Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wonder how many of the people unhappy about V11 are really trolls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW: The totally cumbersome UI should have been expected, given the yoke - another form over function decision.

There are some third party steering wheels now. The ones I’ve seen don’t add stalks and still have touch controls on the steering. One person has managed to install a M3 stalk into his plaid and get it to work. Apparently the problem was the CAN bus. Ie sounds the stalk fit onto the steering column without any hardware/mount shenanigans.

Hopefully someone builds one with tactile buttons.

How do you get to 3?

It's either:
1) Tap the AC setting value (e.g. HI, LO, or whatever temp value is the target)
2) Tap the defroster button

Or, keeping eyes on the road 100%, it's:
1) Tap the mic button on your wheel/yoke
2) Say "Turn on/off front/rear defroster"
Don't let us start trolling on the voice command. Even if there is cell signal, you will be mad at it in a short interaction.

Me: set wiper to 1
Tesla: set wiper 21. (Wow, 21 is such a large number, let me set it to max)

Me: set wiper 1
Tesla: set wiper 1. (Weird grammar but I get what you want)

Me: set wiper 2
Tesla: set wiper to. (Could you finish your sentence?) Don't understand what to do.

Set wiper 1: Sets the driver wiper
Set wiper 2: Sets the passenger wiper
Set wiper 21: Sets both wipers

(This could be a whole new series of jokes of “A guy walks into a bar…” but “A driver tells Tesla…”)

• Funny
Reactions: Sporty
I really don't understand this feedback. What controls do you need to interact with (while going downhill), and how are they worse under v11? AC slide bars? In my old M3, I used to catch the bottom lip of the screen with one finger, to stabilize my hand, so I could touch the screen with my thumb, and move it solidly right/left -- if that makes sense?

I sometimes also used voice commands to alter the temperature. Easy. If I'm going downhill or in some kind of white knuckle situation, I'd absolutely just use voice commands -- or put adjusting AC on hold until after the situation passes. That applies to *any* car. And most other cars have pretty crappy voice control, so any Tesla has an advantage there, either v10 or v11.

Any car? I'm sorry but in what car have you ever had to press a button to pull up a separate AC screen to have to then look at a left/right slider to adjust fan speed??????? It's absolutely dumb. I've owned Teslas since 2015, not a troll here. I'm actually a superfan, so it pains me to even have to critique.

Intetestingly, in my first car - 1990’s VW Golf GTI - I could adjust AC, defogger, defroster without even looking at them. No matter uphill, downhill, twisty road, no road, snow, rain, ice, hail, cats, dogs, meatballs…
Such a backward UI! I did not spend even a seconds with it! It is way better to have Sonic The Hedgehog now!

Any car? I'm sorry but in what car have you ever had to press a button to pull up a separate AC screen to have to then look at a left/right slider to adjust fan speed??????? It's absolutely dumb. I've owned Teslas since 2015, not a troll here. I'm actually a superfan, so it pains me to even have to critique.
Sorry, what I meant was: if you're in a white knuckle situation, you generally don't want any distractions at all away from the road. So having access to voice commands to do things is better than not. This access applies to any car, not just Tesla, not just v11.

Starting with fogged windshield and HVAC off:
- One tap to turn on the HVAC
- Second tap to bring up the HVAC menu
- Taking eyes off the road, looking for the defogger button
- Third tap to activate the defogger.

Who ever starts with HVAC off? Just leave it on Auto (or whatever manual setting makes sense) all the time. It's 2 clicks for >90% of people >90% of the time.

Is 2 > 1? Yes, of course. Should those buttons have not been removed? I would agree they should not have. (Or at least let each customer decide.) But this is not an example of a global UX catastrophe. It's just annoying. Let's give the feedback, but maintain some perspective here.

Reactions: PACEMD
Who ever starts with HVAC off? Just leave it on Auto (or whatever manual setting makes sense) all the time. It's 2 clicks for >90% of people >90% of the time.

Is 2 > 1? Yes, of course. Should those buttons have not been removed? I would agree they should not have. (Or at least let each customer decide.) But this is not an example of a global UX catastrophe. It's just annoying. Let's give the feedback, but maintain some perspective here.
You agree it's annoying and could be better. My perspective is Tesla is (was, a lot of the time) the gold standard for a seamless it just always works right experience. The release of something "annoying that could be better" feels like a bigger failure, creating a large delta from a) works (mostly) beautifully, creates moments of joy for the owner to b)what the f____ just happened, am I still in a Tesla??? Fumble fumble, OK, I can get by, but I'm still super frustrated and have zero confidence in all future updates (including any fix for this that comes down the line).

