Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I think I have the wrong Tesla and I kinda hate it, lol

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@acarney a car is always going to drive better than its CUV counterpart if your prefer performance and handling over capacity and a softer comfort ride. The question you need to ask yourself is during all the time you owned a Y how often did you need the extra space a CUV provides. If the answer is rarely then you may be better off with the upcoming all new 2024 Model 3. Since its the only car in the family, you may want to ask how the rest of your family feels about it also.

HW4 and upgraded cameras have already been confirmed to be put in the latest production units of Model Y hitting the streets so the Model 3 can't be far away now. Honestly I would considering buying a 2023 M3 with HW4/high-res cameras with the current discount promotions even knowing the new M3 will be bigger, but I would not consider HW3 and the low res cameras at this point.
That’s the thing… I rarely use the extra size, but I HAVE used it a handful of times over the two or so years I’ve had a Y (long range and then performance). It’s been so nice just tossing stuff in the Y and I’ve been wowed each time at just how much it holds… but like I said, maybe twice a year, maybe less than that.

Get the Model 3 Performance and sell the ugly Uberturbines. Then go buy some lightweight 19s that you like. I see inventory P3Ds going for like $51k on the website right now and are eligible for the full $7500 credit. For $44k net you could have an 11 second car thats cheaper to operate than a Toyota Corolla no matter what size rims you decide to run.
Or get the V1 20” gunmetal M3 Perf rims and put some 245/35/20 Michelin AS4’s on them 😉 lights than the Uber turbines by far but handling is fantastic plus AS wear and comfort.

This is my 22’ LR w/boost and hands down the most fun car I have ever driven!
Best value of range and performance :)

IMG_1852.jpeg
IMG_1284.jpeg

I totally understand where OP is coming from. I had a MY LR and added boost. Had to be one of the most boring cars I owned. I got sucked into the "you'll need more room than the 3" yada yada and you can't tow with the 3. Terrible mistake to buy that car. Honestly, I'd buy a Hyundai or Kia before I'd buy another Y.

I ended up with an M3 LR, added boost, and have one of the most fun cars I've ever owned. It made the Y feel like a tank. Efficiency is so much better. Still a lot of room in the car. A lot more fun to drive. I just added MPP coilovers and it made a good car, even better. I couldn't convince my wife to go with either a MYP or M3P because of how badly they rode. I think the M3 LR with boost, and coilovers, makes for a better daily driver than the M3P and for less cash. Of course I could add coilovers to the M3P but all the P really has is a little bit quicker to 60 and worse range. So I'd have to dump the 20's on the M3P as well.

All in all, I never miss my Y and think the 3 is the vastly better car. A M3 LR with boost is about as quick as the MYP to 60 and quicker on up. My Y guzzled electrons faster than my Plaid in highway cruising. The 3 is just so much fun to drive on a daily basis I often chose it over the Plaid.

@acarney As for hating the Y, I'll pretty much say it straight up, I think I hated my Y almost as much as I like my 3.

Last edited:
Get the Model 3 Performance and sell the ugly Uberturbines. Then go buy some lightweight 19s that you like. I see inventory P3Ds going for like $51k on the website right now and are eligible for the full $7500 credit. For $44k net you could have an 11 second car thats cheaper to operate than a Toyota Corolla no matter what size rims you decide to run.
23 PM3 here. I don't see many "lightweight" rims being any better than the Uberturbines regarding reliability.

Turbines are not that ugly; besides, they are way more robust than people are led to believe. Yes, I hit a large rock going 50mph and a $570 tire replacement bill, but these rims are purpose-built to handle the vehicle's weight, can take impacts (some impacts,) and leads to better high-speed dynamics for cruising, in my opinion.

I was once a tire mechanic, and in an ideal world, I'd love to have meaty tires and keep the big breaks, but the performance is just insane with how they currently function. My main point is that these wheels and tires are not cheap but will be ideal to have mounted in a high-speed hazard scenario--speaking from experience.

