Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During this morning's drive in light rain I noticed a drastic improvement in the automatic wipers. They have been way too inconsistent in the past, but today it seems like the camera is picking up even small drops and speed is dead on to keep the windshield clear.

I know Elon promised they were working on it but this is a welcomed update!

FYI - she's a late 2018 LR FSD running 2019.32.12.2

Reactions: webbah
Agreed. Not too heavily tinted blue, and it cleans pretty well.

I noticed after the last update 12.2 that last night my wipers went on when there was no rain. I may have had some rain spots or dirt on the windshield and there was a terrible sun glare (sun was setting). Anyone think either of those could cause the wipers to go on with auto? I know I have never had that issue before this last update.

During this morning's drive in light rain I noticed a drastic improvement in the automatic wipers. They have been way too inconsistent in the past, but today it seems like the camera is picking up even small drops and speed is dead on to keep the windshield clear.

I know Elon promised they were working on it but this is a welcomed update!

FYI - she's a late 2018 LR FSD running 2019.32.12.2
I am on the same version as you and this morning drove an hour and a half in intermittent rain. In my opinion, the Auto Wiper setting is just as poor as it has been during my one year plus of Model 3 ownership. My X is no better. It’s the biggest weak point of the car, which is otherwise nearly flawless.

Reactions: totteraptor
Better. But still not good. Frustrating that they are not putting in place a simple fix, like allowing you to set the sensitivity and aggressiveness or allowing manual control from the steering wheel or stock(in addition to the one swipe push)

One button push and swipe up on the steering wheel ball and it goes to low, swipe up again and medium, again and high. You have a 15 second window after hitting the manual wiper button. Could be all done in a software update, and requires zero eyes off the road time, not sure why Tesla doesn’t do something like that...

One button push and swipe up on the steering wheel ball and it goes to low, swipe up again and medium, again and high. You have a 15 second window after hitting the manual wiper button. Could be all done in a software update, and requires zero eyes off the road time, not sure why Tesla doesn’t do something like that...
I had the exact same idea. I vote for this. Plus voice command.

Reactions: totteraptor
I noticed after the last update 12.2 that last night my wipers went on when there was no rain. I may have had some rain spots or dirt on the windshield and there was a terrible sun glare (sun was setting). Anyone think either of those could cause the wipers to go on with auto? I know I have never had that issue before this last update.
I've had two situations where the wipers went on in dry weather.
  1. The car was parked facing a stucco wall. I've heard other reports of this too. I guess the stippled texture of stucco looks like rain to the computer.
  2. The car had bug splats in front of the forward camera cluster. Windex and a rag cured the problem.