Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

In Ottawa, looking to borrow chademo adapter for a couple weeks long road trip to Atlantic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone in the Ottawa/Montreal/Quebec area (since I'll be travelling along that route) has a chademo adapter I can borrow or rent from them between July 24th and August 3rd? With the announcement of the Model 3 supporting it, I'd love to get my hands on one to make the trip easier but doubt Tesla can deliver it on time!

I'm also interested in buying one off someone if anyone has one they don't want anymore, but that's secondary

Thanks!

That firmware is not out yet according to James

James Locke on Twitter
I spoke to a service adviser today I usually talk to and he mentioned that he expects the firmware rollout to begin in the next week or so. I'm still on the fence about buying one of these, but am asking if they have one they can loan me for a few days before I purchase (after I get the update that is).

How many folks are planning on getting the adapter? Maybe its time for a poll....

Poll: Do you plan on buying a chademo adapter?

Reactions: DontBetAgtsEln
How many folks are planning on getting the adapter? Maybe its time for a poll....

I'm on the fence. There are 2 chademo at Canadian tire 2 km from my house and another one at a tim Hortons about the same distance. Closest supercharger is about 20km away in the opposite direction from where I usually travel and that's just over 15 minutes of driving each direction with no traffic (it's currently 32 minutes according to google maps). So it could come in handy. I'd also like to road trip to Gaspe and cape Breton and would rather chademo than l2 charge.

I'll probably hold off until one of those road trips. You never know they might release a CCS adapter.

Reactions: corlaandstan
I'd prefer not to buy one, particularly since chademo is on its way out, however would love to use one for a road trip or two which is why I wouldn't mind renting one..

Regarding software, actually just got a notification on my phone that there's an update and I hit install! Will see what version it is after it's done, standby.. hopefully ~30 min

Edit: false alarm, just an incremental update!

Last edited:
I did a round trip Maine to Miami in March without a Chademo. I searched along the way, and never found a spot where Chademo would have been an advantage. Superchargers are very available, and working, non-ICEd Chademos are pretty rare.

I know Canada is sparse in Superchargers (especially west of Sudbury), and there are a lot of Chademos. Assuming you can get to a SC near Ottawa and Montreal, you really don't need a Chademo.

I'm on the fence. There are 2 chademo at Canadian tire 2 km from my house and another one at a tim Hortons about the same distance. Closest supercharger is about 20km away in the opposite direction from where I usually travel and that's just over 15 minutes of driving each direction with no traffic (it's currently 32 minutes according to google maps). So it could come in handy. I'd also like to road trip to Gaspe and cape Breton and would rather chademo than l2 charge.

I'll probably hold off until one of those road trips. You never know they might release a CCS adapter.

Why not install a good charger at home? You shouldn't need a public charger close to home, you need them every 150 miles in the direction you are going.

Why not install a good charger at home? You shouldn't need a public charger close to home, you need them every 150 miles in the direction you are going.

I have a charger at home. This is for that rare case when my charge is very low near home (getting home after a road trip and having to leave for somewhere else again) and I'd have to drive 20 minutes out of my way to go to a supercharger and then back again. Or I could use ChadeMo less than 2km from home.