Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume the rear doors puddle lights you are referring to are for the red lights (a little higher up on the rear doors)? My rear doors (I don't have the premium light package) don't have the holes/cutouts (I can see the spot in the plastic where they would be) on the bottom of the rear doors (on the plastic below the speakers).

The red lights on the edge of the doors aren't the puddle lights. I've heard them called "emergency lights" although that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Puddle lights are white and on the bottoms of the doors. Interestingly I went out to my car just now (85D configured in March 2015, tech package but no premium lighting) and I only have puddle lights on the front doors but not the rears, just like you. I wonder what's behind those punch-outs in the bottom of the doors...like if there's wiring for the lights there. I don't recall seeing any discussion of this, but I'm not brave enough to rip open a rear door to find out.

pete8314, thanks for all your efforts on this. I intend to order some bulbs once I figure out which make sense for my car.

I thought I read somewhere upthread that the glovebox light is also of the same type as these lights? Would one of these work in the glovebox too?

(Granted, I have so much cr*p in my glovebox the light is almost irrelevant but...)

Great work, Pete. I ordered 2 sets as soon as the site went up. I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do with the second set of 4, maybe the foot wells.

No it doesn't. The wires are there and active when the other lights come on, but this plastic clip is not present (shown with light installed):

However, it should be possible to ziptie the light right to the crossbar or make a homebrew "bracket" out of a coffee can lid or similar. On my car I used the LED strips under there, which peel and stick, so I stuck them directly to the crossbar
There should be no need for this. Supposedly if you purchase the lamp bracket from Tesla (PN 1016677-00-A), the power connector is already under everyone's seat (as you and Pete discovered). Presumably this part number applies to original seats only, not the Next-Generation seats, but it probably gets many people a nice stock way to install in the rear foot wells if you don't already have the lights. There's an installation guide that looks really easy (the bracket simply clips to the crossbar, should be a sub-5-minute install), but it's on a site that also sells accessories so I won't post it in Pete's thread unless he gives the OK.