Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ideas of how to avoid the EV tax credit cancelation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most proactive action I can think of to try and save the EV tax credit is the following:
  • Put together the bullet points in layman's terms for the following ideas
    • Canceling the EV tax credit while allowing big oil to keep their major tax breaks is wrong and creates uneven market
    • Many high tech jobs are being created by EV industry in the US. I suspect this sector has huge growth potential, unless it's stifled. I think these are the types of jobs that we want more of?
    • The current credit plan has cancelation built in (200K max per manufacturer), so it will end itself in due course
    • EV tax credit helps middle income taxpayers not just big companies
    • EV market is on the cusp of rapid growth, US is behind the curve of purchasing
    • EVs is most rapidly growing car segment = votes
    • ???
  • Get these bullet points out and in front of the most people possible. All the EV YouTube folks, at the upcoming TeslaCON, in front of all GOP congress members by as many people as possible. I don't think that we can just assume someone else will fix this or that the bill will change. GOP needs a win, and this bill seems likely to be it. Also the GOP leadership are probably being inundated by every lobbist and donor alike because of their pet loophole. So with so much noise, the EV community really has it's work cut out to not have this EV credit chopped. I consider it a hail Mary, but worth trying. Any volunteers?
Yesterday after watching "All You Know" produced by Zack and Jesse, I called the following 3 Representatives for District CA 20.
They are for those in California:
Senator Dianne Feinstein: (202) 224-3841
Kamala Harris: (202) 224-3553
James Pannetta: (202) 225-2861

1. I spoke live to Dianne Feinstein's Office and some of your points were mentioned not to exclude environmental concerns for local and state impacts with China, Europe, Canada, Australia and other regions leading with Credits or Rebates to prime the pump;
2. I sent letters to all three expressing my opinions on the short sighted actions being taken by the Trump Administration as they are acting contrary to good science for our posterity.
3. I would urge those that read this web site to "CALL AND WRITE" as concerned citizens of their cities, states, and country.

Well, if they are unreadable, maybe you could just not read them instead of encouraging censorship? Just like you are free to say you hate his posts, he's allowed to post them. This is a message board, where opinions are not only encouraged, but necessary to further discussion. And when you're on an EV website, you're logically going to hear a lot of support for EV credits and the political reasons behind them.

Reactions: T34ME and DR61
MODERATORS - Please remove the political partisan banter and remove posting privileges for those who continue to post this crap. 90% of T34ME's posts would fall into this category! Threads like these have become unreadable.
You can always use the "ignore" feature. The thread was started as political partisan banter. It is called censorship when you think that no one should read specifically what you don't want to read. Perhaps the moderators should remove the posting privileges of those who believe in censorship for opinions contrary to their own.

John McCain Confirms: Tax Reform Is "DOA In The Senate"

It’s official: The Republican tax reform bill is dead on arrival in the Senate now that John McCain has become the third Republican senator to confirm that he plans to vote against it.
Not sure I would call anything official yet. The details of the bill are still in flux and as of a few minutes ago the Senate bill was still under wraps.

John McCain Confirms: Tax Reform Is "DOA In The Senate"

It’s official: The Republican tax reform bill is dead on arrival in the Senate now that John McCain has become the third Republican senator to confirm that he plans to vote against it.
I wouldn't be doing any victory dances. The Senate GOP will produce a bill, and it's likely a bill will eventually go to the president. The key for those interested is to influence members of Congress to keep the EV tax credit in the version that passes.

Tax cuts are like catnip to politicians. Few of them can resist.

I think we should approach this in 2 different ways, depending on your personal views of the tax bill.
  1. If you hate the tax bill, contact your GOP representatives and tell them all the things you hate about the bill and that you don't want them to pass it
  2. If you generally like the tax bill, contact your GOP representatives and tell them that you generally like the bill, BUT the EV credit needs to be put BACK in
While I know this seems overly obvious, I don't think people are doing this. I also think this matters because I suspect this bill WILL pass in some form or another and we just don't know what form that is. If the GOP reps only hear "I hate it" and pass it anyway, well if you were #1 above you're screwed on both. If GOP hears "I'm ok, BUT", then we might get the EV credit language put back in before it's passed.

I attempted to make this post NON-PARTISAN. I'm giving both sides an angle to try and save the EV credit.

