Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm starting to think the X still isn't ready...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what is founders edition ?

It's a special edition, mostly for major stock holders. As part of the Model S incentive program they are also giving away three Founder's Edition Model Xs to people who were first to ten referrals in each region. Most Founder's Editions are built first, then the Signature production run, which is still a premium vehicle, and finally the regular production run which is what you get with a Model S today.

It's a special edition, mostly for major stock holders. As part of the Model S incentive program they are also giving away three Founder's Edition Model Xs to people who were first to ten referrals in each region. Most Founder's Editions are built first, then the Signature production run, which is still a premium vehicle, and finally the regular production run which is what you get with a Model S today.

Anyone who refers 10 or more people has the option to buy a Founder's edition. The first to 10 in each region got it for free.

Remember Tesla has 25000+ orders for X already. May be above 30k as per Paul's tracking, we just don't know cancellation rates for sure.

50k per year is the current Model S production rate 3 years into building it, so, knowing we will only get the 1200 US sigs this year, Tesla saying new X orders will ship H2 2016 means they will build 25k in H1. That's equivalent to the current, mature Model S production rate. I would say that is a pretty ambitious goal.
Sadly, I think you're right. It seems supply constraints are the bottleneck and not manufacturing output. My lease on my current vehicle is up in March. I feel like by then, I'll have a pretty good idea of when I should expect to be able to get mine. If things have slipped and it's looking like 4th quarter 2016 or later, I'll just get an S and get an X after a few years. The only thing really compelling for me on the X is the windshield (one of the supply constrained parts) because I'm tall and I have to crane my neck a bit in the S to see traffic lights etc.

Sadly, I think you're right. It seems supply constraints are the bottleneck and not manufacturing output. My lease on my current vehicle is up in March. I feel like by then, I'll have a pretty good idea of when I should expect to be able to get mine. If things have slipped and it's looking like 4th quarter 2016 or later, I'll just get an S and get an X after a few years. The only thing really compelling for me on the X is the windshield (one of the supply constrained parts) because I'm tall and I have to crane my neck a bit in the S to see traffic lights etc.

My reservation number is right over 8000, and I've personally expected delivery around March (the two year anniversary of my MS delivery). However, as I see the slower ramp, I think it's going to be more like June.

Nice to see some progress! I would be happily surprised to see Nov deliveries of Sigs. Although the "with a grain of salt" comment from Tesla could mean anything. When dealing with Tesla you could use this formula...[(how much longer could it possibly take if unforeseen circumstances occur) X 3] + [lifespan of a rabbit born at original date].

Congrats and good luck. Really looking forward to feedback from someone who has the vehicle.

Insane that the "launch" happened three weeks ago and we still have to guess what the seats are going to be like and what the cargo dimensions are etc...

My reservation number is right over 8000, and I've personally expected delivery around March (the two year anniversary of my MS delivery). However, as I see the slower ramp, I think it's going to be more like June.
If they can get the required parts, they should be able to quickly ramp to 1,600-1,800 per week, so by around March sounds reasonable to me.

Could be they delayed configuring

How long did Tesla allow Sig's to delay their configuration? Can they still configure at this point? I'm trying to make an educated guess as to how many US Sigs will actually be produced, which will impact when the factory will be able to start producing Production vehicles. (subject of course to how their ramp goes...)