Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If given choice: AP1 or AP2 HW with SW to come?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd never buy on the promise of a future feature, again.

I was amongst the first batch of P85D's, but I didn't really purchase my car for AP (wasn't convinced it would be much more than a gimmick, like summon), so the 10 month wait for autosteer wasn't as bad for me. But I felt the pain of those who had purchased in large part due to AP as each month passed.

I think it'll be another four years before AP2.0 can justify its hefty pricetag over AP1.0. And I think we're a decade away from a car driving itself to a destination without any interaction from the passengers - like the press conference would have everyone believe.

I didn't have a choice as such, other than deciding to go ahead with my order while knowing AP2 was around the corner. However, in retrospect, my mindset would remain unchanged - I'd take AP1.0 over AP2.0 .

The latter was released on Oct 2016, with intended feature parity with AP1.0 by December. It's still not near feature parity, and currently behaves like AP1.0 did perhaps in late 2015-early 2016, based on descriptions in forum threads.

AP is not a feature I treat as a future bet in support of Tesla. I need it today, and I need it to work well. AP1.0 is frankly way beyond my expectations of it. It makes my longish work commute way more easier than what it would have been otherwise. There's no upside in it for me to bet on AP2.0 . The latter only has value to me once EAP is fully mature. I'll consider swapping my car for a newer one around 2019-20, at which time I expect it to be. For $2500, AP1 is enormous value for money because it has measurable daily savings in mental and physical energy for me. For twice that sum, AP2 is not sufficiently worth it to me, today, or for at least another year.

As for FSD, it's not really clear to me if Tesla even has the hardware base of the Nvidia PX2 to fully implement it within. When AP1.0 first came out, onramp to offramp autonomous operation was described, among other things. However, the hardware was simply incapable of supporting it, lacking the camera field of vision to perform lane changes etc.

Further, Tesla's lack of specificity about the distinction between EAP and FSD makes me wonder when they'll declare EAP 'done' and consider everything beyond as FSD. There was after all, a time when currently promised AP2 functionality was intended to be available in AP1.

Reactions: u00mem9
Easy question for me to answer. I looked at buying the car as an investment in what would come. I buy cars for the long game -- own them for 10 years or more. With that purchase strategy, buying the latest and greatest makes sense and I knew that not all the features were active and might take months to come online (I'd followed what happened with AP1 software/feature releases after that hardware came out). I made the decision to buy AP2 car with EAP. Held off on FSD because I think there will be challenges in rolling out that capability and could revisit the decision in 2018 or so as more became clear on Tesla's roadmap. Am very happy with my decision and disagree with others who feel that Tesla has been misleading its customers or engaged in shady behavior. I got exactly what I ordered and realize that some features already available on AP1 cars will not become available on my car for several months...but they will come and free of charge via OTA updates...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I was in the position of having AP 1.0 and wanting AP 2.0.

So I purchased my Tesla in June 2016 (ordered 3 days before the refresh announcement). Took delivery and loved every minute. I actually added almost 13k worth of PPF, dash cam, rims, spoiler, chrome delete, etc.

Fast forward to when AP 2.0 was announced, October 19th. I knew I wanted it but wanted to keep my current car a little longer since I put so much aftermarket into it. So I placed an order for an AP 2.0 90D on December 31st. Then I changed the order date to January 15th (deadline for free supercharging). When the 100D was announced I canceled my 90D order and I ordered my 100D on February 1st with full self driving. Just went into production.

I sold my AP 1.0 90D on January 28th after only 239 days of ownership. Would I advise anyone to flip a car that quick? No, I lost quite a bit of money doing so but I really wanted AP 2.0 due to what the future holds for it. I figured if I hold onto my AP 1.0 car it will keep diminishing in value as I stacked on the miles. But I am also a person who flips through tech quickly. I always get the new phone, laptop, cameras, etc. Its expensive but I normally always sell my "old" tech for a decent amount.

All that being said, I wouldn't change anything I did. I would have done it the exact same again and I will likely do it again in the future.

Thanks Erik

Lol, in what world would they be coming "free of charge? "
To the best of my knowledge Tesla has never charged for an OTA software update, hence "free of charge". Yes, I paid a fee for EAP but do not expect that I will be asked to pay additional money for the EAP features that are not yet on my car but will be added (self parking, summon, auto-windshields, auto-hi/lowbeams, etc.).

Reactions: anonim1979
Tough question.

Had I known in October that Tesla would be this far behind and this shady about EAP, then at that time I would've not purchased a Tesla at all -- either waiting until it was a mature system (hopefully from a more mature company) or I would've bought the T8 Volvo XC90 (if I just couldn't stand my current car any longer).

Had Tesla been honest about the roadmap for EAP, then I might've still ordered in October.

If I were just now thinking of buying a Tesla, I'd not buy AP1 -- I'd worry about support for an old system. But I'm not sure I'd buy EAP -- for if I read what I see now, I'd not trust Tesla.

Alas, I now own a really expensive car built by a company I have absolutely no trust in. Great. I really value integrity and honesty -- and while I'm sure others might, ba-dump-bump, disagree, it's nonetheless souring my ownership experience greatly.

I was looking at the exactly the same alternative vehicle, the Volvo XC90 T8, until I switched to the Model S. I did my first Tesla test drive the same day I returned my overnight test drive Volvo. In fall 2016 there was a three or four month wait for the XC90 configured the way I wanted it coming to Vancouver, and the HW2 announcements pushed me in the direction of Tesla. I ordered early November and got my car just before Christmas.

