TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Identify and Occupy

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by lolachampcar, Jul 1, 2013.

1. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

A lot has been posted about MS' acceleration and responsiveness from a dead stop. Those things are all good and good fun but I find another feature of MS' driveline really makes life fun.

Sportbikes are great for interstate traffic. They have high horsepower and little mass so they point and squirt well. This is particularly useful when you see a hole in traffic and need to get there from here. Sportscars like a 911 or M3 do a reasonable job of this task while large four door sedans take a bit of planning if you do not want to swap paint.

MS, on the other hand, is the king of identify and occupy. You see a hole and you're there. There is no delay to open butterflies, downshift, build boost or the like. The car reacts immediately and predictably.

I guess the same ability of MS to Identify and Occupy can be said of Tesla. Apparently they saw a gaping hole for a quality BEV and popped right into it :)

2. Liz G

Liz G P03056

I would have to agree. It's a great "lane hopper". Though sometimes I scare myself with how easy it is to sneak into tiny holes. Between the instant acceleration and the rear view camera changing lanes is a breeze.

3. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

I've had my S for 3 days now and there is something joyful about the I&O effect. I have to say though, I need to moderate my desire to do this.

4. eAdopter

eAdopter Member

It's become a bad habbit. My MS is being repaired this week and the I&O habbit is dangerous when driving our ICE. I'm also leaving the ICE running and unlocked when I exit...once even in Drive. I want my MS back!

5. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

My bf calls it "teleporting"

6. jammerdjc

jammerdjc S Owner/Member

I seriously need the speed limiter to be functional for just this reason. I find myself seeking and jumping into the hole and suddenly going even faster. It's so smooth and fast that you hit 90-95 in a virtual instant.

7. JPP

JPP Active Member

lola...that is a great phrase to describe how the MS makes the highway drive better. Using my right foot alone I can surgically insert my MS into 'slots' that I would be afraid to try to in my Lexus GS450h (which was pretty fast for a hybrid).

8. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Funny.... I tried this maneuver the other day driving my wife's Enclave... Punched it to change lanes into faster moving traffic..... Bad idea. Lots of noise and not much else.

9. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

That's an I&UHOH. P85 got wrapped yesterday, driving my Prius I tried an I&O, nothing happened for about 5 minutes... at least that's how it felt.

10. nspollution

nspollution Member

It's not just the "nothing happened for about 5 minutes" bit.

It's also the nonsense of constantly lurching back and forth as the beast tries to switch gears. Funny how you don't notice it when ICE is all you know.

11. Volker.Berlin

Volker.Berlin Member

12. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

The roadster is far better at this since it's a much smaller car. :)

I did get to try out passing on some 2 lane roads this week. Talk about warp speed when accelerating from 80km/h. You're up to 130km/h in no time!

13. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

This is one of my favorite features also. The only freeway in my town is notorious for essentially zero acceleration lanes at the on ramps. Since I've gotten the MS it's not an issue and I look forward to the merges. Cars will move over to let me in but instead I'll "pop" into the space in the fast lane. The biggest danger is running into the cars ahead of me.

Driving on congested two lane country roads now is also pretty much stress free. Stuck behind Grandma going 45 mph in the 55 mph zone. No problem, "pop" we're around.

14. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

My son refers to me switching and passing as "Sling shotting" into position!

15. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Good job! Raise'm right and by example.
    Jerry, I am absolutely certain I will pay for my mis-spent youth as my daughter ages :)