others to add up to 875 to 975 depends on your model ..

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I just signed up here so i apologize if a similar thread exists.. but i am very close to pulling the trigger on a new model s 75D. I currently have an Audi Q5 with just under 60K miles, and its completely paid off. Its given me no issues whatsoever, so i really dont need to get a new car.

However.. i started a new job about a year ago and found out we offer free electric vehicle charging in our parking lot, so that is vasiclaly $100 in free gas each month. I always have wanted a model S so after doing a test drive and playing with some numbers, i have gotten to this point where I am just looking for some reassurance that spending around $50K for a new car is a smart decision.

My justification for it is pretty simple: I spend the $50K over the next 6 years to get a car that should last me at the very least, 15 years... I put maybe 10K miles on a car in a year, and hearing that most tesla batteries maintain like 95% of their charging capacity after 150K miles, i'm led to believe this car should run beautifully (knock on wood) for those 15 years. Then after i reach whatever the battery threshold comes out to be where its time to replace it (does anyone know this milleage # yet?), i'd just cough up the money to get new batteries, essentially giving my model s a new life.

Have I done my research on this enough? Or am i misunderstanding how this should work. I just want to make sure that me getting off of a car in which i owe no money, for an expensive electric car, is actually a SMART decision for me... especially while my Audi has some value (i've been told its worth about $18K).

Looking for some feedback. Thanks everyone!

Did you even give the X a serious look? Just occurred to me you are coming from a SUV to a sedan. Of course the X cost more but comparing the X to an older S at least, I am liking the X better even if there is a cost premium.

Reactions: cdub
I love my MS and I don't want to talk you out of getting one. But as I'm sure you know, it's not the only EV out there that you can plug in at work. And more are coming...

This is probably the best advice posted on this thread. There is a lot of competition in the EV space arriving soon that will provide more choices and more pressure on pricing. With the aging Model S, Tesla will have to respond by better pricing and updating the interior significantly.

One issue you should check is the cost of insurance of the Model S. It can be quite high in relation to an ICE.

Also, as you've found out, maintenance costs for a Model S is significant, where it is free for 4-5 years on many competitor's vehicles.

Some food for thought

Model S starts at ~$70K and goes up to ~$168K
Model 3 starts at ~$35K and goes up to ?

I started my Tesla search with a a model 3 in mind and came to the following conclusions:
1) I did not want to wait any longer ....model 3 in my case was looking like 2019 delivery at best
2) I want to get off fossil fuel ASAP and do my part to reduce my personal CO2 emissions
3) Model 3 at the low end will be just that ..... bare bones , black, and zero extra features (so Elon is spot on with this point)
4) Model 3 is mass market EV ... it looks to be a great sedan... however it is not a cheap car!
5) Model S is in its 6th year of production ... way up the learning curve ... model 3 is for early very adopters so the lower price will likely come with its own costs .....defects etc. especially for year-one(2017) vehicles ....
6) I would also speculate that the Model S will have a much higher residual value than model 3 , I had also investigated purchasing a model S CPO in making my decision and I could not justify CPO vs. new ...model S residual values at least in CPO market are quite good...

So if you can figure out how to afford it ... i would recommend bare bones Model S (which is a fantastic EV btw) and add AP /FSD over time as it improves in reliability and safety

any way ....my bare bones Metallic Silver Model S 75(i did go for the paint :) ) is scheduled for 5/23 delivery in Brooklyn

Reactions: Haxster