Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If you fast charge, Tesla will permanently throttle charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...The LR RWD model 3 is a road tripping beast. When we've gone on trips, it's usually ready to go before I can finish going to the bathroom, drinking some water, and eating a quick snack.
I've often seen LR 3s come and go while I am charging!

So, when will we see the LR 3 start to get throttled? Soon? Not for some years? Never? Place your bets!

RE: model 3, this is a recent post from a high mileage Model 3 owner:

"And for those interested in the longevity of the Model 3, our car originally started with 303 miles of range (never did get the full 10) and now charges to around 278 miles at 100%. That's reported data from the Stats app - I haven't actually charged it to a true 100% in a while, although it's been close. 74,000 miles in two years with at least 50,000 of those miles being powered by Superchargers due to extensive road trips. The charge rate has remained the same and it still gets 250 kW under 25% and 75 kW at around 70-75%. Degradation at this point is around 9%, which doesn't seem unreasonable."

Original post: Superchargers Visited

RE: model 3, this is a recent post from a high mileage Model 3 owner:

"And for those interested in the longevity of the Model 3, our car originally started with 303 miles of range (never did get the full 10) and now charges to around 278 miles at 100%. That's reported data from the Stats app - I haven't actually charged it to a true 100% in a while, although it's been close. 74,000 miles in two years with at least 50,000 of those miles being powered by Superchargers due to extensive road trips. The charge rate has remained the same and it still gets 250 kW under 25% and 75 kW at around 70-75%. Degradation at this point is around 9%, which doesn't seem unreasonable."

Original post: Superchargers Visited
Your degradation is somewhat concerning, but then again I’m still sitting at 300-301 at nearly 32K with 2/5 of those miles having used DCFC.

Do we have any confirmed cases of a Model 3 being throttled?
Yes there are documented cases in M3s in Germany which had the Teslalogger recordings of previous charging sessions.
Their charging stop durations is due to that reduction about 5-8 minutes longer per charging stop.
No reaction from tesla, due to their firsts thoughts that something
might be broken inside their cars .. they had called their SeCs.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Here in Perth Western Australia we only have one supercharger with six stations I think and it is 165klms away from me so the ONLY chance I get to use it is on trips to the south west of the state, in the last year I used it twice, rest of the time is at home.
I have noticed a few more 3's on the road around Perth and looking forward to hearing network expansion plans, I think this time next year that one SC will be over run, can't even get to Albany on south coast without using RAC generic charge stations and paying close to petrol price, Tesla has extended the expiry date of my supercharger use to 2023 not much use if I can't get to one.
I have only done retirement miles lol 8k in the year so have no useful info on degradation.

• Informative
30K miles on our 2018. About 40% supercharging due to our long trips. those are charged at 100%. The rest is charged at home at level 2 80% with an occasional 100% charge as a precursor to a long trip. Sometimes we charge when at 50% but occasionally at 10%.

No notice of either battery capacity nor supercharge power degradation.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
30K miles on our 2018. About 40% supercharging due to our long trips. those are charged at 100%. The rest is charged at home at level 2 80% with an occasional 100% charge as a precursor to a long trip. Sometimes we charge when at 50% but occasionally at 10%.

No notice of either battery capacity nor supercharge power degradation.
Nor should it be expected. You've only supercharged for ~12k miles.

I'm just about to hit 45,000 miles. I Supercharge 95% of the time and to 100% SOC all the time. I've never felt Tesla intentionally throttle me. In fact, I just hit 250kv at an SC yesterday.
Would be useful to know what car you are driving. I guess we can assume it's a Model 3 with that charge rate and mileage. If so, this isn't unusual as there's no evidence of Model 3s getting throttled yet.

• Informative