Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm a Production, and here's my story (Sublimaze1 - P188)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Episode 6

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358603593.042731.jpg

It has been 6 weeks now since I have taken possession of BadA**. I only have one regret: I wish I could quit work to drive more.

So one bank draft has occurred (I had to finance part of the car - that's just the way life goes) and it has been the largest draft I have ever paid for a car in my life ... however, it was painless. Why? I find that the benefits and enjoyability of this car are matched by very few, and only a good Siglo VI on a cool fall day paired with a good Belgian (Trappistes or Stella) or perhaps a perfect filet with a bottle of Opus One would prove a difficult decision (had I to choose).

I have made a conscious declaration to drive this vehicle, and not to pamper it. I had to make that choice based on a few of my interpersonal flaws: When I had the old red Italian mistress, I was worried sick about nicks and dings and would have anxiety mount at odd times - not only while driving. With my Ford pickup, I would not mind if I hit an Armadillo (anything bigger tends to do a bit more damage, and the Armadillo is really a neat animal when struck as it jumps about three feet straight up and then ...)

Sorry.

Anyhow, I drive her with passion, and care free - not wreckless, and not like I rent her, but with the understanding that I should be able to run to the mall (teenager door ding city) or grocery store (shopping cart mayhem) or wherever and enjoy the car for what it was made - use. I run it through the car wash. I drink my coffee in it. No cigars, but I only do that with a work truck anyhow. Her kids can eat (but no yogurt or the like, and only water to drink) and my kids can drive it. I know there has been issue on this forum with teens driving the S, and suffice it to say, it's my bloody car, so I make the rules.

To chase a rabbit here for a second, and I am fairly serious about this one: Tesla (and I hope management is reading) is very cautious and tight lipped about what information they dissmeinate. We all know this. There have been two occasions where I have posted information that was given to me in a less than official way, and both times it has caused a bit of strife on the part of the source of the information. Tesla, please know I tortured these people to give me this information, and it was not their fault. In fact, I feel they felt that they were helping me as a customer rather than "leaking" to the public. As such, my posts on this forum from this point on will be about me, BadA**, armadillos and the occasional beer, cigar, or wine reference. I send a forum-posted apology to those two individuals affected.

So driving her with passion, and treating her like a vehicle, rather than a garage queen means she goes through the robo-wash, totes around kids, would tote around Cooper (the Golden) if he didn't have certain bowel problems that I cannot overlook, and hauls horse tack, etc.

I would have liked to include some pictures of her after a Calgon bath (I got a full detail done Friday) - but my lazy part of my double helical strand kicked in and I failed that. Maybe later this week. As far as detail, the job was amazing, and I will pass on the information of the mobile detail rep to any Dallas area people who care to check into it). As I was part of the Texas we-don't-get-a-DS delivery, George B wanted Tesla to "finish the job" and get some of the paint swirls out of the finish, so they sent someone out to "make it right". I think Tesla in another language must mean "make it right"

WJ

Last edited:
I believe it is the combination of the sheer weight of the battery pack, its low center of gravity, a fairly effective rear diffuser, and the minuscule coefficient of drag that lends to its inherent stability at 124 mph. The above statement is should not be interpreted as an admission of guilt of subverting state laws.

accompanied by Deadmau5 featuring Chris James - The Veldt (somewhat appropriate, if you can figure out why)

<Lurk Mode Off>

So I did a little experimentation today.

We (wife, et al) have decided to travel from our house (McKinney) to her sister’s house (League City) which is a total, round trip distance of 303.2 miles. This is, for all intents and purposes at the verge of the edge of the cusp of the distance BadA** wants to make on one cupful of electrons. We plan this on June 28[SUP]th[/SUP], too early for the assumption of a SuperCharger along the way.

Knowing full well that traffic on I45 (for that stretch just north of Buffalo to just about Huntsville) is 82mph, driving 55 would be deadly. So I decided to check the stats and see what I could do.

As you can see from my trip display(s), I am generally eating 340-343 =Wh/mi during my daily driving adventure life. Taking the trip this am (5:45-6:20am) down the North Dallas Tollway, I was able to trim some of the fat from this figure. I set the cabin temp to 72 degrees, turned regen brake to low, and used Cruise at 62mph. On the way back (at 3:45) I did the same, but increased my cruise control to 75mph. As one can glean from the numbers, I was munching a lean 285 Wh/mi.

Enter the abacus.

