Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I see so many model Y owners having issues. Would you buy again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't buy another car made on the current Fremont line. If Austin has better quality control, I would buy a car made there. Love the concept and tech, but the execution is too sloppy.
Agree 100%. Had my car for 1 year and have had lots of fit/finish issues. Concept and tech are amazing though. I hope Austin plant can improve upon things. I’d be open to buying again in that case but this car will hopefully be around for a long time, so no rush!

Recent Model Y owner, love the car ... hate the ride. What an awful harsh ride around town. We have a twenty year old low mileage Audi TT that rides better. I’ve ordered a set of coil over suspension and will try that. If that doesn’t do it I’m going to sell/trade the model Y for something else...
Wow, I took delivery on my model Y about 3 weeks ago and love the ride. However I love “feeling the road”. Yes that means a bumpier ride on rough roads, but I tend to seek out cars like this because I like tight responsive cars.

I’ll counter the ‘bad quality’ guys by noting that my car (2/14) build was perfect quality-wise. I never buy early production models of any car. I prefer to wait until they iron things out, which it appears they have. And I love the ride/handling compromise. I find the car to be very comfortable. I’d do the same again.

Reactions: rxlawdude and tomas
I was an early adopter and I'm very happy with my Fremont build. People complain about Tesla Service Center, but I haven't been to mine (Santa Clara) in a very long time. I had some minor stuff that they fixed, got a factory hitch receiver installed, and I've been driving my car every since. I did diagnose a rear seat rattle and had a ranger come out and tighten a torx bolt late last year.

I have high expectations and am I'm a bit worried about my CyberTruck. MY had something like 70% reuse with the M3 so it wasn't like it was a clean sheet design. You had the same factory and assembly lines pumping out M3 now tweaking things for the MY. CT is completely new and Austin is completely new.

I’ll counter the ‘bad quality’ guys by noting that my car (2/14) build was perfect quality-wise. I never buy early production models of any car. I prefer to wait until they iron things out, which it appears they have. And I love the ride/handling compromise. I find the car to be very comfortable. I’d do the same again.

I would not buy a Model Y again. The ear pain/pressure was really bad when I got the car. It made the ride very uncomfortable for my wife and I. It was very pronounced on the highway. Thankfully, I have since been able to mitigate problem by removing the tow hitch cover and adjusting the A/C vents to be more level after reading on various forums that A/C vents direction could potentially have an effect.

And as for the booming resonance, it's bad at lower speeds on a rough road. I've noticed this on other cars, but the volume of it is significantly lower. It's loud in the model y! Weirdly enough, I have noticed putting the rear seats down seems to help a little for some reason or it's just me wanting to believe it helps...lol

I suspect the booming resonance is some sort of design defect with the Y that contributed to Tesla deciding to do away with their 7 day return policy during the Model Y production ramp.
Hi, I just got my MS, few weeks ago, I have the same problem with the ear pressure on highway. It is basically driving with pain. Could I pls tell me what u mean by “removing tow hitch and adjusting the AC”. Greatly appreciated.

I would buy another MY and I did. First MYP was 75,XXX and the most recent is 311,XXX. It helps to be levelset on expectations. I got exactly what I expected to get from Tesla. I believe that’s where much of the rub comes from with folks who sour on the brand. Their expectations were not properly calibrated.

Reactions: DanDi58
Would I buy again - HELL YES. My 2020 LR AWD built and delivered in July 2020 and now sitting at 12K+ miles has been about as flawless as ANY of the 40+ cars I have owned since 1968 and that include IMPORTS and European spec vehicles when I was stationed in Europe for 12 years with the USAF. Having said that, it’s a complex machine and things will break. The main issue I think is how each Service Center responds. We all know how bad legacy dealerships can be, but some SC’er are no better. For me my SC in STL has been fabulous for the few things I needed taken care of.

I do believe Tesla needs more Service Centers and better communications and they need to STOP delivering vehicles with obvious flaws. Fix It Before Delivery (FIBD).

Last edited:
Hi, I just got my MS, few weeks ago, I have the same problem with the ear pressure on highway. It is basically driving with pain. Could I pls tell me what u mean by “removing tow hitch and adjusting the AC”. Greatly appreciated.
There is a long thread entitled 'Ear Pain' in the MY forum (which is where you are - although I think you said you had a MS?) that covers potential fixes extensively - with the MY.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Our LRMY has not been w/o it's issues but they've been fixed at no cost. I was going to order a model 3 to replace my Chevy Bolt that GM is in the process of buying back, but the current Tesla Vision system is going to have to improve before I do or the option of plain (non-adaptive) cruise control would need to be made available. Right now that's the only thing stopping me from ordering a LR 3. I would not buy a Y for the same reason, plus the price is just too high now IMHO.

There is a long thread entitled 'Ear Pain' in the MY forum (which is where you are - although I think you said you had a MS?) that covers potential fixes extensively - with the MY.

The current MS models feature active road noise reduction technology (I'm assuming similar to headphone ANC?), which I would imagine could create a pressurized feel (again similar to ANC headphones):

A 22-speaker, 960-watt audio system offers the best listening experience, wherever you are, and new microphones enable Active Road Noise Reduction.​

The current MS models feature active road noise reduction technology (I'm assuming similar to headphone ANC?), which I would imagine could create a pressurized feel (again similar to ANC headphones):
I'm not sure that it's been rolled out yet. I think DAerik on Youtube were still awaiting that update for their new MS, last time I checked. It definitely didn't come with their car when they picked it up a couple months ago, right, @MorrisonHiker ?

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung