Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idiot in the P100D with his Left turn Signal on for 3 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Years of motorcycle riding has given me great turn signal habits. You can't hear the relay and the indicator is usually a tiny green light at the bottom of the instruments. It just becomes a habit to check after each maneuver that uses the signal.

However some bikes (BMW comes to mind) with auto-cancel after a certain amount of distance. That makes a lot of sense and it would be a great little feature to add to a Tesla in the US. Not so much in countries where it's required while in the left lane though.

My 2004 GMC Yukon XL has a "TURN SIGNAL ON" alarm that increases the signal volume after 3/4 mile and displays a message on the DIC (Driver Information Center). I've often wondered why Tesla did not include this feature, it seems like a simple thing to do, very useful and hard to ignore.

Maybe it's because the guys who design Tesla's are young, while most of the people who can afford to buy them are old, forgetful and half deaf, like me. :)

Have you ever seen one of those Idiots in a Model S in the fast lane with his Left turn Signal on for 3 Miles? Well it turns out that guy is now me:-( The digital turn signal noise is very quiet. I suspect its that way to not wake the driver while using Autopilot. In addition the turn signal icon on the dash is very small, so I don't notice it. OK I'm not that old but the damn thing is making me feel that way. Wife was following me last week and gave me a hard time which was deserved for driving with it on for three miles. If its just me I will get hearing aids and new glasses...... Let the abuse commence:)

This happens to me sometimes. In fact it happened today, and my wife reminded me to turn it off. And I'm not THAT old yet.. still in my 30s (just barely).

So it's all good, don't sweat the small stuff.
:cool:

the preferred latter implementation requires an electric mechanism (probably just a cheap solenoid)

For the love of (insert anything you care about here), please don't suggest Tesla use cheap parts for anything. I already got a 2017 cost reduced side mirror. I actually don't have the first mirror anymore, on a second one already, waiting for a third - in less than 2 months of ownership! Judging by the forum discussions, I am not the only one. So no, no cheap parts please!

For the love of (insert anything you care about here), please don't suggest Tesla use cheap parts for anything. I already got a 2017 cost reduced side mirror. I actually don't have the first mirror anymore, on a second one already, waiting for a third - in less than 2 months of ownership! Judging by the forum discussions, I am not the only one. So no, no cheap parts please!

Ah yes. Sorry. I should have used the word "inexpensive".

Hearing aids.. you will discover all sorts of things that blip and ding that you never knew made a noise. Or for those times when i am driving alone and dont need to listen to passengers so take my aids out, bifocals are the go. As mr motorbike says it becomes a habit to look for the flashing indicator

It would be nice, and you'd think fairly easy to set it up so we can customize some of the display. Bigger turn signal indicator. A turn signal indicator on the main screen.

But what I'd really like is to move my high beam indicator to where I can see it - with the wheel set where it's comfortable, it completely blocks that part of the display.

Reactions: Lightmatrix
Model X has a "lane change" blinker feature (as does our ICE sedan). It flashes a few times and stops automatically a few seconds later. This is all I ever use on the high way. I only actually "click" the blinker when making a tight turn (90 degree turn at a stop sign), and then usually the wheel turning will turn it off.

Does Model S not have this lane change blinker feature?

I find myself in the same situation often since I like to listen to loud music and when changing lanes the signal rarely cancels itself. I have never had this issue on any previous car and I notice it all the time.

The sound is electronic and I've had occasional issues with it not playing which was fixed with a reboot of the center console... It's entirely possible that the person in question wasn't getting the audible sound and thus didn't realize they were on... The simple fix of course is to do what virtually every other car maker does now which is add a reminder to the main instrument cluster once the turn signals are on for X amount of time...

Jeff

Idiot in the P100D with his Left turn Signal on for 3 Miles

My first thought when reading this was "Hey. It happens!"
then it was "Oh my, was it me?" (but then realized I have an S60...)

This issue just happened to me last week.
I got on I35 in downtown Minneapolis, by turning right. I (thought I) used the "soft click" feature (to make it flash three times then stop automatically)

I heard a clicking on the highway. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

Then when I exited the highway (you guessed it... like 2-3 miles away) I went to put on my right turn signal...
only to find out that it was already on!

The green flashing arrow light is so small I didn't see it, even when looking.

I don't remember this ever happening in any of my other cars.

Thus, I too would like a bigger and more obvious indication that the turning signal is on

OK, well I guess its not just me so I hope the User Experience guys at Tesla Read this and consider making a change like suggested above so I appear to be smarter:)

I think older drivers have a tendency to keep their blinkers on, not because they are daft, but because they aren't hearing the blinker clicks. There should be an option for blinker click volume for folks who tend to miss that.
I think older drivers also tend to actually USE their signals. I would hazard a guess that less than 1% of lane changes are completed with a signal.

Reactions: JHWJR
I always call out people driving with their turn signals on! Dee-Tuh-Dee

The turn signal in my Volt is loud and irritating, along with the stupid door chime. However in the Tesla it's very low, which is great, but would be better if it made no sound whatsoever. Although, that probably wouldn't help you LOL

I used to have a 1995 Chevrolet Impala SS. I learned the hard way that evidently it has an alarm that goes off if your turn signal is on for more than a quarter mile. It too used electronic sound effects for the turn signal.
I was on an 8 lane highway, in the left lane, and needed to get all the way over to exit. I hit my right turn signal, mashed the go pedal, and started my sweep across lanes to the right. At those speeds, you travel a quarter mile pretty darn quick! Right as I was about to let off the gas, and hit the exit ramp, this blaring alarm went off and scared the crap out of me! I thought I just blew-up my shiny new car, LOL!

Model X has a "lane change" blinker feature (as does our ICE sedan). It flashes a few times and stops automatically a few seconds later. This is all I ever use on the high way. I only actually "click" the blinker when making a tight turn (90 degree turn at a stop sign), and then usually the wheel turning will turn it off.

Does Model S not have this lane change blinker feature?

Yes, but neither is useful while changing lanes in AP mode. In AP mode, turn indicator must be fully on to change lanes automatically, but does not shut off when lane change is done.