Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm renting a 75D for a crazy coast-to-coast -- little help, please.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a prospective owner and here we are in Corona-time with my son in LA and me in NJ.

NYTimes recent survey of 511 epidemiologists: 20% would fly this summer; I'm down with the 80%, hence the idea of renting the Tesla. The car is a 75D and just to get that information from Enterprise was a feat -- likely no sw/hw upgrades at all, so, yeah. Car is supposedly a '19 or '20.

1. Does this "base" model car have Adaptive Cruise Control? If it's only in an upgrade, I'd think no but I'm used to it (in my Subaru!) and I really want to have that feature. Automatic Emergency Braking I would think would be "standard" as well but maybe not?

2. I'm told that I should be able somehow to get iOS app access, not just use key fob but as noted, Enterprise is clueless. What should I ask for/talk about with them in order to figure out what is necessary? It's supposedly now easy, at least from Tesla perspective. I may already have a Tesla account as I did an official test drive earlier this year, in case relevant.

3. I really want to get as much of a combination of range/safety (avoiding stranding) as possible -- thoughts about charging and any other advice for this noob?! I have set up an ABRP account and am wondering why it has me doing so many partial charges?

4. Is so-called Camping Mode a built in feature or also upgrade related? Has anyone used it to keep A/C on overnight?

So many thanks for your help and any advice you think would be helpful -- I wish you all well!

David

1 - that is really hard to say. AP which included adaptive cruise became standard at some point in 2019. The 75D I believe was not sold in 2020 so the car is likely a 19 (or 18 I guess). I am not a great historian on all these things but that is my recollection.

I just looked it up. 75D cancelled in Jan 2020 so I was close. April 2019 AP became standard. So you would roughly have a 75% chance of having AP. Except - Enterprise would be not likely to want to have AP. It is possible that they worked with Tesla to remove it even if the car was purchased after April.

All cars (75D) have AEB.

2 -Good luck getting iOS access. Tesla has become famous for not answering phones. On a rental car, App access is a liability as you could keep it after turning in the car and track the next renter. They are not in the business of enabling and disabling rental car access.

3 - You just supercharge. Not sure how that is billed and that would be a big problem. It would probably get billed to Enterprise and you would pay it later. If they have no idea (which seems likely), then you might get free charging. Or you might get a bill 6 months later with fees. This would be similar to Toll cards - so Enterprise should have a system.

But if you can't get answers, this is a problem. You might not be able to supercharge. I would ask for a 1 day rental and check and come up with plan B if you can't.

Camping is on all cars. Yes - you can keep a/c on overnight.

I can’t see how you’d get app access without being the owner. I might check about renting from Turo as the owner could add you and delete you when done. And you could rent a 100D, more range for a long trip. Would cost more but perhaps a discount for a long trip?

1 - that is really hard to say. AP which included adaptive cruise became standard at some point in 2019. The 75D I believe was not sold in 2020 so the car is likely a 19 (or 18 I guess). I am not a great historian on all these things but that is my recollection.

First, thanks for considered reply! Issue is lack of information prior to pickup; we'll see.

I just looked it up. 75D cancelled in Jan 2020 so I was close. April 2019 AP became standard. So you would roughly have a 75% chance of having AP. Except - Enterprise would be not likely to want to have AP. It is possible that they worked with Tesla to remove it even if the car was purchased after April.

Why would Enterprise care? $? Anyway, it is what ever it will be.

All cars (75D) have AEB.

Good.

2 -Good luck getting iOS access. Tesla has become famous for not answering phones. On a rental car, App access is a liability as you could keep it after turning in the car and track the next renter. They are not in the business of enabling and disabling rental car access.

Seems crazy to me that they couldn't just time it or wipe the access but my ignorance is profound. Any phone numbers you've had better luck with?

3 - You just supercharge. Not sure how that is billed and that would be a big problem. It would probably get billed to Enterprise and you would pay it later. If they have no idea (which seems likely), then you might get free charging. Or you might get a bill 6 months later with fees. This would be similar to Toll cards - so Enterprise should have a system.

Gotta figure out how it is paid, prior to pickup. Still don't get the A Better Route Planner partial Supercharges. I guess there may be reasons opaque to me to do partial charging on a road trip.

