Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wouldnt buy a Model 3 again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m loving the one tap Homelink icon at the top now. Never made any sense to me how anyone thought the multiple menus to to open or close the garage was a good idea.
I'm not liking it. I liked the way it was where the controls would just pop up in the bottom left corner automatically when you were near your house. Never had to press any buttons to access the door controls.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I'll go in a completely different direction and say that I absolutely love my Model 3 and enjoy driving it every time I'm in it. But I'm really starting to sour on Tesla the company... specifically their customer service and vehicle service.

My vehicle got rear-ended quite some time ago and has now been sitting in a Tesla collision Centre lot for 6 weeks and they still haven't even started looking at the vehicle. Trying to get updates from them is like pulling teeth and at this rate, I suspect I won't get my car back until sometime in February or March of next year if I'm "lucky".

It has certainly cooled my enthusiasm for ever buying another vehicle from Tesla.

I’m loving the one tap Homelink icon at the top now. Never made any sense to me how anyone thought the multiple menus to to open or close the garage was a good idea.
I'm not following. Prior to Holiday update, a large Homelink "activate" button would appear at the bottom left of the screen. IMO, this positioning was much better than the tiny button which is now top of screen.

Reactions: heavyD
Everytime i'm in the market for another vehicle. All previous information goes out the window. I have no loyalty whatsoever. If Tesla still has the most compelling product and infrastructure at that time, I'll get another, if not, then I'll happily move on to another brand. It's all about what vehicle has the most compelling offering for my specific use case and budget.

I'm not following. Prior to Holiday update, a large Homelink "activate" button would appear at the bottom left of the screen. IMO, this positioning was much better than the tiny button which is now top of screen.
The problem, for me, is that that pop up only came up sporadically when exiting. I had to hunt through menus to get to the garage icon to close the door as I drove off, almost every time when the door doesn’t close automatically (which is most of the time). Coming home, it’s not a problem. It does its thing, dings, and the door opens so I can back in. Tiny as the new icon may be, at least it’s on the screen, and I can just click it.

Last edited:
I'll go in a completely different direction and say that I absolutely love my Model 3 and enjoy driving it every time I'm in it. But I'm really starting to sour on Tesla the company... specifically their customer service and vehicle service.

My vehicle got rear-ended quite some time ago and has now been sitting in a Tesla collision Centre lot for 6 weeks and they still haven't even started looking at the vehicle. Trying to get updates from them is like pulling teeth and at this rate, I suspect I won't get my car back until sometime in February or March of next year if I'm "lucky".

It has certainly cooled my enthusiasm for ever buying another vehicle from Tesla.
And how, here I am almost a month later and repair_still_ hasn't started on my Model 3 and Tesla is _still_ unresponsive. At this rate, I'm not sure I'll get my car back before summer.

Incredibly unhappy but at a loss as to what I can do about it at this point.

What??? Do you even know what the lemon law is? Timely repair of an accident has absolutely NOTHING to due with lemon law.

In California, you can pursue lemon law if your car has been in the shop for a long time. I don’t know what’s the law in his region so just putting it out there.

In California, you can pursue lemon law if your car has been in the shop for a long time. I don’t know what’s the law in his region so just putting it out there.

If its been in the shop for a long time for manufacturer covered warranty issues. Not repairs from accidents. Perhaps its different in Canada where the person who is waiting for repairs is but I doubt it.

Reactions: Apprunner
Did Tesla provide a loaner in the meantime?

No body shop is obligated to provide a loaner as it relates to accident repair. @Malaromane stated they got rear ended (thus accident). This has nothing to do with dealer / MFR provided loaners etc. It DOES speak to how long repairs can take due to lack of availability of parts and such, though.

There should be no expectation for a dealer / mfr supplied loaner vehicle for accident repair. The expectation that is being missed is being repaired in a reasonable time frame, which is something that tesla body shops miss all the time (and people are rightly frustrated about that).

No body shop is obligated to provide a loaner as it relates to accident repair. @Malaromane stated they got rear ended (thus accident). This has nothing to do with dealer / MFR provided loaners etc. It DOES speak to how long repairs can take due to lack of availability of parts and such, though.

There should be no expectation for a dealer / mfr supplied loaner vehicle for accident repair. The expectation that is being missed is being repaired in a reasonable time frame, which is something that tesla body shops miss all the time (and people are rightly frustrated about that).
Yeah I forgot he got rear ended. I thought it was warranty work. Tesla is notorious for long lead times for collisions unfortunately.

