Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the place on the rear door where the puddle light would go.
Any word on whether there is wiring in that door to install a puddle light, if I cut a hole for it? This is a late 2013 without the lighting package.

IMG_1662.jpg

Here's the place on the rear door where the puddle light would go.
Any word on whether there is wiring in that door to install a puddle light, if I cut a hole for it? This is a late 2013 without the lighting package.

View attachment 103543

Yeah, I don't doubt the wires are there, but the question is, can you fish around for them through the punch-out (easy) or remove the panel (not easy). Hopefully someone has tried it....

Also, my first attempt at the instructions are up; I assume most on this thread are more than capable of installing them, but any feedback is welcome if you spot something I've missed.

Found all of the connectors in the trunk. Will be no problems there. Rear foot wells have no light and no bracket. 2015 model, no premium lighting. I don't see the connector under the seat either, but most likely looking in the wrong place. For your instructions, if you could tell us approximately where to look for the connector, it would help. Thanks.

I just check mine (looking under the front passenger seat). I have a 85D from March w/o premium lighting. I don't have the bracket but I do have the cable. It is hidden pretty well. There is a large bundle of cables kind on the upper right. There is a small black cable that looks like it is looped around the bundle going back into the seat. If you feel around you'll feel the cable is just looped around the bundle and you can find the connector at the end just wrapped there.

Like Pete said in his instructions.. I only found it with the seat all the way forward and all the way raised to see best under the seat....

Looking forward to the lights and the brackets...

- C

Found all of the connectors in the trunk. Will be no problems there. Rear foot wells have no light and no bracket. 2015 model, no premium lighting. I don't see the connector under the seat either, but most likely looking in the wrong place. For your instructions, if you could tell us approximately where to look for the connector, it would help. Thanks.

Also, my first attempt at the instructions are up; I assume most on this thread are more than capable of installing them, but any feedback is welcome if you spot something I've missed.
The instructions are great - here are a few small corrections:
  • Label in first photo should be "Driver side (trunk)"
  • Steps 1 & 2 for the frunk seem reversed
  • Puddle lights: if you have air suspension, raise it to Very High
  • Puddle lights: step 2, "ot" should be "to"; step 3, "om" should be "on"
I might have more suggestions after I do the installation.

There is a small black cable that looks like it is looped around the bundle going back into the seat. If you feel around you'll feel the cable is just looped around the bundle and you can find the connector at the end just wrapped there.

Thanks! I will give this a try.

**Update**

Found them! They were zip tied to the cable and very hard to see. Needed a mirror to see them.

Last edited:
I've looked at 4 cars now, spanning from 2013 to 2015. All definitely have the wiring for rear seat, puddle lights and ambient lights. You need to be sure you get the puddle light wire, as if you use the ambient light connector (same type), there will be no power. The Ambient connectors seem to always have a purple wire whereas the puddle/red lights are both the same color, but it varies between a blue, red, or green wire depending on door and car year.

I recommend taking the door panel off for this work. It's not hard, but you need a 9mm socket and a T30 Torx bit. There is a plastic cover behind the door release lever that unsnaps, revealing the 2 T30 bolts, and a rubber cover down in the door handle pocket that pops up to reveal the 9mm bolt. Once those 3 fasteners are removed the door panel simply snaps straight off. It requires a lot of force, so I just start at the bottom with a big flat-blade screwdriver and pry until I can get my fingers in there then it's easy. Be careful once it's in your hand; you have to disconnect all the wires and the cable for the door release (front). There are connectors for the lights, the door release, and the power window control.

I didn't see the rear footwell cable on my car last night either, but I will follow your instructions and see if I can find it tonight. Is the connector exposed or is it hidden with tape or somethign else?

By the way, my car has the driver's and passengers door puddle lights, but nothing on the rear. I have a March 2013 build, s85, without premium lighting.
I just check mine (looking under the front passenger seat). I have a 85D from March w/o premium lighting. I don't have the bracket but I do have the cable. It is hidden pretty well. There is a large bundle of cables kind on the upper right. There is a small black cable that looks like it is looped around the bundle going back into the seat. If you feel around you'll feel the cable is just looped around the bundle and you can find the connector at the end just wrapped there.

Like Pete said in his instructions.. I only found it with the seat all the way forward and all the way raised to see best under the seat....

Looking forward to the lights and the brackets...

- C

I mostly found the connector by feeling around the cable. The light power cable is the small (only one) black cable that is wrapped around the larger bundle. Just follow the cable with your hand and you'll feel the connector. I'm not even sure it is zipped tied, I think it is just wrapped a couple of times around the cable.

- C

I didn't see the rear footwell cable on my car last night either, but I will follow your instructions and see if I can find it tonight. Is the connector exposed or is it hidden with tape or somethign else?

By the way, my car has the driver's and passengers door puddle lights, but nothing on the rear. I have a March 2013 build, s85, without premium lighting.

Do you have the tech package? I recall at some point the tech package including lights in the rear doors, but that may have been about the handles and not the door puddles themselves.

Last edited: