Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If installing 2 L2 40amp chargers(14-50), can you share the same wiring(4/3) coming from a 60 amp breaker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe you can wire them both to a single line. The question is how much total current draw there is. Tesla allows a max amount of amperage to be shared amongst multiple chargers. So, depending on your jurisdiction and it's particular rules, you might be able to set it so that the two of them together never draw more than 50 amps. That way you could go off of 1 60 amp breaker. Obviously it would work physically. But the question is legality. I suppose each municipality might have slightly different rules, so, we're back where you started. You are probably going to have to ask an electrician!

Actually maybe the best group to ask is your insurance company. They're the ones that would have to pay out if the thing fried your house!

The short answer is "no, each outlet requires its own wiring and its own breaker".
I don't think that's the case: multiple receptacles on 240V circuit

Just as you can put multiple 5-15 or 5-20 outlets on a 120V/15A or 120V/20A breaker (although obviously not the latter outlet type on the former type of breaker, ever), you can do the same thing with 240V outlets. But it does seem like a bad idea because someone could assume that the outlets are fed via their own breaker and connect two EVSEs that do not power share to them in the future, and overload the circuit.

But what the OP seems to be trying to do (connecting 2 40A non power shared EVSEs to two separate outlets on the same branch circuit) would never be permitted. You're never allowed to connect more continuous load to a circuit than 80% of the capacity of the circuit.

Last edited:
The 2023 NEC allows power sharing of multiple EVSE on a single branch circuit. Whether your local jurisdiction is still using an older edition needs to be answered locally.

For future proofing, use the Tesla TWC since it has power sharing, and put in the biggest branch circuit you can manage. By the time you want a second EVSE your local code will hopefully be 2023 NEC compliant.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
NEC 210.23 says one outlet per breaker at the levels you are asking about
Doesn't the "fastened in place" requirement only apply in living spaces? Garages aren't considered living spaces.
, or perhaps more definitively:

625.40 Electric Vehicle Branch Circuit.

Each outlet installed for the purpose of charging electric vehicles shall be supplied by an individual branch circuit. Each circuit shall have no other outlets.
LOL, we're back to this part of the NEC again. NEC requires GFCI breakers on outlets "installed for the purpose of charging EVs" but does not ban outlets that were installed for other purposes from later being used to charge EVs without meeting 625.40. So you could have easily installed the outlets for something else and then changed your mind as far as what you wanted to use them for.

The install instructions are clear that they want each wall connector in a power sharing group to have it's own branch circuit. This can be done in a subpanel, or small load center if you like, but they both need their own breaker.

The Gen2 instructions used to allow them to be put on one circuit, which adds to confusion here.
Screenshot_20230129_113730_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and GSP
I understand if you run both chargers at 40 amp, it'll overload the breaker. But if you just run 24amp for each charger, that should be fine from a load standpoint?

Romors has it that Sienna will come out with a plug in variant in 24. We'll probably get that and charge that with a L2 40amp. And For my MY, I will probably use the mobile connector.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
I understand if you run both chargers at 40 amp, it'll overload the breaker. But if you just run 24amp for each charger, that should be fine from a load standpoint?
People normalize electricity because they "just plug it in and it works" and forget about the fact that if its not done properly, you can literally burn your house down. Since most charging is done at night, and EV charging is the single biggest continuous load a home is likely to have, its not the time to be messing around with "it should, if we just".

Dont plan on power sharing 2 charging EVs though a 14-50 outlet. If you want to do power sharing, get wall connectors that are setup for that purpose. The simplest way I am aware of to do that is to get an evse with 2 charging wands in it. Run one connection, wire in the EVSE and it can share the loads automatically (and code compliant).

Something like this:

Screen Shot 2023-01-29 at 11.56.50 AM.png

People normalize electricity because they "just plug it in and it works" and forget about the fact that if its not done properly, you can literally burn your house down. Since most charging is done at night, and EV charging is the single biggest continuous load a home is likely to have, its not the time to be messing around with "it should, if we just".

Dont plan on power sharing 2 charging EVs though a 14-50 outlet. If you want to do power sharing, get wall connectors that are setup for that purpose. The simplest way I am aware of to do that is to get an evse with 2 charging wands in it. Run one connection, wire in the EVSE and it can share the loads automatically (and code compliant).

Something like this:

View attachment 901071
I like this idea! I already bought a Maxi charger but $300 more get you two ports!! The renewed charger tax credit will probably help with this decision!

I like this idea! I already bought a Maxi charger but $300 more get you two ports!! The renewed charger tax credit will probably help with this decision!
Where's the outlet? I believe you can get a tax credit of up to $1000 for EV charging equipment and installation so if you need another outlet on its own circuit, you can just pay an electrician to do it and get credit for it. The EV Charger Federal Tax Credit is Back

Yes, after tax credit the extra EVSE cable is about $200.
But here you get what you pay for: The Grizzl-e is power sharing 40 Amps. If that is all your branch circuit is rated for, it makes good sense.

Do figure though that the Grizzl-e is a J1772. You give up some Tesla convenience

But here you get what you pay for: The Grizzl-e is power sharing 40 Amps. If that is all your branch circuit is rated for, it makes good sense.

Do figure though that the Grizzl-e is a J1772. You give up some Tesla convenience
How so? Your mean constantly unplugging the adapter? I plan on leaving it on permanently and get an extra one to carry in the car. My MY it's being picked up next Fri.

How so? Your mean constantly unplugging the adapter? I plan on leaving it on permanently and get an extra one to carry in the car. My MY it's being picked up next Fri.
On some EVSEs you can do this, and on others, it's more difficult. My ChargePoint Home (which I use to charge my PHEV) has a dock for the charging handle on the unit itself. The handle will not latch to the dock with the J1772 adapter on the end.

• Informative

I don't need to charge super fast. 100 miles per night a enough for my commute. My wife's future plug in obviously has shorter EV range. And 40 miles would be enough for her.

In the garage. Does this matter for the tax credit?
I mean, where's the outlet in relation to the vehicles in your garage? If you have two stalls and it's all the way on one side of the garage (such that you'd have to pull the cable across the path of another vehicle to reach the vehicle in the second stall), then it might not be so convenient to get the 2 connector EVSE. It's probably better to just install another outlet on its own circuit and get an entirely separate EVSE for the second outlet. You may be able to get yet another tax credit for that as long as you do it in a different year than you did the first one (would have to check tax law on that to be sure though).

probably a dumb question and I'm obviously not an electrician nor am I doing this work myself. But just trying to understand and see what I can do to future proof. Thanks!

So the way you can do this is to terminate the power from the breaker box at a sub-panel in your garage. This is then considered a feeder circuit and a standard 60-amp breaker can be used. You will be better off running a 100-amp circuit, if you can. Now you can run multiple branch circuits from the sub-panel.

You can then run two, or more, 40-amps circuits (or 50A or 60A), each to a separate L2 charger (BTW these are called connectors not chargers). If these happen to be Tesla Wall Connectors, they have power sharing built in and will manage the load for you.

You can also run a line to a 14-50 outlet using either a 40-amp or 50-amp GFCI breaker. If you setup a 40-amp circuit you will need to label the outlet as 40-amps. If you go the 14-50 route do not use the cheap ($15) Leviton outlet. You need a Bryant or Hubble outlet ($80).