Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've encountered my one and only problem with the light purchasing experience -- I can't submit a review. Tried a couple of different times, but I get this message when I try to submit a review: "Oops! Something went wrong, and your review has not been posted yet."

My Model S 85D, with a nearly full set of Abstract Ocean lights (twelve white, four red...basically everything except the glovebox) went into the local service center last week to replace a faulty liftgate latch under warranty. Part of the replacement process required replacing the lower liftgate trim (the piece where the emergency release and the light are). When I picked the car up, I discovered that the technician had removed the AO bulb in the liftgate and replaced it with a stock bulb! This was completely unexpected, and not even noted on the work order. When I pointed this out, the AO bulb was nowhere to be found and according to my service advisor probably discarded. To their credit, the service center is doing (IMHO) the right thing; the service advisor told me to order another bulb and they'd reimburse me for it. (Thanks Chris @ Dublin SC!)

One of several weird car-related occurrances that happened to our family last week (both of our cars in for repairs on the same day, plus our garage door opener died). It was a full moon last week...that might have something to do with it... :)

Bruce.

Ha, that explains your single bulb order...it shipped this morning :) Very strange they don't re-use the bulbs when replacing the trim.

Yeah I bet you were wondering about that one! Thanks for getting that out to me. :)

Maybe the service technician broke the bulb when he/she tried to get it out of the liftgate trim or off the wiring harness (my son and I mangled a couple of the original OEM bulbs, so I could imagine this happening). Or maybe the liftgate trim comes with a bulb pre-installed? I'll ask, but I bet nobody remembers over at the service center, they're all so busy nowadays.

Bruce.

I believe this is a small business that has done very well to improve a good product. Trying to get a few dollar's off by using somebody else coupon is wrong. Having benefitted from the company's product, I think it is even more wrong to post your coupon code for general use. The products are good and fairly priced. You don't need to cheat the company out of their profit - which i suspect small.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
I believe this is a small business that has done very well to improve a good product. Trying to get a few dollar's off by using somebody else coupon is wrong. Having benefitted from the company's product, I think it is even more wrong to post your coupon code for general use. The products are good and fairly priced. You don't need to cheat the company out of their profit - which i suspect small.

Relax, this is the official referral program of Abstract Ocean. Please read before posting ...:cool:

upload_2016-4-26_20-55-35.png

Installed the AO LEDs all round except for the puddle lights on the rear doors. Made a big different in the trunks as we do not have the premium lighting package. Fishing out the wires for the two trunk lights was not very difficult. Not quite ready to try the rear door puddle lights yet. Until I read about this light upgrade, I had not realized that the front doors even had puddle lights. The brighter red door lights are also great.

Just put one of the Abstract Ocean bulbs in the liftgate hatch for the second time (see story upthread for why I needed to do this twice). I think that originally, this was the second light that my son and I replaced, and at the time we were still kind of squeamish about working on the car (or maybe that was just me). Now, after a bunch of other light replacements on this car, it sure feels a lot easier. I gave up on the spudger (which I think is too soft) and used a technique a couple of other people tried here, to put a couple layers of masking tape down to protect the trim, and use a small flatblade screwdriver to pry the old bulb out.

Trivia point: The interior lights that came with my car had black connectors on the back (where the wiring plugs in). The light that I got back from the service center last week has a grey connector, but otherwise seems to be identical.

Bruce.

So this is only good if you don't have the premium lights or do the premium lights also fail to be bright enough?

Although all Model S's are wired for all 13 bulbs (4 foot well, 1 puddle light in each door, 3 in the truck, 1 in the frunk and 1 in the glovebox), non-premium models only have bulbs connected for Frunk x 1, Truck x 1, 1 in each of the front foot wells, and one in the glove box). Many of our customers have upgraded their lights and added to them to bring the count up to 'premium spec'. You can read more about what's involved waaaaay up thread, or in our installation guide.

Just had the Abstract Ocean ultra bright bulbs installed in the trunk and frunk spaces... the difference is night and day!

Thanks for making a great product, now I'm tempted to get the led license plate bulbs.

Don't forget, sometime after VIN 90000, Tesla started fitting licence plate LED bulbs as standard. Not as bright as ours :), but they're no longer upgradable.