Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Want To Hire Someone to De-Noise my Model S Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The model s is not a quiet car. Even if you "bring it in" to the service center it's a crapshoot, they just shove foam strip and VHB everywhere. I picked up a used 2015 s550 to have the ultimate ride quality, I like both cars equally but they have their pros and cons.

I see. Yes, "pros and cons."

Too bad the MBZ places the future of life on our only planet at risk, or did you not know this? Or do you wish to live in a state of willful ignorance and just pretend to not know this? (Tip: Either answer is shameful.)

Climate of Doubt

CO2 level highest in human history - USA TODAY, 5/14/2019

Key quotes, truncated, as some have made up their minds and prefer to not be bothered with any facts:

“We don’t know a planet like this,” Eric Holthaus, a meteorologist and writer at Grist, an online environmental magazine, posted on Twitter.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) concentrations have skyrocketed far higher than any levels in more than 800,000 years, according to data from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California-San Diego.

“This is the first time in human history our planet’s atmosphere has had more than 415 ppm CO2,” Holthaus tweeted. “Not just in recorded history, not just since the invention of agriculture 10,000 years ago. Since before modern humans existed millions of years ago.”

Carbon dioxide levels millions of years ago were higher than 2019 levels, but Earth’s temperatures also were far higher. In the 800,000 years before the Industrial Revolution, CO2 levels didn’t surpass 300 parts per million.

I see. Yes, "pros and cons."

Too bad the MBZ places the future of life on our only planet at risk, or did you not know this? Or do you wish to live in a state of willful ignorance and just pretend to not know this? (Tip: Either answer is shameful.)

Climate of Doubt

CO2 level highest in human history - USA TODAY, 5/14/2019

Key quotes, truncated, as some have made up their minds and prefer to not be bothered with any facts:

“We don’t know a planet like this,” Eric Holthaus, a meteorologist and writer at Grist, an online environmental magazine, posted on Twitter.

Carbon dioxide (CO2) concentrations have skyrocketed far higher than any levels in more than 800,000 years, according to data from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California-San Diego.

“This is the first time in human history our planet’s atmosphere has had more than 415 ppm CO2,” Holthaus tweeted. “Not just in recorded history, not just since the invention of agriculture 10,000 years ago. Since before modern humans existed millions of years ago.”

Carbon dioxide levels millions of years ago were higher than 2019 levels, but Earth’s temperatures also were far higher. In the 800,000 years before the Industrial Revolution, CO2 levels didn’t surpass 300 parts per million.
I know it seems absurd, but most people don't really care.

My 15 P85D is really quiet. The factor that I haven't seen discussed in this thread is how the car has been taken care of. If a car (really any car) is constantly doing rough roads at speeds such that the car is getting jarred, it'll end up being a rattle trap, no matter the brand / build quality. I also think the fact that there is no engine / exhaust noise in our S's make what rattles there are much more apparent.

Chiming in to say I’d love to know if someone does this. My first S was a nightmare made worse by service, and I’ve avoided taking my second one in like the plague. It rattles a lot, but I know once panels start popping off for discovery, I’ll get it back with a whole host of new issues. I’d rather have someone do a thorough, full-car, de-noising.

And when I travel, I have no choice but an ICE rental. They are very quiet cars these days. So much so that BMW pipes fake engine noise into the cabin on M models. My wife has a BMW that is silent. And when she has a rattle, BMW service takes care of it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going back to ICE cars, having owned two Model S, and an BMW i3, I am eagerly awaiting BMW to make a normal electric car.

My 15 P85D is really quiet. The factor that I haven't seen discussed in this thread is how the car has been taken care of. If a car (really any car) is constantly doing rough roads at speeds such that the car is getting jarred, it'll end up being a rattle trap, no matter the brand / build quality. I also think the fact that there is no engine / exhaust noise in our S's make what rattles there are much more apparent.

Both of my Tesla vehicles have been totally babied. They have never been driven on rough roads, or in any manner that would cause rattles to develop in any other sort of car. Teslas are simply not made very well anymore. The rattles often begin within a few days of delivery. And the rattles are definitely not rattles that an ICE car’s engine would cover up.

Chiming in to say I’d love to know if someone does this. My first S was a nightmare made worse by service, and I’ve avoided taking my second one in like the plague. It rattles a lot, but I know once panels start popping off for discovery, I’ll get it back with a whole host of new issues. I’d rather have someone do a thorough, full-car, de-noising.

And when I travel, I have no choice but an ICE rental. They are very quiet cars these days. So much so that BMW pipes fake engine noise into the cabin on M models. My wife has a BMW that is silent. And when she has a rattle, BMW service takes care of it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going back to ICE cars, having owned two Model S, and an BMW i3, I am eagerly awaiting BMW to make a normal electric car.

it certainly speaks highly of Tesla‘s technology that we keep buying their cars, all the while knowing that the poor build brings about rattles, squeaks and vibrations. I, too, can’t wait till other car manufacturers (who actually care about build quality and their customers) start making aesthetically-pleasing electric cars.

In the meantime, someone could have quite a nice little career going by going into business de-noising Tesla cars. The sad thing is that the technicians know how to do it, but they are just not allowed. Pretty crazy if you ask me!

The rattles for me started at 30K miles and intensified at 40K. Dec 2016 car.

