Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I need to know about your rattles....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah well I am supposed to wear hearing aids because of high frequency loss. But I don't. Don't really need 'em most of the time. I had some expensive ones and they were ok but then the cat got ahold of one and dropped it in the kitchen sink and it went into the disposal. Literally $3000 down the drain. Well actually I recovered pieces of it but it was definitely beyond repair. Just never bothered to get more and I'm tired of paying extremely high prices for those things. Not the first pair I had. I've probably spent close to $20,000 on hearing aids through the years. Bah. I only have trouble hearing my wife with her high soft voice ... and that ain't a bad thing

I do have high frequency hearing loss. But it only gives me trouble hearing my wife with her high soft voice ... and that ain't a bad thing :)
Growing old sucks. I’m sure lost some hearing watching Jimmy Hendrix play the Starr Spangled Banner at dawn st Woodstock.;)

I have a slight rattle coming from the driver side HVAC. I only hear it when air is set towards the driver. Set to feet and windshield, there is no rattle. Build is Mar.2019 for a LR RWD.

If you can reproduce it then there’s a decent chance the service center can fix it. In my case my. Urgent rattles don’t reproduce easily so it will be difficult for the SC to do much of anything other than stab in the dark.

Reactions: hcdavis3
I have a slight rattle coming from the driver side HVAC. I only hear it when air is set towards the driver. Set to feet and windshield, there is no rattle. Build is Mar.2019 for a LR RWD.

I’ve got a rattle from this area but not under the conditions you described. Mine happens when:

Speed around 25 mph and up
Just taking off on a cool, not cold morning.
Goes away after about 3 miles of driving.
Only happens sometimes with the above
conditions

Needless to say reproducing this will be nearly impossible. I have developed a “grinding” sound on occasion as my steering wheel retracts using easy entry. That one I might be able to reproduce on demand, eventually.

One of my last remaining noises (at least in the current temps we have) seems to be coming from the passenger side mirror. This manifests as a rubbing noise that I would have sworn was coming from the passenger side door, but wiggling the sun visor and putting it at about a 30 degree angle gets it to stop. I've been driving around with it this way for a week and have been in heaven as my car only makes what I would consider "normal" noises while driving around on rough roads.

Even weirder this noise would almost always occur after my wife entered the car even though she wasn't touching the visor, I have to speculate that the anchor point near the sun visor might be involved and the motion of the door opening/closing would move something enough to start making the noise.

It doesn't do it all the time and I'm not sure I want mobile service coming out for this one.

Does anyone know how to remove the sun visor and reinstall it? I'd be interested in taking a stab at fixing it myself before I involved Tesla service.

Mine has a rattle coming from the steering column on rough roads. Pushing the plastic column shroud fixes it for a while.
If it gets annoying enough I'll fix it.
The thing that really annoys me though is a high pitched whistle when driving between 40-55mph.
Its coming from the passenger side rubber trim just under the trunk lid. Every so often I have to open the trunk and reseat the trim piece.
I've got 18k on my now one year old RWD-LR
@voip-ninja what was the trim piece that was reseated to fix your wind noise issue?

Last edited:
My only rattling is from the passenger side seat belt tensioner. I just tuck it to the side of the seat and it’s gone. I drive mostly on roads that would rattle your teeth out of your head. No other rattles.

I haven't noticed any strange rattles over the last 2+ months. I guess between having music on and the fact that my last car made all kinds of fun noises, this experience has been like driving in a cloud-like anechoic chamber to me.

I have two: steering column shroud that goes away when I hold it, and another more annoying one that's getting worse that seems to be above and behind the glovebox, either from whatever's behind there in the climate vents.

I’ve found there are a lot of rattles in my P3D+. Most of them are pretty quiet. But driving over the rough concrete roads in Seattle truly brings out the worst in just about every car. On new asphalt roads it’s as quiet as a mouse.

The only persistent noise that’s a little annoying is this repeating “click” sound from the vents area when I first turn the AC on cold. Sounds like plastic contraction noise. It goes away after a couple of minutes.

So far I haven't heard a single rattle (knock on wood).

Yesterday I took an 18 year old kid out with me for some hard runs because kids can hear frequencies that older people can't, and he said he didn't a single noise other than the Jetsons motor whine as we accelerated.

No jinx!

I have several annoying rattles in my Model 3 which has less than 4,000 miles on the odometer. The car is an August 2018 build.

1. I had an annoying intermittent rattle in the passenger side B pillar near the seatbelt anchor. It would go away if you pushed the anchor. Ranger stuffed felt in behind the roller and seems to have resolved it.

exactly the same location that I have, my car is only 2k miles, delivered in may 3rd. How did you got this part fixed.

