Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wouldnt buy a Model 3 again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was pulling up next to a curb today and I came within 4" of curbing the wheels. I'm telling you, if I ever do curb the wheels I'm going to be cussing at the Tesla engineers who didn't put "all around view" or "bird's eye view" or whatever you want to call it on this car.
Birds eye/all around view won't fix this. The problem is how the wheels protrude past the tire wheel protection lip. It's simply not well though through. I'm not sure this configuration aerodynamically efficient either.

Reactions: danarcha
This one I can see doing a special driver profile for. Just call it Smoky-Defrost day. Then, just switch profiles when you want it.
I have a 2022 M3 and all I need to do is activate Climate Control on my phone to have the entire car defrost. I don't see the defrost thing as an issue. Also, not sure people know this, but when you activate the climate control, the car displays "air" motion on the screen. You can move the air direction by sliding your fingers on the diagram on the screen. You can redirect the air to pretty much wherever you want - I haven't tried the "pretty much wherever you want" thing yet, but I have fingered the airflow to every direction I wish..

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Tesla has the best usability still out of everyone. I'm not sure anyone does infotainment as good as them. The voice commands are second to none. Sending a text or setting navigation is leagues above even the newest google offerings. Even the phone key is better with Tesla than the competitors. Many of them still require fobs and a start button push with long animations. Tesla is the most get in, drive, and get out car I have ever been in. Between all that and longer ranges I'm stuck in a Tesla for the foreseeable future. I would like to step up to the S at some point for the better ride and the big sedan form factor but as of now I have no desire to leave the Teslasphere.
Well, I don't completely agree and that maybe because I'm still figuring out my 2022 M3. The voice system is very good but not that good. The NAV system is set and go but doesn't give options to modify without restarting the route. I still can't text - says function is disabled - though I have premium subscription. The phone key is very good until you have low power on your phone. Happened to me with iPhone power on red, and I couldn't unlock the car. Luckily I had my wallet with keycard in it. I also can't use phone to unlock the trunk without first unlocking driver's door - I have mine set to unlock driver's door, but that shouldn't stop me from unlocking trunk (or any other door) with phone close to the door. My M3 is decent, but I have found that entry is more cumbersome than any of my ICE vehicles. I hope that as I use the vehicle I will find easier ways to open the doors.

Well, I don't completely agree and that maybe because I'm still figuring out my 2022 M3. The voice system is very good but not that good. The NAV system is set and go but doesn't give options to modify without restarting the route. I still can't text - says function is disabled - though I have premium subscription. The phone key is very good until you have low power on your phone. Happened to me with iPhone power on red, and I couldn't unlock the car. Luckily I had my wallet with keycard in it. I also can't use phone to unlock the trunk without first unlocking driver's door - I have mine set to unlock driver's door, but that shouldn't stop me from unlocking trunk (or any other door) with phone close to the door. My M3 is decent, but I have found that entry is more cumbersome than any of my ICE vehicles. I hope that as I use the vehicle I will find easier ways to open the doors.
What you want is this: https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3_y-key-fob

I don't even use my phone. In fact, I revoked Bluetooth permission from my phone's Tesla app so the car will alert me if I try to leave the garage without my key fob. Phone app is used to adjust settings remotely, view Sentry Mode cameras, etc., but never to lock/unlock the doors, open/close the trunk, or drive the car.

There are some very nice features about this car but there is a lot wrong. To paraphrase Elizabeth Barret Browning let me count the ways. The letters, symbols and numbers on the home screen are too small particularly on the map; there is no parking assist (in contrast to every high quality car available in the 21st century); the latest software update disabled my garage door opener; and I could go on but I will dump this as soon as a good electric sedan is available that doesn't cost the moon. Does any one believe the Tesla engineers read the many gripes on this forum and ever think of responding in a positive way to correct the many issues?
I agree on not going Tesla for repurchasing. I have a 2022 M3, purchased July 2022. For me it's mostly the quality issues for a $60K vehicle, and Musk getting involved in political matters.

Birds eye/all around view won't fix this. The problem is how the wheels protrude past the tire wheel protection lip. It's simply not well though through. I'm not sure this configuration aerodynamically efficient either.
Yes, the tire size isn't what I would choose, but I don't get how that's the reason why people would curb the wheels (not saying this just to you, to people in general). I drove three Model 3's with the 18" aero's for over 4 years and never scratched a rim (or on my Model S before it - and previous cars as well).

Relying on the tires to hit the curb to get close to it isn't a good practice either way. Regardless of my tire setup, I always use the side mirror to get close to the curb, but not so close to where the tires (or rim) will hit the curb.

Reactions: DocHolliday
The bird's eye/all around view would let the driver more easily see when the wheels are about to hit the curb so he/she can avoid it.
Yes, the tire size isn't what I would choose, but I don't get how that's the reason why people would curb the wheels (not saying this just to you, to people in general). I drove three Model 3's with the 18" aero's for over 4 years and never scratched a rim (or on my Model S before it - and previous cars as well).

Relying on the tires to hit the curb to get close to it isn't a good practice either way. Regardless of my tire setup, I always use the side mirror to get close to the curb, but not so close to where the tires (or rim) will hit the curb.
Side mirrors/side and rear cameras only really work when the curb is straight (and not as well as bird's eye/all around view). And then there's the scenario of parking along the curb at the end of a cul-de-sac with a rounded/irregularly shaped curb; you'll quickly see the issue with not having bird's eye/all around view nor tires that allow you to hit the curb gently without causing damage. Only thing that's really going to show what's happening near your wheels is a camera on the bottom of the rear view mirror pointed down. Or just repeatedly getting out of the car to check, which is what I am forced to do (because the penalty for not doing it is likely $160 worth of wheel damage that I have to repair).

