Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If GM built this car with an electric drivetrain, Tesla would be out of business--

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone suggested driving to the dealer to swap out for a hybrid and naturally some people I think have misunderstood the intent of that post, saying I'll never drive to a dealer or give a dealer my car, etc, etc, etc. I pretty sure the one who posted that was referring to the same offer BMW has if you buy one of their all electric vehicles. And it's actually a pretty damn good offer.

BMW, if you buy an i3 from them, will GIVE you a free loaner car if you need to go on a long distance trip that exceeds the range of their electric vehicle. For them, that's only 80 miles. But that's still a pretty good offer. First off, there's no cost to it. You don't have to leave your car at the dealer if you don't want to. Just get a ride to the dealer to pick up the free loaner car. Second, you can rack up travel miles on someone else's car. if you're taking a 2,000 mile round trip, would be nice to not rack up those miles on your own car, de-valuing your own car. At Tesla's rates of $1.00 depreciation per mile, that trip would cost you $2,000 in value on your car.

Of course if such a car has a 250-300 mile range, you wouldn't be forced to do this if you didn't want to. You could still take your car if you so chose. But having BMW or in this case if this car every did come to pass as an electric vehicle, give you the OPTION of picking up a loaner car is a pretty nice option to have. Lets face it, travelling in a Tesla ABSOLUTELY takes longer than travelling in an ICE. If you had a trip where you couldn't afford to sacrifice the charging time needed, at least with BMW or in this case, GM as proposed, you would have the option of swapping out for another car and taking your trip much quicker, again, while saving the mileage on your own car.

With the Chademo chargers popping up all over the place and having charge rates not all that far off of what Supercharger rates are, travelling in any EV is going to be "reasonable" in the very near future. So IF GM were to produce this car or any other car as an EV with 250+ miles of range, in another year or two, the Chademo network will likely be built up enough by then to make long distance travel possible, even without a specific manufacturer providing it's own Supercharger network. Additionally, the advantage to having such a network and driving a GM or any other large manufacturer's vehicle, you'd likely always have the option to stop off at any dealer for a free charge too and not be limited only to the locations of Superchargers.

As the population of EV cars on the road grows past the current 1% and into the 20%+ range, I think most manufacturers will get together on a charging network that will be nationwide and available every few miles, not just every 150-200 miles. In addition to that, with that many EV's on the road, I think most current gas stations would start installing fast chargers as well. We're many years off of that happening, but someday, you'll be able to charge at any corner gas/charge station.

Anyway, the idea of at least having the option to swap out your car (or simply go pick up a loaner car while your car sits in your garage) is a good very good one that BMW already offers.

Thanks, you explained it so well. And it proves that I did not suggest the idea from vacuum.

They have been engaging in 69s with Big Oil for too long, it would not make sense to do EV right.

Do you think Tesla would survive a fiasco like the ignition switch mass murders, or killing 3 brands, receiving
a bailout and lying about having paid it off (took another loan)?

Consumer Reports top car for 2015 is the P85D. But two of the top ten cars are Chevys. GM is back. Japan fades. Probably too busy perfecting the Miari......

Google is your friend. Key word = BMW loaner for i3.
Please note the i3 AMP (Advanced Mobility Program) isn't mandatory for dealers to participate. Guess what, most don't. Those that do put interesting restrictions on the loaner, such as no travel out of state.

Leave it to the dealers to mess it up.

Going back to the original poster's thread title, well, how nice.

It's GM. It's a Buick. Concept, as it says across the truck lid. It is not an ICE, as far as you know. It could be a shell. It showed up at an auto show. And one person says that if it were an EV it would kill Tesla. As in, "IF".

Not one person responding had anything to guess about possible GM price, IF it were an EV, IF it were ever built. Several say, "I'd buy it". Right.

I'd put on the level of a Cadillac in price. And, as the ELR, it would be a hybrid. If GM put a big pack on a big car, it would cost big bucks.

And I already own a car that looks like it. Model S. Only it has four wheel drive and a 300 mile range, probably seats more people, goes quicker. This whole entire thread is conjecture.

So what's the excitement about?

Of those stealerships that participate, it has a cap of 14 days per calendar year. Quite the program indeed. I see nothing from Buick.

I don't get why you would want a car that you have to borrow and drive someone else's car to travel. I did that with Hertz cars for thirty five years. Always hated to drive a car I was not familiar with and did not choose to own or buy. So if you own an i3 you can basically drive a Rental when you need to travel. Wow that sounds like fun.

- - - Updated - - -

I have both a Volt and a Tesla and to be fair the Volt has been more reliable and much lower cost than my Roadster. Yes Tesla servicing has been very good. But the Chevy dealer has also treated us well

- - - Updated - - -

We hope eventually but there are many holes with SuperChargers. Try to drive to NE TN for example without tacking on a few days.

This comment made me wonder how many holes there are in the GM charging network ???

There are a lot of cars out there with the same basic shape as the Model S. The Jaguar XF, the Toyota Avalon (from some angles), Hyundai Genesis, and a few others I can't think of at the moment. When I think I've spotted a Model S, I check the door handles and see if there is a blade antenna on the rear roof. The shape of the Model S is one of the most aerodynamic shapes a car can have without getting into extreme sports car land, or having something like covered wheels. With car companies trying to squeeze as much economy as possible out of ICE, it makes sense that most sedans are going to move towards the shape of the Model S. It's more about physics than styling.

This would be the perfect design for the Model S coupe :cool:

The Buick Avista concept http://www.buick.com/avista-concept-coupe.html

2016-Buick-Avista-Concept-012.0.jpg

Last edited:
There are a lot of cars out there with the same basic shape as the Model S. The Jaguar XF, the Toyota Avalon (from some angles), Hyundai Genesis, and a few others I can't think of at the moment. When I think I've spotted a Model S, I check the door handles and see if there is a blade antenna on the rear roof. The shape of the Model S is one of the most aerodynamic shapes a car can have without getting into extreme sports car land, or having something like covered wheels. With car companies trying to squeeze as much economy as possible out of ICE, it makes sense that most sedans are going to move towards the shape of the Model S. It's more about physics than styling.

I agree to a point with what you are saying but I think most of us are seeing model S like details beyond the basic side silhouette (which would be the aerodynamic driver).

I see the following as being very model S like:
1) flush shiny metal door handles
2) side mirror mounts being horizontal shiny metal bar with similar shaped body coloured mirrors mounted on top
3) headlight shape
4) driver seat headrests as views from outside being integrated with seat shape rather than separate height adjustable "pillow"
5) "hips" over rear wheels

Sure you could find similar details on a number of other cars, but to me the overall look, bar the grille, has been strongly influenced by the model S.

As many have already noted that is not a bad thing and imitation is a high compliment.

If GM built this car with an electric drivetrain, Tesla would be out of busin...

I don't get why you would want a car that you have to borrow and drive someone else's car to travel. I did that with Hertz cars for thirty five years. Always hated to drive a car I was not familiar with and did not choose to own or buy. So if you own an i3 you can basically drive a Rental when you need to travel. Wow that sounds like fun.

I don't have an i3, but I do have a small/mid sized car. Love it around town. On several occasions I have rented (Enterprise) to take trips. I could get the car size that suited me for the trip (different depending on people, duration, and luggage).

No, not as fancy as my car. But not bad either. Financially a good move. I save gas around town. I can right size for a trip (full size, minivan, full van). Now most people with a Model S aren't worried about a few miles on their car. But there are currently lots of sales of cars less than $30k. It's a huge market.