Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I thought my P100D was limited t 275 miles of charge. I just charged to almost 300.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TOBASH

Supporting Member
Well, I thought the P100D with Ludicrous mode was less efficient and would only charge to 275 miles.

I just charged my P100D to 288 with 3% remaining at the local Supercharger.

What gives? Did I misunderstand the literature?

Not that I'm complaining, but I was surprised.

T

The official range for the X P100D is 289 miles, but individual cars will be a little different based on the roll of the dice and if you got a battery pack with top of the tolerance range cells. My S 90D is officially rated at 294 miles range, but it's always charged to 298 100%.

You may have lucked out and got a little better battery than average. 288 at 97% would be 297 at 100%.

The official range for the X P100D is 289 miles, but individual cars will be a little different based on the roll of the dice and if you got a battery pack with top of the tolerance range cells. My S 90D is officially rated at 294 miles range, but it's always charged to 298 100%.

You may have lucked out and got a little better battery than average. 288 at 97% would be 297 at 100%.

Thank you

My P90D that's an early VIN with 4100 miles is still good.

yesterday i decided to charge to 100% for the 3rd time in its life and it charged up to 251 miles!! (only supposed to be 250...)
P90D should be 268 rated miles at 100%. The P85D was around 250 at 100%, the P90D should be 6% more range than the P85D.

My 2015 P90D has the V3 battery and last time I charged to 100% it hit 273 rated miles.

Just another data point...

P100D S rated at 315mi. At under 200 miles on the odometer, 100% was 319mi. After 8500mi, I'm seeing a 100% of 316mi.

My P100D S was at 318 when I took delivery back in December. Since then I've seen 319 once as well. I'm at about 8,700 miles now but haven't seen any degradation on the battery so far.

Well, I thought the P100D with Ludicrous mode was less efficient and would only charge to 275 miles.

I just charged my P100D to 288 with 3% remaining at the local Supercharger.

What gives? Did I misunderstand the literature?

Not that I'm complaining, but I was surprised.

T

What firnware are you running? The latest version calculates miles more accurately, according to Tesla, based on how you drive. Most threads seem to indicate that reduces range because, well, we are evidently speed demons.

But it should work the other way too. If you drive easy, your range could be higher than expected.

I always use rated miles, which should closely match Tesla's spec, 295 miles for my non-P X 100D. I've seen 100% charges at 301 rated miles. The P100D should be close to 289 and hopefully a little above. 288 miles at 97% is within expectations I would think.

Rated miles are a constant Wh/mile, matching the official mileage number. A good measure of how much energy is in your battery, though still an estimate based on battery behavior. If rated miles at 90% or 100% charge drop significantly you may have a battery problem.

Ideal miles are based on how you drive and Tesla may very well have changed how ideal miles are calculated recently in order to better match what customers are experiencing. But they will vary by your battery's state of charge and how many Wh/mile Tesla's algorithm thinks your driving is going to burn. So kind of useful for estimating your driving range, but not useful for determining how much energy is in your battery. Or comparing with anyone online. If ideal miles at 90% or 100% charge drop significantly it may just mean you just got back from the drag strip.

Ideal miles are based on how you drive and Tesla may very well have changed how ideal miles are calculated recently in order to better match what customers are experiencing. But they will vary by your battery's state of charge and how many Wh/mile Tesla's algorithm thinks your driving is going to burn. So kind of useful for estimating your driving range, but not useful for determining how much energy is in your battery. Or comparing with anyone online. If ideal miles at 90% or 100% charge drop significantly it may just mean you just got back from the drag strip.
images.jpg

I'm pretty sure Ideal Miles is some useless metric that has no relevance in the real world.