Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I see so many model Y owners having issues. Would you buy again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few cosmetic issues that Tesla Service is working on, like the corner of the spoiler constantly coming unglued.

If the MY ride quality was an issue, I would hear from my wife. She complained about ride of the MS loaner which had air suspension. Moreover, I live on a twisty hilly road with periodic hairpin turns and those 21” tires provide phenomenal handling. Puts a smile on my face every time. Would not want to change the suspension.

Yes, happy with my purchase.

Reactions: mark95476
I haven't had any issues at all. I've had niggles, but nothing I would consider a problem. Got all the body panels gaps fixed and having my window issue fixed next week at home. I love not having to take my car to a service center for repairs. I would absolutely buy again. As a matter of fact, I have another Model Y and a Model 3 on order.

At this point in time, I would not buy again. I have a major issue with a loud whining sound coming from the rear of my vehicle and the SC has not been helpful. I would advise seeing if your delivery center would allow you to drive the car a bit before taking the vehicle. It's unlikely but worth a shot.
MY Loud Whine

I had a bunch of issues in the first couple months of ownership with two MX. I ordered a MY at lease end because the front windshield and falcon wing doors just didn’t do it for me. The MY has a ton of build quality issues, but none of the major MCU issues I had with the MX. I would say the MYP ride quality is just German sport / performance. No different from over a decade of BMWs with run flats.

Yes, I placed an order for another MYP as our second car scheduled for delivery in a couple weeks. If you want electric, Tesla just wins the range, performance and charging infrastructure.

What happened? Build issues or ?

@magicnote I'd also like to know please

Ok, here is my longer explanation. First of all, I'm experiencing issues with ear pain/pressure related to some kind of booming resonance or buffeting when I drive over even moderately rough roads in the Y. I don't know if this is a defect with my particular car, or a design issue with all Model Ys that especially bothersome to me, or just something that can be fixed with a service appointment. You can read all about that in another long thread in these forums if you feel like it. I will just leave that out of my assessment since it's something that could potentially be fixed.

Here is my take on the Model Y LR AWD in particular. I have owned a Model S and Model 3. The S was a great car. I loved the power, the smooth ride, and the cargo space. I did find the car to be too big for city driving and a little too heavy for my taste. My model 3 was the best car that I have every owned. The ride was a little stiff for urban streets and it was tight on space for road trips, but the handling was amazing and I loved every drive in that car.

After owning both of those cars, and not really needing both of them, I decided that I would sell them both and get the Model Y. It seemed like it would be a great middle ground between the other two Teslas that I had - more cargo/passenger space and a smoother ride, but still nimble and sporty. Instead, I feel like Tesla gave us the worst of both worlds.

I had heard that the Y had a stiff ride, but since I was coming from a Model 3 with stiff ride I figured it had to be better than that. I was wrong. The ride on my Model Y is much rougher, and the driving is not as sporty as the Model 3. There is no reason for this to be true. People that want a true performance driving experience can get a performance Model 3 or Model S. And if you need the small SUV form factor and can have only one car, then the performance Model Y is a great option. The SR and LR AWD Model Ys should have a smoother ride. That is what most buyers of small SUVs want and expect. You can read all about people buying after-market suspension kits to try to fix the ride on the Model Y. I get why they are doing that, but it's ridiculous that they have to do it. Tesla should have taken care of that with the design of the car. The stock tires are no pleasure either. They are loud and ride hard. I'm sure that's directly related to the low rolling resistance that Tesla needs to try to get the estimated range higher, but you still have to deal with the terrible ride. Sure you can replace the tires, and many people do. But if you have to replace the tires and suspension that come with a car, maybe the manufacturer is doing something wrong.

As for the extra cargo space, that's nice. In retrospect, it's not worth it for me to have that if it means a degraded everyday driving experience. My Model 3 didn't have enough cargo space for some of the long trips I went on with my family. It's my own fault for thinking I should get a car with more interior cargo space. I should have just bought a roof box for my 3 and put in on the car for the handful of times in a year that we needed it. The rest of time, I could have enjoyed the driving dynamics of the Model 3. I know I said I would leave the ear pressure issue out of this, but the increased interior volume might be contributing factor to that booming resonance.

Ok, that's the end of my rant. I'm sure there are lots of people that love their Model Ys, and I'm happy they are driving a car that they love. Maybe if I can get my issues resolved, I will be one of those people too. I will say that my car doesn't have any issues with paint, panel gaps, interior trim, or any of that kind of stuff that seemed to be a problem in the past. The design choices around the ride and suspension are bugging me though. Anyway, that's just one perspective from a former Model S and Model 3 owner.

Buy the car that works for you and enjoy it!

