Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I WANT MY MTV - or at least my premium connectivity package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waze shows me where all the police are hiding. On the drive I make almost every week from Milwaukee to Chicago I've become spoiled by that feature.

Car's no longer need their own NAV, simply the ability to project one's phone onto the screen.

I have come up with my own solution which is not ideal but it works. I navigate on my Tesla screen but also have my phone plugged into the port immediately below and navigate to the same destination using Waze. This way I can easily peek down for visible cops and also can see if there is a different route being recommended for any recent traffic delays.

My SR+ got premium connectivity with the 12.1.2 update, which I installed over a week ago. I thought it would disappear but my TuneIn radio starts up every time.

Wait... What? So you have displayed navigation and streaming audio?

A lot of people with standard or premium plus interiors report that this happens, but then it goes away after the next update.

A lot of people with standard or premium plus interiors report that this happens, but then it goes away after the next update.

Yeah. I did some poking around. I've seen a number of reports of this appearing and disappearing.

Knowing I can update or subscribe to this on an SR+ would be a great decision maker. I was in a dealership yesterday to poke around the car again, and when I mentioned the LR RWD price he said look for Autopilot and a price adjustment imminently. And here it was this morning.

He also said that being able to software upgrade to premium nav and streaming would be coming soon as well- they just hadn't figured out pricing an infrastructure.

I tried a basic function that I have had for the past year in my bolt using carplay. I could easily ask Siri to change directions using voice commands on the fly. Sometimes on my commute I want to check the time for stopping at Starbucks or the bagel shop. So I can verbally ask for directions and get the ETA and then calculate the difference.

I tried all manner of asking Tesla to get directions and every time it failed. I'm not impressed so far. I've paid for all the advanced electronics. I'd think that $8k could get me decent voice control. Or if not, just let me use more of my phone.

I tried a basic function that I have had for the past year in my bolt using carplay. I could easily ask Siri to change directions using voice commands on the fly. Sometimes on my commute I want to check the time for stopping at Starbucks or the bagel shop. So I can verbally ask for directions and get the ETA and then calculate the difference.

I tried all manner of asking Tesla to get directions and every time it failed. I'm not impressed so far. I've paid for all the advanced electronics. I'd think that $8k could get me decent voice control. Or if not, just let me use more of my phone.

I've yet to have voice commands for things like "navigate to X" not work just fine.

That said- the fact it's unable to handle ANYTHING else for nav, like, say, waypoints as my 2004-era Garmin could, or offering more than 1 route as google maps does, is flat out embarrassing.

Reactions: Carl_P
So just to confirm, the premium connectivity is $100 per year after the first year? I put down a deposit last weekend and am picking up Saturday and was told by the sales associate that the maps, Slacker, LTE, etc. was all included at no charge. We had a relatively in depth discussion about it because I don't have LTE coverage for my whole commute. It's not a big deal money wise, but it's a bit disappointing.

So just to confirm, the premium connectivity is $100 per year after the first year?

It's speculated to be.

Nobody knows for sure, since it's currently an imaginary offering not actually for sale.

S
I put down a deposit last weekend and am picking up Saturday and was told by the sales associate that the maps, Slacker, LTE, etc. was all included at no charge. We had a relatively in depth discussion about it because I don't have LTE coverage for my whole commute. It's not a big deal money wise, but it's a bit disappointing.

The sum total of official info is here:
Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

It mentions they "expect" to charge "approximately" $100 a year.

Then again it also mentions they plan to roll the ability to order it out later this year- and that page was posted last year.

As I mentioned earlier, some S owners are already beyond the "free" premium connectivity period, well over a year past it, and they still have free premium connectivity because Tesla continues to have no idea how to actually charge people for things.

So just to confirm, the premium connectivity is $100 per year after the first year? I put down a deposit last weekend and am picking up Saturday and was told by the sales associate that the maps, Slacker, LTE, etc. was all included at no charge. We had a relatively in depth discussion about it because I don't have LTE coverage for my whole commute. It's not a big deal money wise, but it's a bit disappointing.

So sayeth a few webpages. Nobody’s ever been charged yet, for any Tesla Model.

The original Model S came with “4 years” of connectivity. That would’ve ended 3 years ago ...

So is it possible we start seeing yearly fees? Absolutely. Hasn’t happened yet, so we don’t have anything else to base it on.

So sayeth a few webpages. Nobody’s ever been charged yet, for any Tesla Model.

The original Model S came with “4 years” of connectivity. That would’ve ended 3 years ago ...

That's not quite correct.

January 2014 everyone got 4 years starting from then.

So January 2018 was the first time S owners should have been charged. (they haven't been of course)

So just to confirm, the premium connectivity is $100 per year after the first year?.....
It is actually the LTE data that is going/expected to be $100 a year. You just need this data IF you have the premium package to stream Slacker, Traffic/satellite and internet browser. So if you don;'t pay then you will have Standard Connectivity. As long as you have Premium Connectivity you could just start paying the $100 and have the data cut back on.

However you can't have only the Standard Connectivity (like the OP and all SR/SR+ [you must NOT be getting a SR/SR+]) and pay for data and be upgraded to Premium Connectivity. I think Tesla has said there MAY be an option to offer an upgrade but it will probably be something like upgrading to AP or FSD and if so would likely cost well north of $1000 and probably at least $2K.

EDIT: Tesla " Connectivity plans for Model 3 without Premium Interior will be announced later this year."

Last edited:
I'm guessing we will see something announced around July... Any car ordered before July 1, 2018 has premium connectivity for life of the car, if you ordered after that, you theoretically only get the first year free. So starting in July 2019, there will start being a lot of cars coming up on the end of the free first year.

However, it would not surprise me if they wait until they do a major revision of the infotainment... IMO, what they have is NOT worth $100/yr. Especially since you will still get maps and traffic-based routing (just no traffic display). And Slacker is a distant 4th (or worse?) behind what 90% of the music streaming community uses.

I would hope to see for $100/yr the ability to enter my own Spotify/AppleMusic/GoogleMusic/SiriusXM accounts..

Use the Sirusxm app on your phone and bluetooth it over until you get what you want.

do, but changing channels is a PITA.

Yeah. I use the SiriusXM app daily. It's a little like saying you want a garage door opener and someone telling you "You can just get out of your car and open it"

Even if Sirius would allow Siri control of the app, that would help some (assuming your phone isn't in your pocket - which keeps "hey, siri" from working).

I'd gladly pay $100 extra a month if they had just explained that at time of purchase/pick up?

Yes, unfortunately, they don't explain a whole lot. They kind of strive to be the worst "Salespeople" in the industry and with "not trying to sell you" unfortunately, comes not explaining some of the more important things.

That being said, it's $100/year, not $100/month. Assuming you financed for 72 months, if you were comfortable with $100/month, you could've just opted for a $7,200 more expensive car, a la LR RWD.

I do, however, strongly believe Tesla will offer it as a monthly service. Free cash flow and allow you to enable for 30 days and it will become disabled if you don't pay the month after? Sounds like a no-brainer to me.