Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I WANT MY MTV - or at least my premium connectivity package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok ok - Let me start off by saying this is the most amazing car I've ever purchased and my biggest disappointment is in the lack of info provided at pick up.

I'm a tech guy and I can only imagine the frustration some must feel going home and trying to figure out what the car is capable of.

Specifically I'm bedeviled by the "premium connectivity package" required to do many of the cooler things you have to hunt a bit for on-line (don't even get me started on the $300 garage door I just ordered.

That said - I can only assume my car did not come with the pcp - nor do I see anywhere to attempt to upgrade to purchase this nor was it explained at my time of purchase or pick-up....

HELP????!!!

I’m assuming your purchased either an SR or SR+, neither of which include the premium connectivity package. So no Slacker, no red and yellow traffic lines on google maps, no web browser.

For cars that include the full Premium Interior (LR RWD and above) these features are included free for the first year. After that Elon has said the annual fee would be “about $100”.

For SR/SR+ cars that never included it at all, there is no definitive path to pay for these features. Tesla has said they would announce their intentions later this year, but nothing definitive.

AHHH well I guess that answers that....odd though isnt it? I'd gladly pay $100 extra a month if they had just explained that at time of purchase/pick up?

Honestly they are leaving a lot of money on the table by not having actual sales people help upsell you options you may not entirely know arent included in the first place.

STILL AN AMAZING CAR..... AMAZING

Reactions: David29
As part of the Partial Premium interior, we (as SR+ owners) miss out on a good bit of software disabled goodies. I hoping the staff at Tesla get the Premium Connectivity into the pipeline for SR+ owners, as a differentiator from the better equipped (than anticipated) SR. And if that doesn't occur, I'd welcome the opportunity to purchase an upgrade, consisting of some Premium accoutrements.

AHHH well I guess that answers that....odd though isnt it? I'd gladly pay $100 extra a month if they had just explained that at time of purchase/pick up?

Honestly they are leaving a lot of money on the table by not having actual sales people help upsell you options you may not entirely know arent included in the first place.

STILL AN AMAZING CAR..... AMAZING
Most people consider the lack of the upsell one of the better things about purchasing a Tesla. They do the majority of their sales online and the difference between partial premium and premium is explained fully there. I wouldn't have expected the the delivery person to volunteer that info since they would have assumed you already knew what it was that you were purchasing.

In fairness though, if you made the actual purchase at the showroom they should have gone over the differences with you, many times though the in store employees seem to have a distinct lack of knowledge.

....I'm a tech guy
....odd though isnt it? I'd gladly pay $100 extra a month if they had just explained that at time of purchase/pick up?....
You say you are a "Tech Guy" but clearly missed it on the order guide. Also it's not about just paying $100 a month. It is $100 a YEAR and that is for the LTE service fee that includes the Internet browser, Slacker music and traffic/satellite maps BUT is NOT for the Premium package. It is all about getting the Premium package when you buy the car just like any other car. If you don't buy the package then you don't get the package features.

Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 9.56.42 AM.png

Last edited:
Most people consider the lack of the upsell one of the better things about purchasing a Tesla. They do the majority of their sales online and the difference between partial premium and premium is explained fully there. I wouldn't have expected the the delivery person to volunteer that info since they would have assumed you already knew what it was that you were purchasing.

In fairness though, if you made the actual purchase at the showroom they should have gone over the differences with you, many times though the in store employees seem to have a distinct lack of knowledge.

I think they should name it differently, instead of "Partial Premium" it should be "Standard" calling it partial premium is rather disingenuous and confusing, because it's not premium. Ever other car out there that anyone new to Tesla is going to go on is something more like Standard, Premium, Super Special Extra Trim. I feel like this is the same as Tesla's "Price after savings" nonsense that includes estimated gas savings.

I imagine the "sales" folks vary by location. My guy was pretty good, but I really didn't learn anything new from him beyond the research of a few days I did online.

I can see how somebody would miss this. Features like Car Play and the ability to see traffic on your display should 100% be standard on any car in 2019 built by a "tech company." It blows me away that my $22,500 (after tax credit) premium package with real leather seats new Volt has this but a $40,000 Tesla doesn't.

