Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I see so many model Y owners having issues. Would you buy again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100% would buy again. I've been a Jeep guy my whole life, with a couple of Acura's thrown in the mix. Still have my 12 JKU. Here's the thing, forums are made for people to go to and get help/opinions on things that are happening to them with their car. So naturally, you see a lot of things that are wrong/issues popping up with that specific car. That stays true with ANY car in any forum.

With that said, I have never looked as meticulously as I did when I picked up my MYP with any other purchase, EVER. I was told to do that with the forums and just in general what you hear about Tesla's. So I looked it over with a fine tooth comb. Do that with any car and you're likely to find things that are also wrong.

Lastly, always remember, Tesla is a tech company that makes cars; not a car company that makes tech. Once you really understand that, you understand and can let go of some of the little issues here and there.

Also, picked up mine with practically no issues at all!

I'm a couple weeks into Model Y ownership, and at the moment I would not buy this car again. I traded-in a Model 3, and I would definitely get that car again. In fact, I might just get rid of my Y, and go back to the 3. My Model S was also an amazing car, but you have to like bigger cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: tierneyalvin
I'm a couple weeks into Model Y ownership, and at the moment I would not buy this car again. I traded-in a Model 3, and I would definitely get that car again. In fact, I might just get rid of my Y, and go back to the 3. My Model S was also an amazing car, but you have to like bigger cars.

What happened? Build issues or ?

@magicnote I'd also like to know please

love the car but wouldn't buy another tesla as a first year model...had alignment, paint and interior panel issues that took over 6 visits to fix. first mechanical issue yesterday with multiple parking brake and sensor errors popping up when I started the car. Car wouldn't move. Had it towed to the service center.

I take back the part about the mechanical issue. Ended up being rodents chewing through some of the wiring connected to the brakes...

100% would buy the Y again.

From what I’ve been reading, it seems the build quality (i.e., panel gaps) has been much much better in the builds of the past 1-2 months. I’ve read quite a few ppl saying they had no panel gap issues.

I would not let the forums scare you away from a MY. I ordered mine Labor Day weekend and took delivery at end of September and it was the first time I was slightly concerned about the build quality...b/c of all the negative posts on the internet...and it turned out to be fine. Like others have said, ppl complain on the internet they don’t come to just say their car was perfect or fine.

I had 4 small cosmetic issues. Three were resolved in my first and only service center appointment and the third was a paint blemish on a location you’d never see unless you were scrutinizing the paint quality. My cosmetic issues were:
1. Driver door handle was recessed. Fixed by the SC.
2. Leading edge of the passenger front door was recessed compared to the front quarter panel. Fixed by SC.
3. Paint blemish. Pointed it out to the service advisor and told him I didn’t care about it but just wanted it documented. When I picked up the car later the same day, he told me they installed Homelink for free. I was more than happy with that!
4. Driver side wiper blade was missing the plastic cap that covers the nut. Stopped by my SC and asked for the cover. They gave me one in about 5 mins and I popped it on myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Recent Model Y owner, love the car ... hate the ride. What an awful harsh ride around town. We have a twenty year old low mileage Audi TT that rides better. I’ve ordered a set of coil over suspension and will try that. If that doesn’t do it I’m going to sell/trade the model Y for something else...

It will work. Tesla selects the lowest bid for shocks and then asks the vendor to redesign them to reduce the cost by a further 50%. As a result, any good aftermarket shock makes a huge difference.

I would buy again. Many of the panel gap and trim issues resolved in the month or two before I took delivery. I can understand the frustration of early adopters of the MY, but I am extremely pleased with mine. My wife has commented that her next car is likely and Model 3 (currently Mercedes A220).

Recent Model Y owner, love the car ... hate the ride. What an awful harsh ride around town. We have a twenty year old low mileage Audi TT that rides better. I’ve ordered a set of coil over suspension and will try that. If that doesn’t do it I’m going to sell/trade the model Y for something else...

I found the 20s rode harsher, that’s why I went with the 19s. What wheels do you have?

I’m seeing model Y owner’s experiencing issue after issue. This personally worries me as I have a model Y on order and don’t have the time to deal with service issues and inoperable cars. Would you buy the car again given what you know after being an owner or would you go a different route? Open to all honesty.

Had a 3 so I’m not a new customer. My Y came in September with no issues at all. Satisfied customer and yes I would buy it again and again and again. btw I don’t have home charging. I would normally charge at work but since I’m remote, it’s all supercharging....and yes I’ll still buy it.

I find these discussions about the quality of the Model Y or other Models entertaining. I got my Y in November and it now has 6K miles on it. No problems. One minor rattle is all. When I picked it up I looked at the other cars in the lot that were there waiting for their owners. I did not see any issues with any of them. I really got entertained by some new owners going over the vehicle with intense scrutiny. Why did I get entertained? I buy cars for a living and work in the auto industry and have for years. I have seen and driven just about every car available. What some people complain about is generally nothing. Is the Tesla perfect? No. It is a great car. I owned a 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor LR. I put 31k on it and it was time for new tires so I traded it in on the 21 Model Y. The Tesla has a warranty that is all anyone needs to be concerned about. Yes, some will have issues. ALL CARS DO! It would shock you to know the truth about a number of "luxury car" and their problems. I challenge you to find a better car for the money. If you don't like it buy one of the "luxury cars" and put up with those problems. I sat in a $100k luxury car yesterday and it took me a few minutes to figure out how to start it and put it in gear. It was so complex the owner did not know how to use most of the buttons and features. In a few hours, I will get up and walk across the lot full of luxury cars and unplug my Tesla Model Y. I will get on the freeway and put it in AutoPilot and head home. I will enjoy a sweet ride that is really fantastic. Is it perfect? No! But it is as good as or better than anything on the freeway today. And it is getting better. AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE YOUR TESLA THEN SELL IT TO ME. I buy cars for a living.

So true..,the guy at delivery told me that people slide under the car to look for issues. . I gave it a quick look and I was on my way. Like you, I’ve owned a 3 prior and now have a Y...I’ll buy it 10 times over. I love my car. The only initial hesitation was that I loved the 3 too much that I didn’t think I’ll love the Y but the Y is just perfect for me

first - I would absolutely buy again.

Keep in mind - a Tesla owner is a pioneer. Yes Tesla has quality control issues - but most issues are fit and finish and they have gotten better. The car is like no other in many ways. If you buy a Tesla -- you will have to tolerate some growing pains with Tesla....