But if you can't get answers, this is a problem. You might not be able to supercharge. I would ask for a 1 day rental and check and come up with plan B if you can't.

There's a dealer near me, will start there.

Again, THANKS!

Camping is on all cars. Yes - you can keep a/c on overnight.

2. I'm told that I should be able somehow to get iOS app access, not just use key fob but as noted, Enterprise is clueless. What should I ask for/talk about with them in order to figure out what is necessary? It's supposedly now easy, at least from Tesla perspective. I may already have a Tesla account as I did an official test drive earlier this year, in case relevant.

Tesla wouldn't be involved in giving you access. Enterprise could add/remove your Tesla account to the car, but I doubt they will do that.

3. I really want to get as much of a combination of range/safety (avoiding stranding) as possible -- thoughts about charging and any other advice for this noob?! I have set up an ABRP account and am wondering why it has me doing so many partial charges?

The lower your state of charge the faster it charges, so doing many shorter charges is faster than doing fewer full charges.

All of the enterprise 75Ds I have driven have had all assist features disabled, including adaptive cruise. Honestly, that would be a deal killer for me on a cross country trip.

You won’t get app access, but having a key fob should be fine, just note the charging times on the screen before you walk away from the car. I would also verify it can supercharge before leaving the local area. If Enterprise is too inept with Teslas, they may have a balance on the car account from a previous renter and Tesla will disable supercharging.

Make sure the car has the charging cable and the J1772 adapter before you leave. That will allow you to book hotels with EV charging (not necessarily Tesla chargers) and charge your car on overnight stops. You won’t be able to use any 3rd party DC fast chargers, so don’t plan around those.

Turo might be a better option.

Tesla is artificially capping supercharging speeds on older vehicles. What used to take 30-45 minutes to charge up can now take hours (plural).

It really adds up on long distance trips.

As far as I can see there's zero evidence of this happening to 75kwh batteries, so there's zero reason to mention this to someone looking to rent a 75D.

Nerfed cars have reduced range so you have to charge more often too.

Although Tesla recently top-and-tailed the capacity on some older vehicles, the major issue with nerfed cars is the reduction in Supercharging speed, not the capacity.

The top-and-tail is really only an issue if you need to bridge a large gap. because the fastest strategy for long-distance travel is more frequent partial charges.

Reactions: Chaserr
he fastest strategy for long-distance travel is more frequent partial charges.
That really isn't possible any more with the changes to chargin that made it difficult to use for more than city car distances. They shrunk capacity, deepened the taper and capped the top charge speed so while it used to be fastest to stop and charge for 20 minutes more often, as of now a 20 minute charge will only add a few miles. There isn't a "Sweet spot" to charge fast and get maximum drive time any more, the battery shrunk too small and charging is too slow.
As far as I can see there's zero evidence of this happening to 75kwh batteries, so there's zero reason to mention this to someone looking to rent a 75D.
The Batterygate thread is full of evidence, and batterygate is why Tesla removed the 60D->75D unlock

It's not difficult to see for yourself - plug in and try to charge at a Supercharger. 75D s aren't as old and are still limited by the same hidden fire prevention measures. They aren't as old as the worst impacted cas yet, so 75 owners can expect even worse downgrades in the future.

I really don't recommend long range driving in a Tesla. Even if you start a trip with a fully functional car, there is no way to know if it will be intentionally crippled by Tesla in the middle of your voyage.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
and batterygate is why Tesla removed the 60D->75D unlock
Objection, speculative. You are, as usual, claiming things as undisputed fact despite any actual evidence.

It's not difficult to see for yourself - plug in and try to charge at a Supercharger. 75D s aren't as old and are still limited by the same hidden fire prevention measures. They aren't as old as the worst impacted cas yet, so 75 owners can expect even worse downgrades in the future.

I "see for myself" at least once or twice a month - my 75 with 110,000 miles has a peak charging rate a full 30kw higher than when the car was new in 2016. Recent software updates are actively improving the supercharging speed of 75 batteries, not degrading it. Countless people report exactly the same.

I'd be very interested if you could provide some names of forum members with 75 batteries that claim to be affected. I've seen zero reports of 75 batteries exhibiting outward symptoms like extended cooling pump runs, range or supercharging reductions strongly correlated to software updates, documented <4.2v vMax, etc.

Last edited: