Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If You're Reserving -what car are you coming from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2011 Hyundai Sonata Turbo. I once was a climate skeptic (not a full-blown denier) but now the signs are too obvious to ignore. Secondly, I want to totally emasculate OPEC and the petro-states' power over the U.S. and world economy. I know it's not going to be an overnight process, but it's starting to happen already. Anything I can do to make the U.S. a leader in technological and green-tech innovation, I'm for. Plus, Tesla is just plain freakin' cool.

We should we share with a new member who doesn't share?

Yes your right I forgot to share my information
I'm coming form my second i Miev (2014), we put on a lot of miles and have been waiting for the second generation EVs ,
We much prefer smaller cars and the The M3 's , range , size & timing sounds perfect for us

Currently driving a leased 2013 Leaf that I need to return in March 2017. I will probably need to get a used car to make it until Model 3 delivery or may need to resort to public transportation or barrow a car from relatives.

Any suggestions from folks in the forum for my situation?

08 Toyota Corolla with 120k on it. Previous life was as a rental before I bought it used. Between that and the harsh Colorado conditions, it's starting to show some major wear (bad hail damage, torn up interior trim, recently discovered the begining of body rust). While it's about as perfect as you can get mechanically, I figure by the time I get a 3 in late 2018/19, it will be time to move on.

We have a Honda Fit and a Prius (v)agon.

I'll reserve next week, and by the time my number comes up I'll buy an EV if PV is available. This is an IF because I currently rent, so either I'll be in the same place and my landlord will agree to a PV arrangement, I'll build my own home with PV, or I'll stay put without PV and without an EV.

Don't own a car yet. Workplace, grocery, movie theater all within 15 min of biking distance and no children yet. Zipcar/Uber covers need to go further within a day and rental covers longer distance. A lot cheaper than owning a car while satisfying all my needs. But life is expected to change quite a bit in two years so Model 3 just in time.

09 Accord Coupe. Hope it remains problem free until the 3 is a reality. My fear is getting in some accident (god forbid, and assuming obviously everyone is fine), but the car being totaled before the 3 is out as the value goes down in the next 2 years. Not sure what I'd do in that scenario.

2001 Nissan Sentra.
Amateur. Currently bombing around in a 1998 Camry with 160k miles. Not actually that much, but I am so done with this car.

Nice dent in the rear bumper courtesy of the streets of Hartford and a 6" rear fender relocation thanks to a monster blowout on the highway. Funny story about that actually: I noticed an egg on one of my tires, so I put the spare on and was on my way to get new tires when a different tire blew out. Had to put the egged tire back on and literally hobbled to the nearest shop. Whole car was rocking side-to-side from the imbalanced spare and misshapen tire, both on the same side of the car.

Currently have an obnoxious exhaust leak I'm debating not fixing since it really isn't affecting performance of the car. Might get under there and slap a beer can on there if I get the time. Gives it a nice throaty growl that will undoubtedly be very strange to see vanish entirely with a Tesla! Recently did a partial engine reseal (and timing belt) due to leaking oil. I cannot tell you how excited I am to be completely rid of oil! This thing burns that *sugar* like crazy when it's not leaking - at least a quart once a month. I guess that means oil changes are less important since it changes itself? :)

Pretty sure I have a serious power steering leak, although I'm not losing fluid. Sometimes shakes and is hard to turn when it's cold. Usually gets better once the car warms up. I think I can ride that repair out.

Starter is toast because apparently that's a common problem in Gen4 Camrys. So that means I'm out there a few times a year banging on the starter with my handy dandy "starter starter" - a block of wood. $100 part and easy replacement. I should really do this, but if all it takes is some TLC to get the engine going, I may as well save the money and put it toward 1/10 of painting my Model 3 a pretty color. :cool:

I may have a coolant issue. This is new. The cold reservoir is empty all the time, but the car isn't overheating. That's also assuming the temperature sensor isn't malfunctioning!

And this isn't even counting all the money I've sunk into it over the past few years!

Ideally, I'd like to simply drive this thing into the ground. Engine/transmission is still okay, which means I've got quite a few more miles, but everything else is breaking down around it and I'm putting in the bare minimum to keep it running. Forecast is good though. I got a good feeling that I can make this bad boy last a few more years and will be able to sell it to the shop for parts. Nobody's gonna want to buy this mess.

A new car means inherently fewer problems, and an EV means even fewer maintenance issues, and I am so ready for that. I might not be as thrilled with the growing pains of a brand new vehicle, but I am prepared to deal with that because it's going to be a goddamn Tesla!

My worst fear is if the Model 3 is a bust for some reason. I don't know what I would do. I'm 100% sold on EVs and have no other choice... at least nothing I would want to drive.

Wife has a 2011 Forester and I have a 2012 For Flex. The Flex is my daily commuter (~15 miles per day), family car and road trips to Chicago with the kids. The Forester is my wife's daily commuter (~30 miles per day). I am trying to convince her that a Leaf will be great for her and a Model 3 will be great for me. We can rent a mini van for the handful of road trips we plan that don't have charging along the way. At this point I have no idea what car the Model 3 will replace.

I'm planning on a M3 replacing our 2009 Infiniti G37 sedan.
We just replaced a 2002 Toyota Highlander (160k miles) with a Volvo XC90 T8, so the family hauler is finally upgraded. The M3 will be the commute/fun car (although the Volvo is surprisingly quick and nimble, for a 3-row CUV).

I will be coming from the 2014 Volt in my sig. Drive 80 miles round trip to work every day with zero work charging, so no other EV fit the bill for that. (That doesnt cost me the same amount as my first mortgage that is)

Still keeping an eye on the Bolt, but if the Model 3 is a good looking car (read: not a hatchback style), then I will be all in.