I would like to have something like this some day.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 5.30.16 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 5.30.16 PM.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: canasion35
I'm wondering how the new 3's and Y's will be accepted by the masses when prospective buyers ponder the absence of turn signal and gear changing stalks, common wiper and cruise control interfaces. I, for one, am glad I didn't wait another year. I'm one of those - who like the stalks being on the steering column.

My first Tesla was a M3P and I didn't think I'd get used to the Stalk or Center display. I never liked not having a driver display, but I fell in love with the connivence of the stalk vs traditional gear shift. I bet in time the system will win people over, change can be difficult sometimes.

That’s the thing… I rarely use the extra size, but I HAVE used it a handful of times over the two or so years I’ve had a Y (long range and then performance). It’s been so nice just tossing stuff in the Y and I’ve been wowed each time at just how much it holds… but like I said, maybe twice a year, maybe less than that.

Get yourself a M3 and a Ford Maverick or Hyundai Santacruz, problem solved :)

Reactions: rpiotro
Or get the V1 20” gunmetal M3 Perf rims and put some 245/35/20 Michelin AS4’s on them 😉 lights than the Uber turbines by far but handling is fantastic plus AS wear and comfort.

Those are without a doubt the best factory rims for the Model 3. It had sounded like the OP liked the 19s, that was the only reason I suggested them. I had those (in silver) on my 2018 P3D+ before some clown totaled it. I just personally think the Uberturbines are fugly.

I am running Tsportline TS5 20" with Falken Azenis on my 2020 P3D- and keep the stock 18" aeros around for winter driving and road trips. The car also has a 1.25" drop all around with MPP Comfort Coilovers and 15mm spacers front and back. There is nothing you can do to a bubble head Model Y to make it look or handle this good.

1354931d-cd7f-4f32-9e52-8ca5812ba13d-jpeg.867611

Last edited:
Reactions: Destiny1701
23 PM3 here. I don't see many "lightweight" rims being any better than the Uberturbines regarding reliability.

Turbines are not that ugly; besides, they are way more robust than people are led to believe. Yes, I hit a large rock going 50mph and a $570 tire replacement bill, but these rims are purpose-built to handle the vehicle's weight, can take impacts (some impacts,) and leads to better high-speed dynamics for cruising, in my opinion.

I was once a tire mechanic, and in an ideal world, I'd love to have meaty tires and keep the big breaks, but the performance is just insane with how they currently function. My main point is that these wheels and tires are not cheap but will be ideal to have mounted in a high-speed hazard scenario--speaking from experience.

I would like to have something like this some day.
Its subjective of course. I can't stand the Uberturbines but some people love them. The OP just sounded like they liked the 19s which was the only reason I suggested them. I actually run 20s in the warm season and the stock 18" aeros during the winter and for road trips. Just gotta figure out what works for your situation and preferences.

I debated between M3 vs MY. I knew MY would be roomier and more versatile, but I knew that if I got it I would miss the sporty feel and have regrets.
I ended up with a '21 M3LR+AB and never regretted my choice. Even though we own another efficient CUV, the M3 is the preferred family car and we use it for all family trips.

So we have both the M3LRboost and MYP. I will say while the M3 is hands down the better driver and sheer joy to zip around in, the MYP does have its virtues. Handling not being one of them lol.

It is slightly more refined as a drive given the extra weight and meaty tires. (I run 275/295 combo). Visibility is much better and the pano glass roof is nice. A bit quieter cabin noise as well. The interior space is also slight bit bigger given the 2” wider frame and body. The rear passenger leg space is also best for any Tesla model tbh. Reclining rear seats, hatchback, cargo…its def a diff class vehicle and better family vehicle for those soccer practices/weekend games and Costco runs. My kids are 5’10 (boy 14) and 5’8 (girl 16) and still to grow. They prefer the Y hands down for leg space, roof height, knees 2-3” away from the front seat , reclining seats…plus higher seat position allows legs to not crunch up like your doing a semi ab crunch lol. Basically like going economy seat to economy plus in leg room.

BUT…my M3 ‘feels’ faster and provides a better overall punch at any speed Vs the MYP. Better driver experience any day. Handles like a dream compared to the boatier Y. Oddly while the M3 feels faster, it seems like the MYP speedo reaches the 110-120kph a slight bit faster, even if it subjectively feels not as fast. Hard to explain.