By the way, here's a GOP champion (from Nevada):
Electric vehicle buyers get an ally within GOP over repeal of the $7,500 federal tax credit

Reactions: ezevphl
I think we should approach this in 2 different ways, depending on your personal views of the tax bill.
  1. If you hate the tax bill, contact your GOP representatives and tell them all the things you hate about the bill and that you don't want them to pass it
  2. If you generally like the tax bill, contact your GOP representatives and tell them that you generally like the bill, BUT the EV credit needs to be put BACK in
While I know this seems overly obvious, I don't think people are doing this. I also think this matters because I suspect this bill WILL pass in some form or another and we just don't know what form that is. If the GOP reps only hear "I hate it" and pass it anyway, well if you were #1 above you're screwed on both. If GOP hears "I'm ok, BUT", then we might get the EV credit language put back in before it's passed.

I attempted to make this post NON-PARTISAN. I'm giving both sides an angle to try and save the EV credit.

By the way, here's a GOP champion (from Nevada):
Electric vehicle buyers get an ally within GOP over repeal of the $7,500 federal tax credit
Non-partisan, but not bipartisan. You didn't mention anything for people represented by Democrats. :) But I think the advice would be essentially the same, with more weight to # 1. A few Senate Democrats in particular are being "wooed" by the President on this.

CALIFORNIA, worth every centavo and I have paid taxes here twice as long as you have.
Agree! Also people who view taxes as stealing their income are often the first to scream when they don’t get the government services they use. Me, my, mine? No, you make a certain salary of income because the job market in your area enables it, and part of that is paying the local taxes. There are parts of the country with lower taxes, but few lucrative jobs.

Back to the topic at hand, I think if CA does do credit or rebate, it should be inversely based on price of the car, and graduated according to income. I don’t think most S/X buyers need the incentive, but sure would like to see incentives for production and adoption of mainstream EVs.

Reactions: T34ME
Let's be honest here people. The backlash on the EV credit being eliminated prematurely is driven by the fact that it takes $7500 out of your pocket, not some "greater good". The tax credit would be starting to phase out for many manufacturers anyway in the next year or two. In addition, the early elimination is not keeping the manufacturers from moving forward with their EV development plans as U.S.states and other countries are forcing them to do so through legislation. If you really cared about the "greater good", you would acknowledge the booming economy and jobs market the U.S. has experienced over the last year, and how the broad based tax cuts will put more money in the pockets of millions of Americans and businesses, creating even more economic stimulus and jobs. The EV credit is so small potatoes when you consider the big picture here with the tax cuts. #USA

The whole idea behind the tax credit is to stimulate the transition from ice cars to ev's. Of course people will then change their behavior because of the amount they receive, there's nothing wrong with that.
Broad based tax cuts stimulate the economy (which btw is not wise in an already booming economy) but not the transition to a more sustainable economy.
In fact, by cutting only on ev's and not subsidies(>$2.3B) on ice cars, the state clearly sends a message that it wants to stimulate the use of fossil fuel. Of course this all clearly fits Trump's ideas on/denial of environmental problems.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
If you really cared about the "greater good", you would acknowledge the booming economy and jobs market the U.S. has experienced over the last year, and how the broad based tax cuts will put more money in the pockets of millions of Americans and businesses, creating even more economic stimulus and jobs.
I stipulate I am pissed off about elimination of the EV credit because I had planned on taking advantage of it in 2018. So you're saying it's OK for the government to (in effect) engage in an elaborate bait-and-switch to get EVs in production, then yank the support prematurely?

The economy and jobs market has been booming for several years, not just the past year. It's not due to a Donald J. Trump Jedi mind trick. More relevant to your claim, perhaps, is a booming stock market, but that too has been on a tear since March 2009.

Hey, it's possible a corporate tax cut (which is what 2/3 of the new budget deficits will be funding) may help the economy grow. I doubt it, but it's certainly going to make shareholders, business owners, and corporate executives richer. As to putting more money into the pocket of millions of Americans, eh, that's not the point and not what studies show (other than ones that rely on specious and optimistic "dynamic [budget] scoring"). The House GOP plan, due to the change in the inflation measure, will actually increase taxes in the out years on millions of middle class Americans. The estate tax repeal (affecting only the top 0.2% of all taxpayers), meanwhile, is forever.