My August 2018 Model 3 has turned into rattle factory. It's actually pretty disappointing since I love the car otherwise, but it's noisier than my 6-year old $18K Honda Fit :(

I've taken it into the Bellevue service center multiple times, and they're pretty ineffective:
- First time: The tech claimed one of the rattles was by-design and a product of wind resonance (this later turned out to be the wheel well liner).
- Second time: The tech acknowledged the various sounds and added insulation to a couple places, but I think introduced a rattle in the dash.
- Third time: The techs just couldn't hear anything on my test drive with them. I ended up cancelling my Model Y reservation that day.

I've mostly given up on Tesla service, so I've started trying to repair the rattles myself with some pretty good success so far.

Here are my rattles:
- Dash squeaking (fixed): The squeaking came from the center of my dash but didn't happen all the time. It sometimes happened randomly, or was triggered by a light bump, and would then persist for the rest of the drive. During my 3rd service center visit, I couldn't get it to happen during the test drive, but I showed the technicians the squeaky area and demonstrated the squeak by pressing on it. They refused to do anything. The noise was frustrating enough that I ended up disassembling the dash myself (much easier than expected), and found that they insulated all the contact points during the 2nd visit except 1. I added some insulation to that last one, and it has been silent ever since.

- Front-right wheel well liner (fixed): This was the original rattle that was the focus of the 1st service visit, and was with me for 10 months. I believed the original explanation of wind resonance for a while, but then I noticed that it sometimes doesn't happen, and will suddenly start rattling pretty badly without any apparent cause, which made me think it was an actual rattle. After weeks of randomly taping things (still thinking the wind was causing something to flap), I randomly discovered that the front wheel well liners make a similar sound when I press on them. I added some insulation to the edge of the liner, and that has eliminated the 10-month rattle.

- Front-right door: There's a squeak inside the metal frame of the door. I can trigger it by lightly pressing on the arm rest. I've already removed the door trim panel before, and it's not from that. I've pointed this out to the service center in visits 2 and 3, but I think the people doing the actual repairs are misunderstanding the issue, since the car comes back with the exact same sound. I'm considering disassembling the inner part of the door this weekend too, but am a bit weary since I can't find videos of anyone doing this.

- Suspension: There's a knocking/rolling rocks sound that occurs < 25 mph, especially when turning. It's consistent, I hear it as soon as I back out of my driveway, all the way into the work parking lot. Everyone else in my car can hear this, but incredibly, the techs during the 3rd visit could not hear anything. I probably can't fix this myself, so I'm trying to find a way to convince Tesla that it's a problem.

- Front-right A pillar: This is new within the past few weeks. I'm not certain if it's from this area, but the trim piece is rather loose and makes a rattling sound if I press on it. I'm planning on disassembling this this coming weekend.

- Maybe B pillar? This also seems new (or is at least easier to hear now that I've fixed two other issues). I need to test this one some more before disassembling more trim.

- Vent grinding noise: This happens consistently when turning off the center vent, and seems to be a new noise. I'll probably post a video of this at some point to see what others think. Technicians couldn't even hear the sound.

My August 2018 Model 3 has turned into rattle factory.

My Aug build adds more and more rattles all the time, and I only have 5K miles on it. But they damaged and replaced most interior panels so that definitely didn't help. Every time it goes to service it is worse. Rattles are hard to troubleshoot I am sure, but I have yet to have them fix one after multiple visits.

Reactions: Glamisduner
My August 2018 Model 3 has turned into rattle factory. It's actually pretty disappointing since I love the car otherwise, but it's noisier than my 6-year old $18K Honda Fit :(

I've taken it into the Bellevue service center multiple times, and they're pretty ineffective:
- First time: The tech claimed one of the rattles was by-design and a product of wind resonance (this later turned out to be the wheel well liner).
- Second time: The tech acknowledged the various sounds and added insulation to a couple places, but I think introduced a rattle in the dash.
- Third time: The techs just couldn't hear anything on my test drive with them. I ended up cancelling my Model Y reservation that day.

I've mostly given up on Tesla service, so I've started trying to repair the rattles myself with some pretty good success so far.

Here are my rattles:
- Dash squeaking (fixed): The squeaking came from the center of my dash but didn't happen all the time. It sometimes happened randomly, or was triggered by a light bump, and would then persist for the rest of the drive. During my 3rd service center visit, I couldn't get it to happen during the test drive, but I showed the technicians the squeaky area and demonstrated the squeak by pressing on it. They refused to do anything. The noise was frustrating enough that I ended up disassembling the dash myself (much easier than expected), and found that they insulated all the contact points during the 2nd visit except 1. I added some insulation to that last one, and it has been silent ever since.