Of course if you were more mature, you'd understand that foregiveness in design is a good principle for engineers to follow. It's the realization that most humans do make mistakes from time to time and it seeks to make products that (1) Reduce the chances of errors occurring and (2) Minimizes the negative consequences of human errors when they do occur. In short, designing for forgiveness is about preventing or minimizing the consequences of errors. And it's something that Tesla's wheel designers suck at. My car's wheels have never been curbed a second time since the first incident, but that's because my wife and I are super careful when parking along curbs now. But just take a look at most Teslas in parking lots that are more than 3-6 months old and you'll quickly see that this is a design foregiveness problem. My previous car and my wife's previous car both had zero curb markings on the wheels because those wheels were designed for foregiveness and what happened with the Model 3 wasn't anything that hadn't happened many times with our previous cars. The only thing that changed was the design of the wheels. I'd like to give the designers of these wheels some special cell phones whose displays are designed to spontaneously shatter if they're dropped onto a surface from a height of more than 2 inches. If they complain, I'd just tell them well, you're not supposed to drop your phone! Maybe they'll get my point after that happens, because they've done the automotive equivalent of a phone display that shatters when dropped from 2" high.
Wheels being easier to curb is just an industry trend, not necessarily Tesla having "special" wheels. This is a result of generally two factors:
1) Wheels are getting larger and larger in diameter, which puts the rim lower. I remember it used to be that 18" wheels were considered huge. Now it's fairly common. Just looking at the trajectory of a base model car like a Corolla can show the evolution: 1990s 13", 2000s 14", 2010s 15", 2020s 16"

2) Low profile tires and desire for more sidewall stiffness for better cornering performance and rolling resistance. This means a preference for tires that don't stick out beyond the rim. Low profile tires simply are easier to be damaged by curbing in general (rim edge is lower), and optimizing sidewall stiffness usually means the tires don't stick out beyond the rim.

There are tires with "rim protector" sections of rubber specifically because lower profile tires are more susceptible to rim curbing, but their function is quite limited if the tire doesn't really stick out beyond the rim (or only a little)
Tire “Rim Protector” Failure
Pirelli tires with rim protection

The only mistake that I consider Tesla to have made in design is not having the wheel covers cover the rim edge (which kind of defeats part of their purpose of protecting the wheels). Aftermarket covers are now out that do this, so that the wheel covers can be sacrificial.

Last edited:
Reactions: STS-134
Wheels being easier to curb is just an industry trend, not necessarily Tesla having "special" wheels. This is a result of generally two factors:
1) Wheels are getting larger and larger in diameter, which puts the rim lower. I remember it used to be that 18" wheels were considered huge. Now it's fairly common. Just looking at the trajectory of a base model car like a Corolla can show the evolution: 1990s 13", 2000s 14", 2010s 15", 2020s 16"
This is true. But no one forced them to design cars with expensive to repair wheels. They could have put some sort of ablative shielding on the wheels so that they can be repaired easily when they get damaged. Either design it so that it's hard to damage, or design it so that it's cheap to repair when it takes damage. Don't do none of the above.
2) Low profile tires and desire for more sidewall stiffness for better cornering performance and rolling resistance. This means a preference for tires that don't stick out beyond the rim. Low profile tires simply are easier to be damaged by curbing in general (rim edge is lower), and optimizing sidewall stiffness usually means the tires don't stick out beyond the rim.

There are tires with "rim protector" sections of rubber specifically because lower profile tires are more susceptible to rim curbing, but their function is quite limited if the tire doesn't really stick out beyond the rim (or only a little)
Tire “Rim Protector” Failure
Pirelli tires with rim protection

The only mistake that I consider Tesla to have made in design is not having the wheel covers cover the rim edge (which kind of defeats part of their purpose of protecting the wheels). Aftermarket covers are now out that do this, so that the wheel covers can be sacrificial.
Other manufacturers make it where damage is much less likely to occur because they have all around view or bird's eye view or whatever they want to call it in their vehicle, so you can easily see where the wheels are and where the curbs are when you are parking. Tesla not only has wheels that are easy to damage, but left that feature out. Actually, my PHEV has wheels with higher rims, sidewalls that protrude beyond the rims, AND all around view. I can easily park it without having to get out of the vehicle to check where the rims are with respect to the curb if parking on a street with an irregularly shaped curb (like at the end of a cul-de-sac). It's rare that I hit the curb because of the all around view but even if I do, it's not the end of the world. Doing the same thing in the Tesla, I'd have to get out of the car at least once and possibly 2 or 3 times to make sure the wheels don't get damaged.