That change is just more pronounced than going from some other mostly frustrating UI (Volvo, VW, whatever) to v11, which might feel like a big improvement.

I think we just had extremely high expectations, so a blunder like this lands with a jarring clang.

Set wiper 1: Sets the driver wiper
Set wiper 2: Sets the passenger wiper
Set wiper 21: Sets both wipers

(This could be a whole new series of jokes of “A guy walks into a bar…” but “A driver tells Tesla…”)
The driver and passenger wipers are independent of each other? This I didn’t know...Tesla never ceases to amaze and amuse me

Well, there is one thing, fortunately, that we can all agree on. And that is the fact that everyone here except me is either a troll or just straight-up wrong. Sadly I'm the only one honest enough to admit this, even though we all agree. A high percentage of the replies here on TMC are from robots, not even humans. Many others are just in it for the money, on the payrolls of George Soros, the dead Sheldon Adelson, the Koch brothers, Bezos, Gates, Jobs, and of course Musk. The remainder are either cognitively impaired, just not able to assimilate and process information in any known reliable manner, or human versions of Marvin the robot, depressed, unhappy, angry, and paranoid. Sad really........
Oh yeah, and I forgot the calboy drama queens. You know, those who equate a few seconds in an overheated seat to being sentenced to death in the electric chair. Aye yai yai mamita!

Calboys - class-action lawsuit boys

I could justifiably flip the argument - who runs the HVAC all the time? It is wasteful for a person who prefers the EV for environmental reasons. But let’s put it in the “personal preference” category. So, why don’t we just remove the entire HVAC and let it run all the time? Then, it would at least be obvious that I wasn’t the target customer for the vehicle.
@OxBrew summarized it very well - V11 is a symptom, not exactly the core of the problem. The core is that Tesla is moving away from being an enthusiast driver car, mass-appealing EV into something that we did not expect when we bought them - a flashy startup.

Reactions: DeepFrz and Sporty
I view this a little bit like what's happening (purportedly) with FSD: you move from a "local maximum" (i.e. a highly optimized v10, without much more room to grow and improve) to a new platform (v11) which will necessarily be less optimized at first, and present some perceived regressions -- but has greater opportunities for improvement and more UX capabilities to build on for the next 1-2 years.

There's no need to create drama here. It's not some seismic shift within the company. This has all happened before, and it will all happen again.

Posting a thread implying people are trolls.. feels a little bit like trolling.
I view this a little bit like what's happening (purportedly) with FSD: you move from a "local maximum" (i.e. a highly optimized v10, without much more room to grow and improve) to a new platform (v11) which will necessarily be less optimized at first, and present some perceived regressions -- but has greater opportunities for improvement and more UX capabilities to build on for the next 1-2 years.

There's no need to create drama here. It's not some seismic shift within the company. This has all happened before, and it will all happen again.

Very possible. But don’t release until the critical features are complete. I can easily imagine the storyboard for v11 had things like defrost & wiper controls ‘apps’ that could be docked and they just didnt get them done in time (arguably by prioritizing wrong). But instead of doing the right thing, they dropped release anyway because there was pressure.

It’s a failure in the leadership team. The leadership also needs to not let ever resource move to shiny projects. Everyone wants to deliver the new features and no one wants to fix up some old thing (or someone else’s mess).

I would also put qa in the sw as something the leaders are not taking serious.

They have a problem. I hope they see it and fix it.

Translation (or another way to phrase what you just said): v10 was very good, v11 is a chaotic mess and needs tons of fixes. So there's room for SO MuCH improvement to get it back to very good! Yay?

v10 was no where near a local maximum. Every single update in v11could have been implemented in v10, without any change to the skin, and leaving font size, contrast and various regressions alone. Basically, re-organize closer to v11 logic (lots of v10 organization makes little sense), but don't break what works for no reason.

IDK what Elon's upper of choice might be (mine's just lots of coffee) but I think he's over doing it, whatever it is.

Reactions: Boza