I’ve had my MY for 2 months or so. I’m on the fence about keeping the car long term. There is a lot to love but also a lot that gets under my skin. For example, I’ve been to the service center 5 times since I purchased the car. At one point they replaced my steering wheel which was scratched with an older model steering wheel. They still haven’t fixed the rattles (more than one) in my rear seat. Even my wife has commented several times that this is not normal for a premium priced car.

From a ride perspective, on the freeway it’s butter smooth. On local streets it is really rough. If the seats weren’t so nice and soft, the ride would be miserable. I can only imagine what the ride is like on the performance model.

Anyway, I’m going to stay with it and hope the remainder of my issues are sorted out. Time will tell if I will keep it long term.

Reactions: magicnote
have a 89xxx vin from December 2020. Wife loves it. Bigly(c). (its her vehicle).

The fit/finish upon delivery was great, actually. So far, have had zero issues. It is the LR version with 20" inductions, not the performance. But compared to her previous vehicle (Rx350 Lexus), the acceleration to her is explosive/instant. "Almost too fast" has been her comment to me, and she absolutely does not want me to get her the $2k acceleration boost. Has regular AP, and I agree, that $10k for FSD is nowhere near worth it right now. She has emphatically stated that she is never going back to non EV again. And she's never complained about ride quality. In fact, to her its "even smoother than the lexus".

PS Its NOT smoother than the Rx350. With the skinnier all season tires and softer suspension, the RX350 rode much smoother. But the fact that the Y has overall less NVH via lack of transmission/gears shifting, no driveshaft, no differential, no engine vibration, no noise, etc..the overall effect to her, is that its "smoother". But I dont tell her all of that.I just let her think..its a smoother ride. ;-)

Ok, here is my longer explanation. First of all, I'm experiencing issues with ear pain/pressure related to some kind of booming resonance or buffeting when I drive over even moderately rough roads in the Y. I don't know if this is a defect with my particular car, or a design issue with all Model Ys that especially bothersome to me, or just something that can be fixed with a service appointment. You can read all about that in another long thread in these forums if you feel like it. I will just leave that out of my assessment since it's something that could potentially be fixed.
/QUOTE]

I would not buy a Model Y again. The ear pain/pressure was really bad when I got the car. It made the ride very uncomfortable for my wife and I. It was very pronounced on the highway. Thankfully, I have since been able to mitigate problem by removing the tow hitch cover and adjusting the A/C vents to be more level after reading on various forums that A/C vents direction could potentially have an effect.

And as for the booming resonance, it's bad at lower speeds on a rough road. I've noticed this on other cars, but the volume of it is significantly lower. It's loud in the model y! Weirdly enough, I have noticed putting the rear seats down seems to help a little for some reason or it's just me wanting to believe it helps...lol

I suspect the booming resonance is some sort of design defect with the Y that contributed to Tesla deciding to do away with their 7 day return policy during the Model Y production ramp.

I would not buy a Model Y again. The ear pain/pressure was really bad when I got the car. It made the ride very uncomfortable for my wife and I. It was very pronounced on the highway. Thankfully, I have since been able to mitigate problem by removing the tow hitch cover and adjusting the A/C vents to be more level after reading on various forums that A/C vents direction could potentially have an effect.

And as for the booming resonance, it's bad at lower speeds on a rough road. I've noticed this on other cars, but the volume of it is significantly lower. It's loud in the model y! Weirdly enough, I have noticed putting the rear seats down seems to help a little for some reason or it's just me wanting to believe it helps...lol

I suspect the booming resonance is some sort of design defect with the Y that contributed to Tesla deciding to do away with their 7 day return policy during the Model Y production ramp.

I would for sure. Only thing I might do in the future is buy an X if I happened to have that much money laying around. More room, more luxury. But other than that, I would buy another Y in a heartbeat. Only negative for me is that the stock tires (20") are terrible, so you'll need real snow tires if you live in the cold.

Here is my take on the Model Y LR AWD in particular. I have owned a Model S and Model 3. The S was a great car. I loved the power, the smooth ride, and the cargo space. I did find the car to be too big for city driving and a little too heavy for my taste. My model 3 was the best car that I have every owned. The ride was a little stiff for urban streets and it was tight on space for road trips, but the handling was amazing and I loved every drive in that car.

After owning both of those cars, and not really needing both of them, I decided that I would sell them both and get the Model Y. It seemed like it would be a great middle ground between the other two Teslas that I had - more cargo/passenger space and a smoother ride, but still nimble and sporty. Instead, I feel like Tesla gave us the worst of both worlds.