Last edited:
The bird's eye/all around view would let the driver more easily see when the wheels are about to hit the curb so he/she can avoid it.

Side mirrors/side and rear cameras only really work when the curb is straight (and not as well as bird's eye/all around view). And then there's the scenario of parking along the curb at the end of a cul-de-sac with a rounded/irregularly shaped curb; you'll quickly see the issue with not having bird's eye/all around view nor tires that allow you to hit the curb gently without causing damage. Only thing that's really going to show what's happening near your wheels is a camera on the bottom of the rear view mirror pointed down. Or just repeatedly getting out of the car to check, which is what I am forced to do (because the penalty for not doing it is likely $160 worth of wheel damage that I have to repair).
Yeah, I wasn't saying that solves all problems. I was just saying, you just make do with what you have and shouldn't be scraping wheels. I know it's a bit more challenging to park in those situations but I've still done it many times and never scraped a wheel. But don't get me wrong, my Rivian ha the top view camera and I absolutely love it. Not just for parking against curbs but to park in the lines...in a taller truck it's so hard to tell where you are situated between the lines and the top view makes it so easy to park now.

To the OP or Admins who might have edited the thread topic... I think an equal and potentially more interesting statement to make is 'I wouldn't buy another Tesla again and since I'm never going back to ICE, what's next and what could it all mean for Tesla?'

As the X/S age into irrelevance, the mainstream 3/Y get long in the tooth and face the consequence of cost-cutting, and with the 2nd gen roadster still MIA (and likely to be priced at 2-3x the upcoming competition)... I'm not surprised anyone wouldn't buy a Model 3 again.

Part of the irony is, with all the recent competitor offerings (especially outside the US), replacing a 3/Y often leads to another 3/Y, which is not all that exciting. More of the same, which just highlights the shortcomings or leads to before/after comparisons.

Without worthy successors on the horizon, the S3XY fleet and its 2010s success are quickly becoming their own worst enemy... can Tesla turn things around?

Reactions: derekmw
To the OP or Admins who might have edited the thread topic... I think an equal and potentially more interesting statement to make is 'I wouldn't buy another Tesla again and since I'm never going back to ICE, what's next and what could it all mean for Tesla?'

As the X/S age into irrelevance, the mainstream 3/Y get long in the tooth and face the consequence of cost-cutting, and with the 2nd gen roadster still MIA (and likely to be priced at 2-3x the upcoming competition)... I'm not surprised anyone wouldn't buy a Model 3 again.

Part of the irony is, with all the recent competitor offerings (especially outside the US), replacing a 3/Y often leads to another 3/Y, which is not all that exciting. More of the same, which just highlights the shortcomings or leads to before/after comparisons.

Without worthy successors on the horizon, the S3XY fleet and its 2010s success are quickly becoming their own worst enemy... can Tesla turn things around?
Great points there. Which is probably why I'm not currently in a Model 3. The only reason I have the model 3 order still is because if we end up not keeping the Rivian, it's what we'll have until something more exciting and better comes along. I'm not loyal to Tesla - it just happened to be the best car suited for our needs/wants until now.

Reactions: Perscitus

Tesla in the meantime has pretty good room in the margins to do price drops, which would grab a lot of people back. Seems to work in other countries, every time it seems like sales would tail off and go to others, Tesla just does a price drop and then people mass cancel the other cars and come back to Tesla.

There is a refresh of Model 3 coming (and I guess Model Y shortly after). It is true Tesla haven't had a true second gen yet for any of their cars.

As it relates to original topic, my next car would also not be a Model 3 again, it'll likely be a Model Y (or whatever equivalent they might have then).

The latest round of price drops across Asia hasnt worked, and so banksters and other speculatora tooj TSLA for a ride these past few days (following its YTD spiral trend).

Yes, we have been talking about the refresh for about a year now, long before the latest round of details and spy shots dropped in the past month or two. It might all amount to nothing, just like the 2021 refresh.

The latest round of price drops across Asia hasnt worked, and so banksters and other speculatora tooj TSLA for a ride these past few days (following its YTD spiral trend).

Yes, we have been talking about the refresh for about a year now, long before the latest round of details and spy shots dropped in the past month or two. It might all amount to nothing, just like the 2021 refresh.

any news of price drops here? Used prices have started to come down but curious how tax credits will impact new US prices

I suspect that the UI changes to customize buttons was tied to the discovery that voice commands can be unreliable without a good network connection (and some luck).

I keep the rear defrost, front defrost, and steering wheel heater buttons front and center during the winter. I’d put the heated wiper blades there too, if I could. My climate control stays at 68 in winter and 72 in summer and I never touch it otherwise. Seat warmers seem to do a good job on Auto.

I had a 2019 M3SR+. Sold it (for an $8K profit due to insane used car market) and bought a 2022 M3LR. I would do it again in a heartbeat. We sold our other car even though my wife is the opposite of an early adopter. She loves the little Easter eggs like the Christmas light show. I don’t know why. But we find the car meets our needs.

Reactions: SalisburySam