Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm obsessed with "Power Off".. does it make any difference?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>What % of general public would know or guess what to do with MS door handles anyway? And why not just a push button instead? Just a 1 inch round pushbutton like on the new soda dispensers.

Ok, my bad, the flush chrome handles are *more* of a mystery than a push button would be since instinctively one just naturally pushes on a button to see what might happen. So therefore any unlocked MS retains a degree of 'locked-ness', until common knowledge improves.
--

I picked up my car from service center for something minor and asked them about this. Assuming this is accurate, they confirmed that all hitting 'power off' does is out the car to sleep 15 min early. If you have sleep mode enabled essentially there is no difference so probably not worth worrying about unless you simply want to save the minimal power over those 15 min or simply want to.

I'll check next time I'm in my car but in settings there is a switch for Energy Saving mode or something similar. This powers off the car after about 15 min. It takes slightly longer for the car to wake up when you unlock the doors but only a few seconds. It also takes the mobile app a little longer to connect but this cuts down on the Vampire drain from the car being on all the time.

My car is working correctly. It's just my mind that needs help. ;)

The whole car takes getting used to from hopping into the car without a physical key to sitting down and turning it on with pushing the break to a lot else. Walking away without doing anything and trusting auto lock to actually lock the car (I have that turned on) took awhile but now I don't even think about it. Everyone is different on what features they want enabled but you'll find quickly what works for you.

On the topic of locking and walking away, this is from the Owner's Manual.
It has me completely snowed.
Lock.JPG

I do not know is the car is ever locked unless I leave the key somewhere and come back to try it.
I will be using public charging soon and am concerned about the car's safety.
Thanks.

Love being spoiled with the walk away no worries you get with Tesla S

I love not having to do anything but walk up to my car and walk away. I have been spoiled now so when I drive our other car, which is keyless but you must push a start/stop button, I have forgotten to turn it off more than once.
I think you might be alone in your obsession to power off.