I had heard that the Y had a stiff ride, but since I was coming from a Model 3 with stiff ride I figured it had to be better than that. I was wrong. The ride on my Model Y is much rougher, and the driving is not as sporty as the Model 3. There is no reason for this to be true. People that want a true performance driving experience can get a performance Model 3 or Model S. And if you need the small SUV form factor and can have only one car, then the performance Model Y is a great option. The SR and LR AWD Model Ys should have a smoother ride. That is what most buyers of small SUVs want and expect. You can read all about people buying after-market suspension kits to try to fix the ride on the Model Y. I get why they are doing that, but it's ridiculous that they have to do it. Tesla should have taken care of that with the design of the car. The stock tires are no pleasure either. They are loud and ride hard. I'm sure that's directly related to the low rolling resistance that Tesla needs to try to get the estimated range higher, but you still have to deal with the terrible ride. Sure you can replace the tires, and many people do. But if you have to replace the tires and suspension that come with a car, maybe the manufacturer is doing something wrong.

As for the extra cargo space, that's nice. In retrospect, it's not worth it for me to have that if it means a degraded everyday driving experience. My Model 3 didn't have enough cargo space for some of the long trips I went on with my family. It's my own fault for thinking I should get a car with more interior cargo space. I should have just bought a roof box for my 3 and put in on the car for the handful of times in a year that we needed it. The rest of time, I could have enjoyed the driving dynamics of the Model 3. I know I said I would leave the ear pressure issue out of this, but the increased interior volume might be contributing factor to that booming resonance.

Ok, that's the end of my rant. I'm sure there are lots of people that love their Model Ys, and I'm happy they are driving a car that they love. Maybe if I can get my issues resolved, I will be one of those people too. I will say that my car doesn't have any issues with paint, panel gaps, interior trim, or any of that kind of stuff that seemed to be a problem in the past. The design choices around the ride and suspension are bugging me though. Anyway, that's just one perspective from a former Model S and Model 3 owner.

Not sure if you've seen, but there is a looooooong thread with regards to ear pain/booming. Search Ear Pain and you'll find it....

I use FSD features every time I drive.

- Green light and stop sign recognization
- Chime on green lights (simplest sounding feature, but probably the most useful for me)
- Autolane changes
- Autopark: Never even tried it, I park myself
- Summon: Never even tried it

They're testing autosteer on city streets, which I'll rarely use where I live. It might be useful when I travel, but I generally like navigating myself.

I would never buy FSD again. Pipedream.

Dont get me started on the Beta testers, my money says that they were some type of influencer and probably didnt pay for FSD in the first place.

Last edited:
I’m seeing model Y owner’s experiencing issue after issue. This personally worries me as I have a model Y on order and don’t have the time to deal with service issues and inoperable cars. Would you buy the car again given what you know after being an owner or would you go a different route? Open to all honesty.
No issues with either my wife’s or my Model Y. We would buy again in a heartbeat.

Absolutely! I have a LR with the 19" Geminis, but the handling is still amazing for me. Not regretting anything, but I wonder about the P with improve suspension and meaty rubber.

I got behind someone in a Kia Stinger (with aftermarket spoiler?) this past weekend that liked driving in the mountains as much as I do. The SUV ahead of us pulled into the turn-out and we both blasted past. The Stinger driver was very quick and we had a lot of fun all the way to the top. :)

KIA_Stinger_vs_MY.jpg

There are a few cosmetic issues that Tesla Service is working on, like the corner of the spoiler constantly coming unglued.

If the MY ride quality was an issue, I would hear from my wife. She complained about ride of the MS loaner which had air suspension. Moreover, I live on a twisty hilly road with periodic hairpin turns and those 21” tires provide phenomenal handling. Puts a smile on my face every time. Would not want to change the suspension.

Yes, happy with my purchase.

Reactions: Koolio46

Echoing the sentiments regarding the buffeting/booming resonance issues. Picked ours up on friday and two things immediately stuck out. 1. The AC system is pathetic in the Y compared to the 3. Cannot point the vents to the upper part of the cabin like the 3, the flow of the vents are anemic, and the air doesn't come out cold at all, and 2. the buffeting/pressure/resonance is unbearable. Thought maybe windows were open, but nope.

Can't believe no one at Tesla caught these issues beforehand. I'm a super tesla bull and love everything about the company but the Y issues are crazy...the buffeting issues have been around for the Model S, and they still can't get these issues resolved with the Y? I'm beginning to miss my truck that we traded in. ugh...

A little late to the party, but we got our MY on new year's eve - one of those, "sell everything you can before midnight." We'd gone 18 months after ordering without hearing a thing, then got a call at 5pm on Dec 31 to switch from RWD to AWD and pick it up immediately.

So we did.

The only issue we had is the (known) driver side mirror issue. I reported it and they came out and fixed it (snip, snip!).

I have heard just enough of the low frequency booming sounds to understand what people are talking about, but my wife and daughters have never noticed it and it hasn't been enough of a problem to bother me.

Everything else has been perfect. We're 2 road trips in so far and I'd say things have been even better than expected. Really the only question is how long we hold out before replacing our minivan with something electric.

Reactions: DanDi58