All in all, I prefer the 3 drive but at times prefer the Y for evening dinners out with the wife or simply picking up anything plus kids longer out of town games.

And one final feature of the Y…camping mattress 😉
IMG_0522.jpeg

Last edited:
This is why I love my 2021 M3 SR+. 3616 lbs. RWD, 47/53 F/R weight distribution. Great suspension and steering. A performance sedan. And the range is plenty for my needs. For 90% of the people, range is overrated.

My son has a Model Y AWD long range. He says the driving experience is quite different. He does more traveling, camping etc. Even has a small camper that he tows. For him the range is a must. He's thinking of trading in the wife's car and getting an M3 RWD. Best of both worlds.

why is this so hard, we dont compare a BMW 3 to a X3, they are different driving experiences, space, and for different needs
M3 is fun, sporty, great commuter
MY is utility, big, spacious
Any boost, MYP in a MY is to add fun to a utility vehicle, I have a MYP and when I dont have access to the M3, thats my fun car
like eating a burger, loving it, without knowing how good a filet is
just saying

The comment about the 19 inch wheels was more shock of the efficiency that I saw even WITH the 19s.

The Y just really is brutal with efficiency and high speed driving. There's not a lot you can do other than slow down to see big improvements. The difference with the 3 was that it felt like you hit a limit where yes it took way more energy than going around town, but the "band" of speeds and conditions that used about the same extra amount of energy was much larger. Hence cruising at 65mph vs 85mph and feeling like I hardly saw a difference in my energy usage.

You can't do a lot with physics, but I think that's what kills me with the Y... even at 70mph I feel like I'm shooting myself in the foot range wise (I've literally thought about maybe doing 60 or 65mph if it would allow me to skip a charging stop, thinking about going slower when you own a Performance?!) let alone if I'm at 75 or 80mph. Every mph higher I go I cringe a bit.

Tesla charging is fantastic, and I never feel like I'm out of options. It's just that I tend to travel tight and often might plan something ON my arrival into town or something. If I'm catching a show or sports event and I know there are level 2 chargers that I can pretty much park the car immediately at for 3+ hours, it kills me having to stop and supercharge, even if it's only 15 minutes off and back on the highway. From where I live to Portland or Seattle is JUUUUUST out of range for my Performance, like I would be rolling in probably with 1 to 5% battery and that's just too low for my comfort.

So again, when the can absolutely blast around putting the pedal to the floor when I want to pass (or on a scenic bypass, which I did for 10 miles) and STILL get home with 10% battery, that's a dream.

I know Elon hates giving people more battery, but when that Y get's 100kWh I think that will be the sweet spot (outside of towing needs of course)

I totally understand where OP is coming from. I had a MY LR and added boost. Had to be one of the most boring cars I owned. I got sucked into the "you'll need more room than the 3" yada yada and you can't tow with the 3. Terrible mistake to buy that car. Honestly, I'd buy a Hyundai or Kia before I'd buy another Y.

@acarney As for hating the Y, I'll pretty much say it straight up, I think I hated my Y almost as much as I like my 3.

To clarify, I love the Y, but I think it's the less fun car and less "better" car. I *hate* that I feel that way :p

Mainly because I can only afford one currently. If I could have the Y (ideally a LR) as the winter car and grocery car and random large box from a retail store or if I have to move or when traveling for a week with friends or something AND the M3P for the weekend fun car and work and back rocket, then I would be perfect, lol

It's rare, but I couple times I've needed the room. I essentially had to move to Seattle for six months at the drop of the hat (literally were told the exact date about 6 days before we had to be there) for some serious medical treatment for a family member. Once we were there I was unable to leave, even for a day, until the treatment for the family member was complete (or if I could have found someone else to stay with them 24/7). So in that case, the room of the Y was great, basically became a moving van and could fit enough of our life for a six month stay. I don't foresee that need again, but it sure was nice to have it and was something I totally didn't have to worry about.