Like many others here, I'm disgusted at Tesla's dishonestly around the EAP release, and astounded at the clearly hazardous state of the current implementation. The obfuscation doesn't square with the company I thought Tesla was supposed to be. I've worked in the medical device industry for 20 years in product development and quality systems, and based on that experience I can see only two explanations for the actual roll-out of EAP vs. projected: Tesla was fully aware they were many months away from anything that should be called EAP, and lied to drive end of year sales, or the software team leads are totally incompetent.

All that said, I'm glad I have my Model S. I look forward to driving it everyday and love not pumping gas. I wouldn't have been as happy with any of the other cars I looked at, no matter how refined. It's disappointing how things have transpired, but I would still buy the same car tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: RobW2428
I for one agree. Their rep has taken a hit with me. I recommend with reservations. I ordered a MS with AP2 and cancelled and ended up with a 2016.5 with AP1. I think AP1 is a great product. Like many here I am an Engineer and I agree with the vast majority of other owners in their concerns over AP2. I'll just come right out and say that I believe that the AP2 will not achieve full parity with AP1 but will offer other upgrades that AP1 won't. With Elon stating that the current hardware isn't sufficient for FSD and the desire for Tesla to stay cutting edge I believe they will be installing a new hardware setup within 12 months. Now thats just my opinion but I am concluding with the vast majority of the evidence presented. At some point we need to accept it's just not working.

Where did Elon state that the current hardware isn't sufficient for FSD? All I've seen is that he stated that if it's not it's a simple board upgrade.

To the best of my knowledge Tesla has never charged for an OTA software update, hence "free of charge". Yes, I paid a fee for EAP but do not expect that I will be asked to pay additional money for the EAP features that are not yet on my car but will be added (self parking, summon, auto-windshields, auto-hi/lowbeams, etc.).

I guess his point was that since you've paid for EAP how is the slow OTA rollout of these features "free"?

Reactions: RAW84 and Tomnook
Nope. I don't own any Tesla stock. I'm a Tesla owner and enthusiast (although less so now that I own one. :().

If your interests in the stock are so great that you cannot reasonably engage or trust people who do not like how Tesla is handling their ownership experience, I suggest you stick to the stock forum. I don't know if the "Are you short" thing is just a meme here, but it reeks of being a question asked in order to undermine any legitimacy and makes very clear that the person asking it is not operating rationally. .02.

No, sorry if it sounded negative. I've read a number of your post, many of them are very in depth, and I haven't heard you say that you own the Tesla. I just wanted to make sure I could read what you said and not have to worry about that!

Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: disagree
Tough question.

Had I known in October that Tesla would be this far behind and this shady about EAP, then at that time I would've not purchased a Tesla at all -- either waiting until it was a mature system (hopefully from a more mature company) or I would've bought the T8 Volvo XC90 (if I just couldn't stand my current car any longer).

Had Tesla been honest about the roadmap for EAP, then I might've still ordered in October.

If I were just now thinking of buying a Tesla, I'd not buy AP1 -- I'd worry about support for an old system. But I'm not sure I'd buy EAP -- for if I read what I see now, I'd not trust Tesla.

Alas, I now own a really expensive car built by a company I have absolutely no trust in. Great. I really value integrity and honesty -- and while I'm sure others might, ba-dump-bump, disagree, it's nonetheless souring my ownership experience greatly.

So I purchased my Tesla in June 2016 (ordered 3 days before the refresh announcement). Took delivery and loved every minute. I actually added almost 13k worth of PPF, dash cam, rims, spoiler, chrome delete, etc.

Fast forward to when AP 2.0 was announced, October 19th. I knew I wanted it but wanted to keep my current car a little longer since I put so much aftermarket into it. So I placed an order for an AP 2.0 90D on December 31st. Then I changed the order date to January 15th (deadline for free supercharging). When the 100D was announced I canceled my 90D order and I ordered my 100D on February 1st with full self driving. Just went into production.

I sold my AP 1.0 90D on January 28th after only 239 days of ownership. Would I advise anyone to flip a car that quick? No, I lost quite a bit of money doing so but I really wanted AP 2.0 due to what the future holds for it. I figured if I hold onto my AP 1.0 car it will keep diminishing in value as I stacked on the miles. But I am also a person who flips through tech quickly. I always get the new phone, laptop, cameras, etc. Its expensive but I normally always sell my "old" tech for a decent amount.

All that being said, I wouldn't change anything I did. I would have done it the exact same again and I will likely do it again in the future.

Thanks Erik

Erik,
All good points and I am a big earlier adopters too....

Thanks Erik

Erik, I hear you and I am an aggresive early adopter as well but the point is the ability to play with and interact with the tech. Right now it's vaporware and i
Where did Elon state that the current hardware isn't sufficient for FSD? All I've seen is that he stated that if it's not it's a simple board upgrade.[/QUOTE

Seriously....
ElecTrek reports that Elon was speaking at the "World Government Summit in Dubai" where he said "Tesla could need to upgrade the computer in the new vehicles in order to enable fully self-drive.

There is a major difference between hardware upgrades and software. The hardware will come in the form of AP3; that's just my educated guess.
Where did Elon state that the current hardware isn't sufficient for FSD? All I've seen is that he stated that if it's not it's a simple board upgrade.

Seriously....
ElecTrek reports that Elon was speaking at the "World Government Summit in Dubai" where he said "Tesla could need to upgrade the computer in the new vehicles in order to enable fully self-drive.

Hardware upgrades are different than software as you well know. My best guess is FSD will come with AP3