Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I buy AP, can I still have standard cruise control mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I definitely could still have the standard cruise control if I like? As if I'd never bought AP?

I ask specifically because that's too much to pay for any kind of "no you can't" - anything. I expect to still have that option for whatever reason I like. I hate buyer's remorse, though I might still even buy it and FSD cause I know it'll get better, I love my model X, and I want to show my support Uncle Elon...

Thanks, all, for the answers.

Nope.

I understand the desire for it, but I wouldn't be too concerned with false positives with Adaptive cruise control only.

In terms of how a system is tuned it seems to be that AP is way more susceptible to false-positives than TACC. Now you might say they should be the same. But, I think with AP Tesla tries to do more than just TACC+LaneSteer. At least in my experience with AP1 it has been.

It makes sense because with TACC you generally want to keep it fairly simple. Now you'll still get an occasional false positive like sometimes it might get tricked by the car in the lane next to you in a corner. But, it's not a massive suddenly slow down. It's a lot more gentle and you have time to counter it.

In over 20K miles of highway driving under TACC I've only had maybe 2-3 incidences where of the "ugh, this is embarrassing" when the car did slow down for nothing.

I also believe the false positive issue with AP2 will get reduced because the Insurance institute did their study which shows that it needs some improvements. Generally Tesla is pretty reactive to that kind of stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
No you can’t, and frankly I have no idea why you would want to.
My radar failed/went out of alignment. I had no cruise (or autopilot, understandably) while I waited for my service appointment.

There's no legitimate reason that the car can't default to old-fashioned 70's era cruise control if the radar goes wonky.

If liability is a big concern, pop up a warning dialog on the center console and make me click "I agree I am too stupid to breed if I forget the traffic-aware feature is deactivated and hit someone." I'm a big boy; I can handle it. I've been driving cars with boring old regular cruise for decades and never rear-ended anyone.

My radar failed/went out of alignment. I had no cruise (or autopilot, understandably) while I waited for my service appointment.

There's no legitimate reason that the car can't default to old-fashioned 70's era cruise control if the radar goes wonky.

If liability is a big concern, pop up a warning dialog on the center console and make me click "I agree I am too stupid to breed if I forget the traffic-aware feature is deactivated and hit someone." I'm a big boy; I can handle it. I've been driving cars with boring old regular cruise for decades and never rear-ended anyone.

I really don't get why they won't just allow the TACC system to be turned on/off via the settings menu. So basically if both TACC/AP were disabled want then you could use standard cruise control.

Now sure this would cause a bit of a headache for people to go from standard cruise control to TACC as they'd have to drill down into a mini to enable the feature itself. I don't think there are that many people who want to easily go between the two.

Having it difficult increases the safety so people don't get confused about which one is enabled.

Having this setting switch would be useful for people who has EAP on their car, but didn't want to use it for some reason. Like a second driver, or in situations where the radar failed like you brought up,.

Reactions: UncaNed