The couple times I've had to toss a set of tires mounted to wheels into the Y to get them changed or something else. I don't have to borrow a friends vehicle or have them follow me or make two trips or anything. They just fit. Stuff like that. It also made a recent move a lot easier after big heavy items was handled with a moving company.. it's amazing how many smaller boxes the Y can fit at once and that it does have room for something like a bedside table or something.

So for those reasons the Y makes "sense" and I feel like it's a great fit for me. I don't need a full on truck, but it's big enough.

But after being in a Model 3 again... well I forgot how much sporty drivers car I ended up trading to be in that Y. (And again, it's not like the Performance Y is slow or boring, it just doesn't feel low and sporty! Also... maybe they changed something, but the brakes on the long range model 3 felt like ON or OFF. They were really tight and had an aggressive bite immediately. I actually really liked them...)

What I did to satisfy the need to occasionally move bigger items is put a hitch on the back of my 3. I then got a rack mount carrier that I can put things like spare tires and other stuff on it for the rare times I do need it. The Y is just a bit taller in the trunk area but about the same length so long things (unless pretty tall) still fit in the 3 as well as they did my Y. What is interesting is the Tesla never directly compare the Y and 3 trunk room the same way. As usual they play tricks with it is so it isn't an apples to apples comparison.

The interior trunk dimensions for the width and depth are pretty much identical. Where you actually gain a bit in the Y is from the top of what would be the trunk on 3 (corresponding to the Y) up to the area where the Y's hatch attaches. Tesla never measures the volume the same. They quote the Y with the backseats down and the 3 with them up. So for the 3 they say 23 cubic feet (back seat up) and 76 for the Y (back seat down). That sure seems a lot bigger but when compared apples to apples with seats up, it is 23 for the 3 vs 34 for the Y. Maybe extrapolating because I don't have the exact numbers, but it might be closer to 58 cubic feet with the seats down for the 3 vs 76 for the Y (for both all the way to the back of the front seats). That doesn't look near as impressive. Not saying there isn't a difference, but it isn't 3X like you might be lead to believe when looking on the Tesla website for cargo volume. Sort of like how Tesla measures 0-60 times differently for the P models vs the other ones to make them appear even more impressive than their more plebeian counterparts.

If I needed the room every day, I'd buy a Y. Fortunately I don't and since I have an S, it can pretty much do most of what the Y could for me anyway since it has a hatch. If they made the 3 a hatchback, I think it would impact Y sales.

I used to get sucked into the "I need a pickup truck or SUV" thought process. Sure, I did, maybe 10 times a year. The rest of the year I suffered with a vehicle that wasn't better for every day use when I didn't need the room. Well heck, if I do need the room, why get an SUV when a minivan is an even better people hauler even if it doesn't look as "cool".

Anyway we all have choices. While the Y has been popular, I think Tesla missed a lot with it. Curious to see if they get it better with the refresh.

Reactions: alhounos
The comment about the 19 inch wheels was more shock of the efficiency that I saw even WITH the 19s.

The Y just really is brutal with efficiency and high speed driving. There's not a lot you can do other than slow down to see big improvements. The difference with the 3 was that it felt like you hit a limit where yes it took way more energy than going around town, but the "band" of speeds and conditions that used about the same extra amount of energy was much larger. Hence cruising at 65mph vs 85mph and feeling like I hardly saw a difference in my energy usage.

Physics:

consumption = Baseline_electrical_drain + V * rolling_resistance + V^2 * aerodynamic drag

Aerodynamic drag is significantly larger on Y because of larger frontal area. Battery is about the same.

I'm biased, and also haven't driven all of the models that Tesla makes... AND I'm sure to draw flames with this comment... BUT - the Model 3 is the best car Tesla makes.

I had a service tech take mine for a drive with me in the passenger seat, and those were his words... he literally said "this is the best car we make", and although I know he was speaking about "we" as in Tesla, my opinion is that it could very well have been "we" as in humanity.

Now I don't mean to say that the 3 is perfect, or that Tesla is perfect, or that I haven't had my gripes about some aspects of both, but overall the Model 3 is the world's best car.

Reactions: gt2690b