I think they should name it differently, instead of "Partial Premium" it should be "Standard" calling it partial premium is rather disingenuous and confusing.

It's called that because the higher trim cars come with the full premium, and the SR (non plus) was supposed to come with the standard.

Then, after naming everything, they decided the standard interior wasn't worth actually building, so even the SR just gets the trimmed-down version of the premium.

• Informative
Reactions: bshap73
I think they should name it differently, instead of "Partial Premium" it should be "Standard" calling it partial premium is rather disingenuous and confusing, because it's not premium. Ever other car out there that anyone new to Tesla is going to go on is something more like Standard, Premium, Super Special Extra Trim. I feel like this is the same as Tesla's "Price after savings" nonsense that includes estimated gas savings.
They can't call it "standard", there is already a level with that name. "Partial premium" is exactly what it is, why not call it that? It's a better choice than any other arbitrarily applied descriptive word.

Features like Car Play and the ability to see traffic on your display should 100% be standard on any car in 2019 built by a "tech company."
People really need to stop saying what a car should come with for whatever price they're paying. Every brand has its pluses and minuses, singling out Tesla is disingenuous at best, all Tesla trim levels have navigation standard while it's an upgrade on many competitors, a comparable Jaguar XE comes with a spare but none of the other premium brands do, Tesla's have auto on/off brights, not all the other do without an upgrade, an Audi comes standard with a sunroof, none of the others do....

Reactions: Bill Foster
I see the complaint about CarPlay not being available from time to time and I can’t figure out why anybody would want it in a Tesla. CarPlay is a nice feature for cars that have a basic screen but no navigation and not much other functionality.

You don’t want to use Apple Maps in your Tesla because it won’t have the Supercharger information or the routing logic to tell you where you need to stop to charge on your trip. And you don’t want to lose the car visualization to see what traffic is around you. So what exactly would CarPlay do for you?

I use Apple Music and find the integration over Bluetooth to be just fine. I get album art and basic play/pause functionality. Phone calls work seamlessly. I don’t need to be texting from my car’s screen. What else would it do for me?

Reactions: escpethewrmhle
I see the complaint about CarPlay not being available from time to time and I can’t figure out why anybody would want it in a Tesla. CarPlay is a nice feature for cars that have a basic screen but no navigation and not much other functionality.

A tesla is a car with a basic screen and (besides nav) not much other functionality.

I can think of LOTS of apps my phone has that I wish my car did.... waze and spotify (or other music app of choice allowing real on-screen navigation rather than just play/pause) are probably #s 1 and 2 for most folks but there's tons of others.

You don’t want to use Apple Maps in your Tesla because it won’t have the Supercharger information or the routing logic to tell you where you need to stop to charge on your trip.

I don't wanna use Tesla maps for their either since the route choices for this usually suck compared to A Better Route Planner, and unlike, say, a Garmin from 2004, the TeslaNav doesn't understand incredibly basic ideas like waypoints.

And you don’t want to lose the car visualization to see what traffic is around you.

Nor would you need to. Carplay doesn't have to eat the entire screen. Even taking up the spot the map otherwise does would be more screen size than most other cars give it.

Reactions: bshap73

The interface for 3rd party audio streaming apps - ala SiriusXM - is far, far superior to what we get on the Tesla media player. Stuff like MLB At Bat and a couple others as well. That's the only reason for me.

Heck, if I could just have a Sirius app (don't even need the satellite coverage - just the streaming app) on the Tesla, I'd be 99% of the way there...

.. geez, or even Siri Shortcuts on the phone "hey Siri, tune to XM 25 on SiriusXM" -- which is EXACTLY what I do with Alexa & Sonos at home -- would get me there.

Use the Sirusxm app on your phone and bluetooth it over until you get what you want.

I do, but changing channels is a PITA. I want my phone on the Nomad wireless charging plate, without touching it. Frankly, I want the door closed while it’s charging. Don’t want to see texts or pop ups or any of those distractions. Either voice controls or Tesla onscreen functions. Reaching down to unlock and futz with the phone every time I change a station is stupid and dangerous.

And, yeah, I’m an audio channel surfer.