Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If GM built this car with an electric drivetrain, Tesla would be out of business--

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a nice car, but I don't see how a coupe which barely seats four could possibly compete with a sedan like the Model S. I'm sure it could eat away some sales, but the level of practicality would be vastly different. An EV version of this thing would me more of a Roadster competitor than a Model S competitor, let alone a Model X competitor.

Blatant copy of Model S body design.
I don't see S design cues, but I do see some Aston Martin in the side windows and fender lines. I can't imagine Buick did a complete design shift from boring (to me), old (to me), design ethics into this without some poaching of designers OR blatantly stealing design (like ford did from AM on the Fusion grill and Mustang side windows). It's beautiful though. I'm just not sure if some people will be able to pull the trigger on a Buick no matter how sexy it is. That name is just too old to me.

Even if they built it with the exact specs of the Model S, at a slightly lower price point, they still don't have the supercharger network. I'd never consider another EV until they had something similar.

Charging Infrastructure is everything to an EV. Ask Brian Kent from "Negative Carbon U.S. Road Trip #1" on Facebook. He's driving a Leaf to all 48 states and Nissan has been pretty lame with providing reliable chargers at their dealerships and it makes for tons of frustration and bad customer relations. He loves his car, but having to use plug share and dealers that ICE their [FONT=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]access[/FONT] to charging is getting old and frustrating. I can't take any car company seriously with out a proper Charging Infrastructure.

Could care less about what GM or any other manufacturer does with electric in terms of "Hurting Tesla." I want it to happen cause it is better for the world. But even better for the world would be a freaking Model S Coupe!!! After seeing this, I want!!!

Love the looks of the car...

However, so long as GM is anchored to their dealers it will take a tremendous effort to transition from ICE to EV. Dealers don't want to change, they'll fight tooth and nail until the bitter end to change. GMs plan to suggest I drive to a dealer to swap cars when my battery is low is ludicrous and not in the good way... I hate having to go to a dealer at ANY point for ANYTHING, much less swap cars... This is one of those ideas that someone came up with in a vacuum and forgot to actually ask anyone with half a brain whether or not it'd be feasible...

Jeff

Great looks. We're thinking about the network deal-breaker when Tesla's book cost was ~150mm. CCS could get built-out like wild fire. We can say "if" until we're blue. These companies have the resources to sneeze one. Strategy is changing, too. With ~200 mile economies, an easier to build highway network looks more practical. More like, er, Tesla's.

GM is gapping the non-tesla competition. If autos end up like the electric power sector, they could become advocates for (light-duty) regulation, CAFE, etc. Wouldn't it be weird?

I would never buy a GM no matter what it looks like.

I would. I've had very positive experiences with late model GM vehicles, including the dealer experience. My GM cars have had far fewer problems than my Model S and the dealer experience has been pretty much identical to Tesla's. They valet my cars, clean them before returning and all the stuff Tesla does.

And you'd be okay with some guy from the GM dealership driving your car back and having it parked god knows where?

My dash cam caught a couple of Tesla folks making a coffee run in my car. They now unplug my dash cam whenever my car goes in for service. To be fair, no harm done to the car, and if they stopped for coffee while test driving... I guess that's okay.

Someone suggested driving to the dealer to swap out for a hybrid and naturally some people I think have misunderstood the intent of that post, saying I'll never drive to a dealer or give a dealer my car, etc, etc, etc. I pretty sure the one who posted that was referring to the same offer BMW has if you buy one of their all electric vehicles. And it's actually a pretty damn good offer.

BMW, if you buy an i3 from them, will GIVE you a free loaner car if you need to go on a long distance trip that exceeds the range of their electric vehicle. For them, that's only 80 miles. But that's still a pretty good offer. First off, there's no cost to it. You don't have to leave your car at the dealer if you don't want to. Just get a ride to the dealer to pick up the free loaner car. Second, you can rack up travel miles on someone else's car. if you're taking a 2,000 mile round trip, would be nice to not rack up those miles on your own car, de-valuing your own car. At Tesla's rates of $1.00 depreciation per mile, that trip would cost you $2,000 in value on your car.

Of course if such a car has a 250-300 mile range, you wouldn't be forced to do this if you didn't want to. You could still take your car if you so chose. But having BMW or in this case if this car every did come to pass as an electric vehicle, give you the OPTION of picking up a loaner car is a pretty nice option to have. Lets face it, travelling in a Tesla ABSOLUTELY takes longer than travelling in an ICE. If you had a trip where you couldn't afford to sacrifice the charging time needed, at least with BMW or in this case, GM as proposed, you would have the option of swapping out for another car and taking your trip much quicker, again, while saving the mileage on your own car.

With the Chademo chargers popping up all over the place and having charge rates not all that far off of what Supercharger rates are, travelling in any EV is going to be "reasonable" in the very near future. So IF GM were to produce this car or any other car as an EV with 250+ miles of range, in another year or two, the Chademo network will likely be built up enough by then to make long distance travel possible, even without a specific manufacturer providing it's own Supercharger network. Additionally, the advantage to having such a network and driving a GM or any other large manufacturer's vehicle, you'd likely always have the option to stop off at any dealer for a free charge too and not be limited only to the locations of Superchargers.

As the population of EV cars on the road grows past the current 1% and into the 20%+ range, I think most manufacturers will get together on a charging network that will be nationwide and available every few miles, not just every 150-200 miles. In addition to that, with that many EV's on the road, I think most current gas stations would start installing fast chargers as well. We're many years off of that happening, but someday, you'll be able to charge at any corner gas/charge station.

Anyway, the idea of at least having the option to swap out your car (or simply go pick up a loaner car while your car sits in your garage) is a good very good one that BMW already offers.

They have been engaging in 69s with Big Oil for too long, it would not make sense to do EV right.

Do you think Tesla would survive a fiasco like the ignition switch mass murders, or killing 3 brands, receiving
a bailout and lying about having paid it off (took another loan)?