Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Want To Hire Someone to De-Noise my Model S Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I love 99% of everything about my new 2019 Model S Raven, the ever-increasing buzzes, rattles and creaks within the interior of the car are crazy-making -- especially for a car of this price. And since Tesla has somehow deemed that it's not their responsibility to fix these issues (even though the issues are purely a result of their poor build standards), I would like know if there is a Tesla expert around the San Francisco Bay Area who I could hire to go through my car and use foam (or whatever is necessary) to get rid of the noises.

When I had similar issues with my previous Model S, Tesla was happy to go through that car and get rid of all the interior noises, which worked wonderfully. But now, because SO many of their cars suffer from interior noise issues, Tesla is no longer willing to do the work to rid their cars of rattles, buzzes and creaks. So, if there's anyone out there who is a highly-skilled Tesla noise detective and fixer, I'm all ears. It's time for my new Model S to stop sounding like an old Model T!!

I'd be interested in the same thing. Rattles/Squeeks/Vibrations are only covered for the first 10000 or 12000 miles of the warranty period from what I've seen on TMC.

I had some rattles fixed at 30K miles at no charge. They fixed some but not all. I gave up.

At 40K the rattles have intensified, and I don't even know if it's worth my time bothering to take it back to Tesla.

I had some rattles fixed at 30K miles at no charge. They fixed some but not all. I gave up.

At 40K the rattles have intensified, and I don't even know if it's worth my time bothering to take it back to Tesla.
I'm very curious - where are these rattles/squeaks coming from specifically?

I have a 2016 S with 25K miles on it and it doesn't have a single rattle or squeak coming from anywhere. I had my car at the SC a month ago to fix some rattles (heard when driving slow on a mildly rough road) and they replaced the front suspension. They gave me a 2015 P85D and I couldn't believe how quiet that car was - absolutely zero squeaks or rattles. It felt as if it was built like a tank!

I'd be interested in the same thing. Rattles/Squeeks/Vibrations are only covered for the first 10000 or 12000 miles of the warranty period from what I've seen on TMC.

Unfortunately, within the past year, Tesla changed their warranty wording to specifically take them off the hook from having to deal with noises, vibrations, creaks, rattles, etc. Instead of building their cars with more care, they basically told the customers they don't care. I even offered to privately hire the Tesla mechanic who removed all the noises from my previous Model S, but was told that Tesla forbids their mechanics from working on the outside. Anyway, here is the wording from the Feb 2019 Tesla Model S Warranty...
Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 9.32.03 AM.png

Elon, don't take this personally, but I would think that after a full seven years of Model S production your team would have the ability to prevent creaks, rattles, and other unwanted noises, no?

It's not that hard: things that aren't supposed to touch, are touching, and things that are supposed to be in contact, aren't securely fastened.

Please, get on it as the SC's are sometimes ill-equipped to correct problems which are sourced from poor construction practices. BTW, you need to be tracking these issues to specific day, time, and shifts on the assembly line. I would not put it past the fossil fuel industry to try to plant evil-doers inside your ranks to try to sabotage your efforts . . . .

Thank you.

Unfortunately, within the past year, Tesla changed their warranty wording to specifically take them off the hook from having to deal with noises, vibrations, creaks, rattles, etc. Instead of building their cars with more care, they basically told the customers they don't care. I even offered to privately hire the Tesla mechanic who removed all the noises from my previous Model S, but was told that Tesla forbids their mechanics from working on the outside. Anyway, here is the wording from the Feb 2019 Tesla Model S Warranty...
View attachment 476122

Simply shameful.

You're comments are spot-on: rather than build a better product of the quality expected at this price point, now Tesla just says, "pound sand." Profoundly disappointing.

I wonder how this absurd language compares to other premium brands' warranties?

I have a 2016 S with 25K miles on it and it doesn't have a single rattle or squeak coming from anywhere. I had my car at the SC a month ago to fix some rattles (heard when driving slow on a mildly rough road) and they replaced the front suspension. They gave me a 2015 P85D and I couldn't believe how quiet that car was - absolutely zero squeaks or rattles. It felt as if it was built like a tank!

The rattles for me started at 30K miles and intensified at 40K. Dec 2016 car.

1) Buffeting noise coming from passenger window at high speeds. Tesla tried to fix, replaced the seals and realigned the window. Still present.
2) Squeak in rear right when going over bumps. Unclear what the source is.
3) Rattle in dash under windshield. Audible when going over bumps. Seemed to intensify after airbag replacement.
4) Rattle in pano roof, but mostly when it's vented, so not a huge deal.

