Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If everything is software upgradable. . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. . . why is there not a cottage industry in turning on and off options?

If you own a modern car, many things are adjustable inside the computer. For example, you can turn off air bag warnings, the bitching betty in NAV radios and reprogram various elements of the software to turn various switches on and off - if all the EAP and self-driving components are already installed when you buy the vehicle, even bio weapon defense mode as a side comment, [steering wheel heater?] why can't you just turn it all on?

Obviously if they push upgrades out you will not get them because you will turn your modem off if you do this, but it seems like a former Tesla employee can simply set up shop down the street re-programming any car thats out there - Tesla included.

other than Elon coming after you, where do you agree to NOT mess with the software in the car? The license agreement says you won't deconstruct the software, it doesn't say the end user doesn't agree to not modify it and use it in their car. I'm looking at documents presented at delivery - I"m not seeing a limitation this . . .

Well, firstly because there are relatively few folks that posses the skills needed to hack the software to achieve this. Also, most folks that have gained control of the systems are less likely to help out others because Tesla can simply patch their exploits in a subsequent release. Add that on top of the moral argument and it is obvious why this hasn't been done.

Reactions: dragonxt
Well, firstly because there are relatively few folks that posses the skills needed to hack the software to achieve this. Also, most folks that have gained control of the systems are less likely to help out others because Tesla can simply patch their exploits in a subsequent release. Add that on top of the moral argument and it is obvious why this hasn't been done.

I understand the moral issue, but morality has not constrained profit in the ICE field . . .

About the only mod I would do is swap out slacker for Spotify....

Tesla has a right to collect $$ for EAP/FSD/etc, and even if I “could” enable these, I never would without paying them what they’re asking first. They put serious $$$$$$ onto SW R&D to make all of this work and deserve to be compensated.

On the other hand, I think enabling things like the high amp charger (assuming you get/install the hardware), or swapping parts out and updating the SW config to match is/should be fair game. If tesla doesn’t step up and deliver an option soon for these sorts of “mods” as well as to enable 3rd party maintenence and repairs for out of warranty vehicles, I see several 3rd parties filling these shoes. They have a legal obligation to provide these tools in my state, and so far have not delivered.

Reactions: comanchepilot
It would sure be nice to be able to turn on certain functions for a price without having to by an entire package -

Does the radio have Sirius XM already built in but not turned on? Or do they add a hardware tuner upgrade?

Internet Radio is fine - but you will have a data issue eventually after your free 4 is over. . .

About the only mod I would do is swap out slacker for Spotify....

Tesla has a right to collect $$ for EAP/FSD/etc, and even if I “could” enable these, I never would without paying them what they’re asking first. They put serious $$$$$$ onto SW R&D to make all of this work and deserve to be compensated.

On the other hand, I think enabling things like the high amp charger (assuming you get/install the hardware), or swapping parts out and updating the SW config to match is/should be fair game. If tesla doesn’t step up and deliver an option soon for these sorts of “mods” as well as to enable 3rd party maintenence and repairs for out of warranty vehicles, I see several 3rd parties filling these shoes. They have a legal obligation to provide these tools in my state, and so far have not delivered.

thats where I am going with the question - once a vehicle is out of warranty, they don't control the software anymore - they can't force you to eat theirs the way they configure it to maintain the warranty . . .