Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Identify and Occupy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
A lot has been posted about MS' acceleration and responsiveness from a dead stop. Those things are all good and good fun but I find another feature of MS' driveline really makes life fun.

Sportbikes are great for interstate traffic. They have high horsepower and little mass so they point and squirt well. This is particularly useful when you see a hole in traffic and need to get there from here. Sportscars like a 911 or M3 do a reasonable job of this task while large four door sedans take a bit of planning if you do not want to swap paint.

MS, on the other hand, is the king of identify and occupy. You see a hole and you're there. There is no delay to open butterflies, downshift, build boost or the like. The car reacts immediately and predictably.

I guess the same ability of MS to Identify and Occupy can be said of Tesla. Apparently they saw a gaping hole for a quality BEV and popped right into it :)

lola...that is a great phrase to describe how the MS makes the highway drive better. Using my right foot alone I can surgically insert my MS into 'slots' that I would be afraid to try to in my Lexus GS450h (which was pretty fast for a hybrid).

This is one of my favorite features also. The only freeway in my town is notorious for essentially zero acceleration lanes at the on ramps. Since I've gotten the MS it's not an issue and I look forward to the merges. Cars will move over to let me in but instead I'll "pop" into the space in the fast lane. The biggest danger is running into the cars ahead of me.

Driving on congested two lane country roads now is also pretty much stress free. Stuck behind Grandma going 45 mph in the 55 mph zone. No problem, "pop" we're around.