All I can say is that you have been EXTREMELY lucky. During the year that I had so many problems with my old 2018 Model S, I drove 19 different loaner cars, of all different years and builds, and every single one of them had rattles and squeaks. And during this current year with my new, rattle-infested Raven 2019 Model S, I’ve driven three loaner cars, and they all have their own sets of noises.

My car is in for several warranty items right now, including fixing the yellow border on my MCU. They are also addressing the squeaks and rattles in my car. I bought it used from Tesla with 45k miles on it back in August. They are taking care of the squeaks and rattles for me. I took a ride with a service tech after I had located most of them and the tech was able to isolate some more that I hadn't noticed.

I'll know more when I pick up the car tonight if they were able to get them all.

One thing I have to keep in mind is that these cars are so extremely quiet due to there being a lack of almost all ambient noises that I'm accustomed to in a traditional ICE vehicle, that any little noise because much more apparent. I was impressed with the vehicle when I took delivery, especially for how quiet it was after 45k miles of someone else's use and abuse... but after driving it for a couple of months, my ears have tuned in to every tiny noise in the vehicle... some of which can only be heard from the drivers seat. I'm just happy Tesla is correcting them to the best of their ability.

The blame for all this falls squarely on the early/mid adopters and fanbois, who conceived of every excuse not to hold Musk accountable by taking their money elsewhere after their *second* purchase, and by spreading the Good Word about Tesla and their cars to naive buyers wishing to be part of The Club in 2017 onward. Now that Musk actually made a profit, there is little reason to reflect upon poor assemblage and the infrastructure for support.

(flame suit on)

One thing I have to keep in mind is that these cars are so extremely quiet due to there being a lack of almost all ambient noises that I'm accustomed to in a traditional ICE vehicle, that any little noise because much more apparent.

When the dash 18 inches in front of you squeaks and rattles despite the not exactly silent road and wind noise of an S, it's likely not drowned out by anything. I have 3 day old new tires on my S, and my wife's MB is still noticeably quieter on the same roads.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Seemed to intensify after airbag replacement.
Oh great, I was going to get that done next week.

My car sounds pretty solid. I had them fix some rattles at the one year mark and two years later it is still adequately quiet. Rode in a four year old BMW 3 series yesterday with less miles than my car. It was very rattly and unsmooth. What a piece of crap compared to my S.

Oh great, I was going to get that done next week.

My car sounds pretty solid. I had them fix some rattles at the one year mark and two years later it is still adequately quiet. Rode in a four year old BMW 3 series yesterday with less miles than my car. It was very rattly and unsmooth. What a piece of crap compared to my S.

The model s is not a quiet car. Even if you "bring it in" to the service center it's a crapshoot, they just shove foam strip and VHB everywhere. I picked up a used 2015 s550 to have the ultimate ride quality, I like both cars equally but they have their pros and cons.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
One thing I have to keep in mind is that these cars are so extremely quiet due to there being a lack of almost all ambient noises that I'm accustomed to in a traditional ICE vehicle, that any little noise because much more apparent.

I'm not sure this is true. From my experience, pretty much every luxury ICE seems quieter than a Model S.

I'm not sure this is true. From my experience, pretty much every luxury ICE seems quieter than a Model S.

Agreed. Tesla's excuse about rattles and creaks being more apparent in a Tesla due to the lack of an ICE just don't play out in reality. The good news is that it actually IS possible for a Tesla to be de-noised (I had it successfully done in my last Model S by a Tesla Service Center), so if the service centers aren't willing to do it anymore due to the new wording in the warranty, then I am hoping there is an expert out there who understands how to do it and who I could hire privately.

All I can say is that you have been EXTREMELY lucky. During the year that I had so many problems with my old 2018 Model S, I drove 19 different loaner cars, of all different years and builds, and every single one of them had rattles and squeaks. And during this current year with my new, rattle-infested Raven 2019 Model S, I’ve driven three loaner cars, and they all have their own sets of noises.
Or you're even more extremely unlucky. I think I got one of the good ones. One of the few reasons I hesitate to sell it and buy a new Model 3.
The model s is not a quiet car.
It's significantly quieter than a Model 3 and my brand new eGolf. It could definitely be quieter, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.