- Front-right wheel well liner (fixed): This was the original rattle that was the focus of the 1st service visit, and was with me for 10 months. I believed the original explanation of wind resonance for a while, but then I noticed that it sometimes doesn't happen, and will suddenly start rattling pretty badly without any apparent cause, which made me think it was an actual rattle. After weeks of randomly taping things (still thinking the wind was causing something to flap), I randomly discovered that the front wheel well liners make a similar sound when I press on them. I added some insulation to the edge of the liner, and that has eliminated the 10-month rattle.

- Front-right door: There's a squeak inside the metal frame of the door. I can trigger it by lightly pressing on the arm rest. I've already removed the door trim panel before, and it's not from that. I've pointed this out to the service center in visits 2 and 3, but I think the people doing the actual repairs are misunderstanding the issue, since the car comes back with the exact same sound. I'm considering disassembling the inner part of the door this weekend too, but am a bit weary since I can't find videos of anyone doing this.

- Suspension: There's a knocking/rolling rocks sound that occurs < 25 mph, especially when turning. It's consistent, I hear it as soon as I back out of my driveway, all the way into the work parking lot. Everyone else in my car can hear this, but incredibly, the techs during the 3rd visit could not hear anything. I probably can't fix this myself, so I'm trying to find a way to convince Tesla that it's a problem.

- Front-right A pillar: This is new within the past few weeks. I'm not certain if it's from this area, but the trim piece is rather loose and makes a rattling sound if I press on it. I'm planning on disassembling this this coming weekend.

- Maybe B pillar? This also seems new (or is at least easier to hear now that I've fixed two other issues). I need to test this one some more before disassembling more trim.

- Vent grinding noise: This happens consistently when turning off the center vent, and seems to be a new noise. I'll probably post a video of this at some point to see what others think. Technicians couldn't even hear the sound.

Sounds like you've got it even worse than me!

Tesla technician tried to address the rather obnoxious but intermittent (it did present on a test drive and they acknowledged it) dashboard rattling and it seemed like it was fixed but it resurfaced. The kid who did the repair was maybe 20 years old so it's entirely possible that he simply missed something.

You indicated it's pretty easy to disassemble it, could you describe it? I've looked at the parts diagram but am finding it a bit daunting.

One point of confusion is that the lead service tech referred to my problem as a dash pad that needed replacement but the Model 3 does not have a dash pad.... it has a monocoque dash that then has the screen, glove box, trim and vent assembly all clipped onto it. Kind of worrying that a lead tech didn't know this stuff.

I'm hoping owners like yourself that are a little braver than the rest of us would be kind enough to start making videos of some of this stuff so we owners can start addressing the issues on our own rather than relying on Tesla service.

I did track down one of my other problems that's been haunting me from almost day one. I had this rubbing/shifting sound periodically when going over small bumps and I would have sworn it was coming from somewhere inside the A pillar, B pillar or front passenger door. I observed that the problem occurred more frequently after my wife had entered exited the vehicle and one day when the problem was particularly obnoxious I reached over while driving slowly and started pushing on everything I could. I happened to grab the passenger side sun visor and twisted it out of the stowed position a little bit and the noise stopped.

I've since been driving with the visor in that position for weeks and that particular noise has not come back. So I've asked mobile service to come out and replace that part since the only explanation I can come up with is that the visor is defective.

I would really like to tackle checking into what was done to quiet the dashboard rattling the first time they "fixed" it and see if I can improve it myself so please share some info.

Bonus points if anyone has a solution to the rear license plate frame bolt bosses constantly popping out of the trunk. I don't want to glue them in but man they are driving me nuts, plate is going to fall off one of these days.

Love how these cars drive but not in love with how they are put together.

What gets me is the service. I too have a couple of rattles. One in the A pillar on the driver's side. It comes and goes but it's mostly at city speeds. The other is mostly there which is the attenuators on the HVAC when the fans are blowing in your face. It doesn't happen when it's set to feet or defrost. I can hear it when stopped or parked mostly...it's like a slight humming. It's faint but it isn't just the "whoosh" of air.

Now...the service center in Watertown MA is downright useless for things like this. Not only do they lack patience in wanting to hear and resolve, I had one "lead tech" actually get out of the car and just walk away from me when I was trying to reproduce. I told the advisor do not ever let him work on my car again. Luckily, I am in NH and have Electrified Garage who are more than willing to help me diagnose this.

For the most part, I don't have rattles. However, the ones I do have should be an easy fix with some foam/tape, etc. I could do it myself but my point on a new car is why should I? What I am most upset about is the service personnel. I've found that they lack communication skills like writing back to you but also when you actually get there, it's really about just getting you off their backs. They claim things like "it's supposed to sound that way, they all do that, or I can't fix it". I don't even know how to get to management to complain.