If I can keep my consumption below 280 Wh/mi, a full range charge (theoretically) would get me there. However, enter a rainstorm, headwind, too much luggage, or defensive energy depleting driving maneuvers, plus the fact that this means little or no air conditioning and a 60-62 mph pace in I45, I have ruled this out.

Thanks to andystj, I have conceded to a dinner stop at Home on the Range RV park, where a 50amp NEMA should get me an additional 30 miles while we dine on fine cuisine. Conservatively moving this figure down to 25 miles, I calculated that I can make the same trip plans (now that I have the stop) at 305-308 Wh/mi, which puts me at 72-74 mph on I45 – similar to semi trucks in the right lane, which is – above all – safe for the travelers who reside in my responsibilty.

Enter the wildcard(s).

South of Conroe (as a few of you know) begins the stop-and-go, which continues on through to Webster. This bodes well in my favor by giving me a slower speed, and a lower Wh/mi consumption. I do have three favored and a dozen non-favored J1772 stops north of League City (South Houston, Webster, etc) should I get in a pinch. If I do have rain or a headwind, it will certainly be reflected in my Wh/mi display and I can change pit strategy on the fly, whether that mean dessert a-la-RV, or a second stop.

The way I see it, I can drive whatever style I feel like, provided that style keeps me below 305Wh/mi. Once I am above that, I am not going to have the cards in my favor, whatever the plan. I certainly am going to try the 110V-to-max-range trick the night before, and I will not be carrying any anvils, concrete, lead, or plate iron. I fully expect to be gliding into my sister-in-law’s driveway in the single digit range area, something I have only done twice, and was a hair raising experience – being that it was not planned.

On the way back, we go to Highland Park (30 miles short of our destination), grocery shop (our routine Sunday night food replenishment function) at a locale with a J1772, and make it the rest of the way home.

<Lurk Mode On>

Attachments

• IMAGE_5848BFC5-9E3B-4E76-8505-31CBD27F63B8.JPG
    IMAGE_5848BFC5-9E3B-4E76-8505-31CBD27F63B8.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 562
Holy HARROWING!

Well, I am sitting in League City and we made it.

Logistically, we made it from McKinney to The Woodlands and stopped at a blink to scarf trons while eating at Tommy Bahamas. This is where it gets interesting.

Whilst dining, I pull napkin out and crunch numbers. I have gone 249.8mi, used 73.0kWh, and am averaging 292wh/mi. I am pleased. I know I bolsted a full trip/range charge right before we left, and even did the wive's tale "110V last 30 miles of charge" technique - so I know I brought with me, 85kWh.

On the napkin, I scribble that I have 12kW in the "tank", and at about 3miles per kW, I have 36 miles left. I need 55. So I charge at the blink, with 18mi/hr on the screen for 1hr 45 minutes (we shopped) putting me at a generous 60+ miles range. I even drove 55 on I45 through Houston - not too difficult because traffic is always so lovely.

Ideal range and Rated range are discordant, and my ideal range is starting to show about 7 miles short. However, I am a factual person, have done my math, and numbers do not lie. I press on. I get the dotted yellow bar at 320 I press on. I get the warning about low battery. I press on. I have, long ago, gone from yellow to red. I have, four miles ago (I have not even reached Webster) went to 0 on the range. I get the pop=up about the battery being low again. About 9 miles short of my destination, BadA** decides to shut off the A/C. At least the warning pop up told me that this is what she was doing. Windows down, We are on the access road. Dotted line moves to 160. I am now surmising that the ideal range is an interpolated range, that the rated range is a governmental thing, and neither the government nor interpolation hold a candle to my pure factual math on a napkin in a restaurant.

I pull into my sisters garage, having driven 18+ miles on zero range, and have decided (for now) that it is not the range that is scary anyore, but rather the combination of the dotted line and the A/C preservation "Dave, I'm sorry - I can't do that" announcement .... that warns of impending doom.

I am now scarfing their dryer plug. I will leave a $10 on the kitchen table.

The following techniques were employed:

Tire pressure to forum suggested numbers.

Regen to low setting.

Accel (standing) < 40kw
Accel (rolling) <25kw
Driving (on cruise)

55-67 mph.

A/C to 69, fan at 8 (was 106-108 degrees)

All flotsam/jetsam removed from Frunk.

Wives tale battery swelling at 110v for last 15 hours of charging.

Open to any others for way back.

I will have an 8-10 mph tailwind this time.

Think about "safe" drafting behind Semi trucks. Having them break the air in front of you will save quite a bit of energy (irregardless of speed). Of course they don't appreciate people hiding in their blind spots.

Too bad Tesla hasn't developed adaptive cruise control yet.