1) Buffeting noise coming from passenger window at high speeds. Tesla tried to fix, replaced the seals and realigned the window. Still present.
2) Squeak in rear right when going over bumps. Unclear what the source is.
3) Rattle in dash under windshield. Audible when going over bumps. Seemed to intensify after airbag replacement.
4) Rattle in pano roof, but mostly when it's vented, so not a huge deal.
I have the windshield rattle in the center of the dash towards the mesh. They’ve removed my dash twice in pursuit of it per complimentary attempts. No luck. Just wanna ram it into a wall at this point

I have the windshield rattle in the center of the dash towards the mesh. They’ve removed my dash twice in pursuit of it per complimentary attempts. No luck. Just wanna ram it into a wall at this point

I had a rattle in the center of the dash towards the mesh, the technician that test drove with me recognized the rattle and said not in dash, it was the one of the strut brace creating it. SC added insulated the mount point and the rattle went away.

A couple of things.
Check out the published sound meter results. The S is a quiet car.
I personally don't see a trend in a bad way. A friends 2014 (in 2015) had more rattles than my 2015 ever did. I had a loaner 100D once - so it must have been 2018 at least and it was perfectly quiet/rattle free. Other loaners have been older than my car and weren't bad but had more rattles.
So at least in my experience, the trend has been towards less rattles.
My car had 79k on it. It has a few but I haven't chased them down. They seem really easy to fix - but minor enough that I haven't bothered.
Everyone's tolerance for these things is different. I am more particular than my friends.
Someone who reports having 19 loaners in a year and then buys another car from that manufacturer maybe really unlucky and/or outside of normal tolerances for things. 19? - I have had 3 or 4 in 4.5 years and 79k miles.

If I can figure out how to remove it I’ll give this a try! Thank you!

Just to clarify, no need to remove dash for this. SC based there fix on TSB SB-17-31-002 but added insulation in addition to proper torque if I understand correctly the description given to me by the technician. I didn't look yet if I can see what was added. Also the test procedure for this is partially in TSB SB-18-31-009 step 3 ("e. Lift the shock tower braces away from the shock towers, and then insert a double-folded shop towel between the braces and towers so that they do not make contact or transfer vibration to each other (Figure 2).")

I looked into doing this myself but can is under warranty and already had an appointment for another thing. If the noise is in the middle where the two tower brace meet then is more work to access and require tools like wiper arm puller (in my case the issue was only on the right brace tower so they didn't have to keep my car for long).

Btw, this was the last rattle I had left, and the car is now very quiet. All rattle that I had in the car where there from the beginning, panoroof (I added some felt along the front edge), passenger door (SC fix that one because the trim popped out a little, just replaced the clip while I waited), the back hatch that had many rattle, I removed and applied felt everywhere when installing a back dashcam before sentry even existed and two or three other areas in the trunk (one was a missing screw holding the trim for the trunk cover).

I also had a loaner that was a signature edition that had no rattle at all when SC was fixing my brace rattle.

Reactions: firstsnow and jdw
Simply shameful.

You're comments are spot-on: rather than build a better product of the quality expected at this price point, now Tesla just says, "pound sand." Profoundly disappointing.

I wonder how this absurd language compares to other premium brands' warranties?
I can't speak to the warranty language, but only to sound/noise levels.

I have a July 2015 build P85D, and my wife has a June 2014 build 2015 Chevy Impala (under 1/3 the price of the Tesla when new), and the Impala is consistently quieter inside than my Tesla. Except for 3.6 liters worth of V6 ICE noise, though the Impala's ICE is mostly quiet at cruise.
Both cars have dual-panel sunroofs. The Tesla is about 700 pounds heavier.
Nothing on the Tesla is "structural" noise - only things like seat/console rattles, wind noise and such.

One thing I noticed that at first seemed like a "Typical GM Cheap Move" is the innermost sides of the seat bottoms are fabric rather than leather - possibly to avoid squeaky rubs against the center console, possibly because "no one seems that side of the seat". The Tesla seats are all leather material (or Vegan leather on the newer ones).

Frameless windows (something I really like about the Tesla's design) could also be a contributor to noise levels.

All I can say is that you have been EXTREMELY lucky. During the year that I had so many problems with my old 2018 Model S, I drove 19 different loaner cars, of all different years and builds, and every single one of them had rattles and squeaks. And during this current year with my new, rattle-infested Raven 2019 Model S, I’ve driven three loaner cars, and they all have their own sets of noises.
I call this the "Lexus Effect", when I owned one the Lexus forum board was littered with posts just like this simply because Lexus builds such quiet and well-built cars, so obviously everyone expected nothing less than sheer silence which makes sense. people would literally bring their cars in for things that would require absolute silence to detect! What's alarming about your post is that it almost seems like Tesla has gone backwards somewhat in build quality, probably because most of their time and resources has been focused on the Model 3 deliveries, which must be very frustrating as an S owner!

Oh great, I was going to get that done next week.

My car sounds pretty solid. I had them fix some rattles at the one year mark and two years later it is still adequately quiet. Rode in a four year old BMW 3 series yesterday with less miles than my car. It was very rattly and unsmooth. What a piece of crap compared to my S.
The 3er on average has a sportier suspension, and the runflats are loud and unforgiving IMO.

Agreed. Tesla's excuse about rattles and creaks being more apparent in a Tesla due to the lack of an ICE just don't play out in reality. The good news is that it actually IS possible for a Tesla to be de-noised (I had it successfully done in my last Model S by a Tesla Service Center), so if the service centers aren't willing to do it anymore due to the new wording in the warranty, then I am hoping there is an expert out there who understands how to do it and who I could hire privately.
It's funny, I've been holding out on buying a Tesla until they get a hold of the obvious issues currently plaguing them (customer service and build quality), and now that I've waited it would appear that at least with the S and X (their two "lux" offerings and first two models) they've basically treated them as afterthoughts or necessary evils to deal with as they grow.