Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I want my Mommy....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really wish all you guys complaining about counters and trying to blow everything out of proportion compared to the actual facts we have (virtually none) would stick to your designated 100+ page thread where you can complain and whine as much as you want. Leave the rest of us alone.

As i pointed out earlier, this thread is about ludicrous plus. It would be a shame if some people started using ludicrous plus without knowing the potential downside, and then wound up having their power limited.

I think including the actual thread and this one I may have posted in a total of three different threads about the issue. You can complain all you want, but it is absolutely relevant to this thread.

Also, I made one post, providing the link. My additional posts were made to defend my position. Keep attacking, and I'll keep defending. Your call.

He allegedly lost 100 amps, not 100 horsepower. Big difference. Also, P90DL's can't use the L+ easter egg, so completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Nope:

The conversion for KW to horsepower is 1.341, using this my car made 685HP at 511KW and now makes between 596-603HP at 445-450KW A loss of 82-89HP in 6 months since my purchase.

89 HP is pretty close to 100 HP. And this was just one post I found. I think elsewhere he posted that the loss was now greater.

Also if P100Ds are safe from any limiting, why do you think Tesla included ALL performance models in the disclaimer they added to their website?

Again, this is not the thread to discuss the issue in, but you keep raising points that I won't allow to go uncontested.

I like how ... pre P100D performance owner feels the need to ...post in every thread discussing anything performance related
Your post is counterproductive and depressing.

As a serial performance owner (P85, P85D, P85D, and now P100D), I understand and appreciate the desire of performance owners of all varieties (including wk's modified cars!) in educating each other and helping owners obtain (and retain) the best experience with their vehicles.

Tesla has already admitted they did this to @Tech_Guy's car, assumig his reports are accurate.

His P90DL has lost 100 horse power. It is only a few months old.

The counters are also quite well documented by now - a lot of activities seem to increment them, not just launch mode:

Understood. But do we have more than a single data point?

Everyone has these incrementing counters, but can anyone else confirm a 90 to 100HP loss tied to particular counter values?

I'm not denying that his car has lost 90 to 100 HP early, but we don't know if this value is due to some sort of counter-controlled downgrade or if an additional and unrelated battery pack fault is also present.

Are other owners at similar mileage / vehicle age / counter values seeing similar power loss? Greater? Less?

More data points would really help to clarify this.

Reactions: sdorn and bhzmark
To all the people who wet their pants over the launch counters, "I want my Mommy" is Elon giving you the finger...

This sh*t made me lol

Indeed, it seems Tesla may be giving the finger a bit there.

I wonder how wise that is, but I agree it at least looks that way.

p.s. The counters have since been revealed to count rolling mashes in addition to many kinds of full throttle events, not just launches.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
Understood. But do we have more than a single data point?

Everyone has these incrementing counters, but can anyone else confirm a 90 to 100HP loss tied to particular counter values?

I'm not denying that his car has lost 90 to 100 HP early, but we don't know if this value is due to some sort of counter-controlled downgrade or if an additional and unrelated battery pack fault is also present.

Are other owners at similar mileage / vehicle age / counter values seeing similar power loss? Greater? Less?

More data points would really help to clarify this.

So far Tesla has only given @Tech_Guy explanation that counters are to explain for his around 100 HP loss (and yes, @Tech_Guy definitely said his car has lost around 100 HP after the limiters kicked in, not just 100 A). That is Tesla's answer at this time and they have not changed that answer after multiple contacts. We can discuss that more here: Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

Finally, here is the P100D disclaimer Tesla added to Tesla.com after the fact, once the counters became public. It certainly is relevant to Ludicrous+. People of course make up their own minds if they care about the counters or not, and how to weigh the risks, that is certainly personal choice. I would be the first to agree more data is very welcome and needed to analyze this.

Tesla.com said:
Performance versions of the Model S and Model X are high-performance vehicles. As with other vehicles, continuous high-performance driving will stress the vehicle's components and may result in premature wear or failure. To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience.

Tesla has said publicly that the P100DL cars will not have the limits like the P90DL cars do. Do we have in writing the same for P100DL+?

That was the initial word to @Tech_Guy (suggesting he upgrade), but there have been Tesla tech reports contradicting that since. The word then was P90DL can damage both battery and drivetrain, with the P100DL the issues would be with the drivetrain only. Other reports speak of protecting wire bonds in general on different models. Later other reports have said all models have the counters and Tesla has added the disclaimer above, which says limiting controls may be employed to optimize ownership experience - which certainly does sound like at least the potential of the limiters we are talking of.

So far the one very public known case is P90DL of course. For him it took some months to develop this issue and then a few more to confirm and go public, so even if P100D's were affected, we simply might not know yet. But I agree, that currently we do not know of a P100D that has been limited.

Tesla has said publicly that the P100DL cars will not have the limits like the P90DL cars do. Do we have in writing the same for P100DL+?
Then why is this in the design studio when the only performance car they currently sell and sold when they put it there is the P100DL?

Performance versions of the Model S and Model X are high-performance vehicles. As with other vehicles, continuous high-performance driving will stress the vehicle's components and may result in premature wear or failure. To help protect the performance and longevity of the powertrain, Performance versions of the Model S and Model X continually monitor the condition of various components and may employ limiting controls to optimize the overall driving and ownership experience.

Last edited: