Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wouldnt buy a Model 3 again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2. HVAC issues: Ever try to configure your climate control system for the following? (a) Defogging windshield (b) Recirculate. Nope, it won't let you. So if it's smoky outside and you want to defrost the windshield by running the AC (cabin evaporator coil) and heater (cabin condenser coil) simultaneously, without clogging up your cabin filter with smoke particulates, well, it just won't let you do it. The moment you switch to windshield defogging mode, it switches off the recirculation mode. Genius! Oh wait, I think you can do this. The long way. Go into HVAC menu (press #1). Switch airflow to windshield (press #2). Force system to recirculate (press #3). Force A/C to be always ON (although that's already selected). Which is a royal pain on a touchscreen that has no tactile feedback.
This one I can see doing a special driver profile for. Just call it Smoky-Defrost day. Then, just switch profiles when you want it.

This isn't meant to be rude....my reaction to this is you should consider seeing an eye doctor. I think all the text and symbols are sized very appropriately. They are very easy to read. If they were much bigger they would be obnoxiously so.
To be fair, they are a bit on the small side, and the use of "dark gray on light gray" doesnt help either. I do have glasses, with medium correction, and CAN read the text, but it could certainly be clearer without making it "obnoxious".

There are some very nice features about this car but there is a lot wrong. To paraphrase Elizabeth Barret Browning let me count the ways. The letters, symbols and numbers on the home screen are too small particularly on the map; there is no parking assist (in contrast to every high quality car available in the 21st century); the latest software update disabled my garage door opener; and I could go on but I will dump this as soon as a good electric sedan is available that doesn't cost the moon. Does any one believe the Tesla engineers read the many gripes on this forum and ever think of responding in a positive way to correct the many issues?
The grass is always greener ....

And sure it has a parking assist, which works well except for being rather finicky about finding a space it thinks it can handle.

There are some very nice features about this car but there is a lot wrong. To paraphrase Elizabeth Barret Browning let me count the ways. The letters, symbols and numbers on the home screen are too small particularly on the map; there is no parking assist (in contrast to every high quality car available in the 21st century); the latest software update disabled my garage door opener; and I could go on but I will dump this as soon as a good electric sedan is available that doesn't cost the moon. Does any one believe the Tesla engineers read the many gripes on this forum and ever think of responding in a positive way to correct the many issues?
Switch to the S, it’s 50x better than the 3.

In the end though, it really shouldn't matter why I want to do something. How about the engineers just stop assuming they know better than the person driving the car?

Here's another one: try rolling the vehicle out of your garage and down the driveway (roll mode selected, feet off both pedals). Oh wait, the computer jams on the brakes because it says it has to "prevent rollaway", despite knowing full well that you are in the driver seat (there's a weight sensor in there which is how it knows to keep the display on when you close the doors).
It won't let me edit the post. But for context, the scenario is doing this with the seatbelt unbuckled (forgot to mention this originally). Unless you buckle up, it will constantly jam on the brakes. So if you are rolling the vehicle back out of the garage and into the driveway to wash it, at less than 2 mph, it doesn't care. It keeps jamming on the brakes.

Reactions: tesluv108
It won't let me edit the post. But for context, the scenario is doing this with the seatbelt unbuckled (forgot to mention this originally). Unless you buckle up, it will constantly jam on the brakes. So if you are rolling the vehicle back out of the garage and into the driveway to wash it, at less than 2 mph, it doesn't care. It keeps jamming on the brakes.
Like it is supposed to. Why not push up the stalk to back up which will give you back up camera feed. Same for the moving forward. I still don’t understand why you would just want to roll your car which will give you absolutely zero benefit.

Reactions: AdamVIP
Like it is supposed to. Why not push up the stalk to back up which will give you back up camera feed.
Have you tried it? I did push the stalk and put it in reverse. Just make sure you park on an incline so that the car can roll backwards (like a typical driveway), select roll mode, and unbuckle your seat belt. Imagine you are rolling the vehicle backwards out of the garage to wash it. Just an absolutely stupid design decision because the computer knows I'm in the vehicle since I am pressing on the weight sensor under the seat.

Have you tried it? I did push the stalk and put it in reverse. Just make sure you park on an incline so that the car can roll backwards (like a typical driveway), select roll mode, and unbuckle your seat belt. Imagine you are rolling the vehicle backwards out of the garage to wash it. Just an absolutely stupid design decision because the computer knows I'm in the vehicle since I am pressing on the weight sensor under the seat.
I'm guessing it assumes you are reaching out of the vehicle if your belt was off, so safer to keep it in hold to prevent rollaway. But in this situation, I think his point is if you have it thrown in reverse already, why not just press the accelerator pedal?

Because I want to back up slowly and make sure I don't hit anything or run into the landscaping?
Just use the minimal amount of accelerator or if even that is not slow enough, you can press and release the brake pedal to release the hold (then you can apply the brakes again and do the progressive brake release to control how slow it goes down hill). That is how I back into tight 90 degree spots on a hill. Admittedly I have not tried it unbuckled, but I don't find it a big deal to put on my seatbelt (even when getting in and out of car to check alignment).

Just use the minimal amount of accelerator or if even that is not slow enough, you can press and release the brake pedal to release the hold (then you can apply the brakes again and do the progressive brake release to control how slow it goes down hill). That is how I back into tight 90 degree spots on a hill. Admittedly I have not tried it unbuckled, but I don't find it a big deal to put on my seatbelt (even when getting in and out of car to check alignment).
I'll have to try it again, but I think I remember being jolted to a stop even with light pressure on the accelerator. Either that or I got jolted as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator, which is not how roll mode is supposed to work.

Reactions: tesluv108
I'll have to try it again, but I think I remember being jolted to a stop even with light pressure on the accelerator. Either that or I got jolted as soon as I took my foot off the accelerator, which is not how roll mode is supposed to work.
You can also do the press and release on the brake pedal if lightly applying accelerator is too much (either way releases the hold). I figured it out on my own because I regularly park on steep hills, but I just checked the manual and it does mention both methods.

"To disengage Vehicle Hold, press the accelerator pedal or press and release the brake pedal."
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

I'm not sure if it still works however with seat belt off.

Last edited:
I was pulling up next to a curb today and I came within 4" of curbing the wheels. I'm telling you, if I ever do curb the wheels I'm going to be cussing at the Tesla engineers who didn't put "all around view" or "bird's eye view" or whatever you want to call it on this car.
I agree, though you can press the camera button and get a decent look with the side cameras.