Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish the Model 3 had the new Model S steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always thought that if they are going to install the yoke - why not put one on both sides (left and right)?
I mean, the advantages - no stopping to switch drivers, passing a large slow truck that's in the left lane, authorities not knowing which to give a ticket to, freaking out passers when the left side driver is sleeping....

because it's literally a chopped up steering wheel to look "cool" and not steer-by-wire....

Reactions: ry-ballz
I think if you want to adopt mainstream moving from a traditional ICE vehicle with all the creature comforts, the Y and 3 have to have a roundish steering wheel with stalks. To say you would get used to it, is great, but I believe it would be a major turn off to those first timers intimidated by just a screen as the first shock, and then half a steering wheel, and then no stalks. I think it would be a major turn off.

If I had the financial means to purchase a new Model S, I would prefer a traditional steering wheel, as I know my wife would never drive it with a yoke...

I think if you want to adopt mainstream moving from a traditional ICE vehicle with all the creature comforts, the Y and 3 have to have a roundish steering wheel with stalks. To say you would get used to it, is great, but I believe it would be a major turn off to those first timers intimidated by just a screen as the first shock, and then half a steering wheel, and then no stalks. I think it would be a major turn off.

If I had the financial means to purchase a new Model S, I would prefer a traditional steering wheel, as I know my wife would never drive it with a yoke...

no stalks and touch fields on the steering wheel without physical buttons/ feedback also screams "cost cutting".
there's a reason VW uses touch fields on steering wheels and for controls excessively.

not sure forcing people to use a yoke and no stalks and touch fields on the yoke which are easy to accidentally activate is acceptable in a $100k+ vehicle.
sure - the brand loyalists won't mind... but getting someone from a Porsche etc to switch over. good luck

I always thought that if they are going to install the yoke - why not put one on both sides (left and right)?
I mean, the advantages - no stopping to switch drivers, passing a large slow truck that's in the left lane, authorities not knowing which to give a ticket to, freaking out passers when the left side driver is sleeping....
so pedals on both sides too? Hmm, perhaps not!

How long do you think it will be before they come out with some piece of plastic that 'rounds out' the yoke to make it look like a traditional steering wheel?

Reactions: msm859
no stalks and touch fields on the steering wheel without physical buttons/ feedback also screams "cost cutting".
there's a reason VW uses touch fields on steering wheels and for controls excessively.

not sure forcing people to use a yoke and no stalks and touch fields on the yoke which are easy to accidentally activate is acceptable in a $100k+ vehicle.
sure - the brand loyalists won't mind... but getting someone from a Porsche etc to switch over. good luck
I was quite brand loyal, until it became clear they were actually gonna ship this control scheme for the S/X. I was not even in the market for an S/X, but if this is the direction they are going to take, it will not be with me again. The 'holiday update' did not help either. We were also considering a CT, but no way now unfortunately, and it is 100% because of the yoke, no-stalks, and no door handles. Way to go Elon. Quit making your cars sucks in dumb ways and get back to making them awesome.

The yoke looks great, oozes futurism. But that's it.

There is no functional advantage to driving and turning, it's all aesthetics. The marginal gain of making it easier to see instrument information isn't needed.

Function divorced from form, 1 step forward 2 steps backward. Maybe Tesla should have waited for steer by wire, but that's a lot of 2 weeks to wait for.

Don't get me started on capacitive 'buttons' .....

i drive long distances and the yoke does add a little bit too that. The top of the steering wheel isnt really used but the verticle "sticks" are great to grab for long journies and more comfortable than a round steering wheel.

I might add her that AP in itself makes this largely irrelevant on single lane roads and i can relax my hands a bit more - however on motorway driving with frequent lane changes for overtaking it becomes more relevant again.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
If the yoke just had a proper horn in the center, I wouldn't be so bent out of shape about it. But good luck trying to find that tiny little capacitive horn icon in the middle of a turn when you have less than a second to honk the horn to prevent an accident. I really wanted the next generation Model X, but I'm going to wait until a proper after-market steering wheel is available.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a horn prevent an accident…

Oh I’ve prevented quite a few parking lot fender benders with a fast horn press-and thankfully the horn was loud too. It’s always the person backing up and not looking like they’re supposed to.

I think a lot of people have been in that situation too-and if the horn wasn’t in the middle of the steering wheel (like in just about ever other car)…well you know the rest.

If the yoke just had a proper horn in the center, I wouldn't be so bent out of shape about it. But good luck trying to find that tiny little capacitive horn icon in the middle of a turn when you have less than a second to honk the horn to prevent an accident. I really wanted the next generation Model X, but I'm going to wait until a proper after-market steering wheel is available.
You can also honk the horn by covering all buttons on the right of the yoke with your hand.