Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If I buy M3 now, will I regret it come Battery Day in Sept?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have decided to wait until after Battery Day to order. I am working from home and not driving much right now, so there is not really much downside to waiting to buy for me. Elon has stated that this could be one of the most exciting days in Tesla history and that there are big announcements comings, so I see the chance for a big upside to waiting. I don't know what the improvements will be and when they will be implemented but I do expect them to be rather major and already in production to some extent. I also don't think they can say that they are going to have this great new battery that will last multiple times as long and have a higher energy density coming out in a year and expect to sell record numbers of cars before its release. Maybe that means it will be an option that cost extra or maybe it will only be for the S and X. Who knows. What you really need to decide is if you need the car in the next two months. If you don't need the car, why not wait and see? If you do need it, then buy it for the great car that it is right now and move on.

Reactions: RScottyL
Reminds me of the old days of computers. Where every year or two a major CPU/software update would obsolete current tech. Then everything got so fast, went to the cloud, and it didn't matter much anymore. Electric cars won't change quite that fast, but I hope for the day when range & battery life just aren't thought about much. I'm happy to drive my Model 3 if it makes that day sooner (electrified transportation).

My guess is any improvement in battery tech will make its way into the S and X first. Those are the high end models and need any extra range associated with new batteries. Then the new tech will trickle down to the 3 and Y. It will probably take 2-3 years before this happens. There have been some guesses that Elon will announce a new, smaller, cheaper model with the new tech, so who knows.

My guess is any improvement in battery tech will make its way into the S and X first. Those are the high end models and need any extra range associated with new batteries. Then the new tech will trickle down to the 3 and Y. It will probably take 2-3 years before this happens. There have been some guesses that Elon will announce a new, smaller, cheaper model with the new tech, so who knows.
Agree, any new tech should be applied to upmarket models first, and they need it. I wonder if the impact could trickle down to 3/Y prices.

In terms of value, it rarely hurts to delay a new car purchase. Tesla has proven you’ll be able to get today’s technology at a lower price once it becomes yesterday’s tech. At a high enough initial premium they combat the Osborne effect. Today’s M3P cost a significant amount more when novel.

I’m hoping today’s S is lowered a bit if they announce production time frames for the plaid drivetrain (a major refresh too?). Next gen S/X should be notably more than current gen S/X anyways, but perhaps it’ll just be due to an adder on today’s prices