Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I thought I had a standard keyfob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I went to a Tesla social event today where we got to talking about keyfob sleeves. Some folks showed their red and blue sleeves, while others showed their fobs, when I realized mine didn't look anything like theirs, I pulled it out and everyone was surprised to not have seen that type before. I didn't know any other owners so I was shocked to see that I have a cover already on mine while never knowing it. Anyone with a ap2 car have something similar or even cooler? IMG_20170122_162608.jpg IMG_20170122_162608.jpg IMG_20170122_162547.jpg

fasreddie7,

Thanks for the pictures of the new Tesla fob holders. I had heard about them but had not seen one before.

I have the silicone fob pockets from abstract ocean. They are great, and look much more protective than the new factory fob holders in the pictures.

GSP

If you take the rubber off, it's the same keyfob as everyone else. My 2017 car came with those, but once the rubber cover is removed it looks identical to the 2015 or 2013 fobs. It is the best of the 3 Tesla covers I ever got (first was a stretchy polyester pouch, then leather holder) but we still removed it and just using a silicone holder that covers the entire remote - mostly because we already had one purchased before we got the car. I saved those though, maybe if the silicone ones need replacement, I can just use these.

• Helpful
Reactions: fasteddie7
My 2013 CPO which I picked up in December came with those key fob sleeves. I just figured Tesla put them on to hide the wear on the used fobs. A few days after pick up I took the sleeves off and noticed scuffs and wear, all of which were well obscured by the sleeves. So back on they went! I think they look pretty good and provide a nice tactile experience.

Well, my brand new Model S key does not appear as a Bluetooth device on any of my Bluetooth discovery devices. Based on the source of my information I stand by my belief that only the Model X key is currently utilizing Bluetooth LE technology.

Also, the Model X key is physically larger than the Model S key.

@FredLambert can you share any additional information on your source as to whether it is both Model S & X keys?

My 2013 CPO which I picked up in December came with those key fob sleeves. I just figured Tesla put them on to hide the wear on the used fobs. A few days after pick up I took the sleeves off and noticed scuffs and wear, all of which were well obscured by the sleeves. So back on they went! I think they look pretty good and provide a nice tactile experience.

If your CPO fob is scuffed you can probably have it "rebuilt" at no charge at your next annual service appointment, or possibly even by just stopping by a service center. (If you're going to just stop by, I'd call first to ask about it.)

• Informative
Reactions: outerlimits
If your CPO fob is scuffed you can probably have it "rebuilt" at no charge at your next annual service appointment, or possibly even by just stopping by a service center. (If you're going to just stop by, I'd call first to ask about it.)

There is a 'refurb' kit at Tesla with all of the outer shell cover components. Most useful if your small plastic loop breaks at the end of the fob, such that you cannot attach your 'naked' key to a keychain etc.I got my service manager to send me a kit a couple of years ago when I needed it--not too hard to install.

I am not too bothered by the wear. Although, one does have circles showing through on each press area (trunk, hood, roof). I'm surprised they gave it to me in that condition. But with the sleeve on, they look perfect. But these are good tips for when I go in for my annual service.

If you see wear circles around the buttons, the skin may eventually wear through and fall out completely (button will still work, but it will be uncovered). It happened to me once with the 2013 MS. 2015 fob has more wear on it now but it's held up great, so they may have improved the design. SC can replace the outer fob skin in minutes.

Be happy you got a key fob holder. I picked up CPO last week and they were out of them and had the keys tied to a plastic zip tie. Imagine spending 72k on a car and being handed keys on a zip tie?! They told me that they would fed ex me leather holders when they get more in stock. I definitely let Tesla know about this on the survey. In the meantime, I ordered these for my wife and I and we really like them:

Topfit Silicone Car Keychain for the Tesla Model S (Black Pink 2 of Set) Amazon.com: Topfit Silicone Car Keychain for the Tesla Model S (Black Pink 2 of Set): Automotive