Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Do you plan on buying a chademo adapter?

Are you planning on purchasing a chademo adapter?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the recent announcement of a firmware update dropping soon to support the chademo adapter, I'm curious how many people are considering buying one. The supercharger network isn't covering all of Canada currently, so I'm curious if there will be a bigger uptake in certain regions, ie, Ontario vs east coast, etc?

I'm assuming most respondents will be for model 3 owners since S/X could have bought the adapter for years...but all denominations are welcome :)

There's some free CHAdeMO chargers around, but $600 is a lot of home charging, plus judging by how busy the free L2 chargers are in town around here, the CHAdeMO stations are probably mostly busy.

A friend commented the ones at Superstore are interesting, because they tend to be in use, so you park next to it and go shopping. When you come out chances are the person has left and plugged your car in. Of course this won't work once they aren't free anymore, but I guess demand will drop sharply at that point.

It could open up some new/alternate routes, but 50kw hardly seems fast. I'm hoping we eventually get a CCS adapter that's cheaper and allows higher charge rates.

• Disagree
Reactions: jjchan and WolfHero
Chademo will make the trip to lillooet (and further north) much nicer. Lots of chademo and CCs but NO superchargers up hwy 1 after leaving hope.. beautiful area but I guess not on Tesla’s radar..
I’d love to have easy travel in that area but unless you head up there more than a few times a year it’s a pretty expensive adapter..

Chademo will make the trip to lillooet (and further north) much nicer. Lots of chademo and CCs but NO superchargers up hwy 1 after leaving hope.. beautiful area but I guess not on Tesla’s radar..
I’d love to have easy travel in that area but unless you head up there more than a few times a year it’s a pretty expensive adapter..
Tesla expects you to cut through Merritt between Hope and Kamloops, obviously. We wanted to stay on TC1, and between a full Supercharge in Hope and the slower speed limit, we made it just fine in our MS75D. We do have a CHAdeMO adapter and planned to charge in Spences Bridge. We did stop and charge, but more to verify that we could.

We were able to travel the Crowsnest Hwy (3) all the way back from Fort Macleod to Kelowna, using the adapter. It made it much more flexible, being able to stop for a pretty short time in some of the towns to do some light exploring, rather than searching for hotels with destination charging or other slow sources. The Flo ones are $18 an hour, so be aware.

Our only issue was that there were several different sources, all needing you to have an account. With no cell data service on our phone, we would not have been able to do it without our mobile international wifi hotspot. We had a Greenlots RF card, and that worked. Most of the ones later we had to communicate with BC Hydro via app to use. Would be no issues for Canadians.

If I lived or traveled a lot in Canada, I'd definitely get the adapter.

What about, “Already own CHAdeMO adapter”?

Bought it for our S. Used it once, a year ago, to verify operation.

Will drive our 3 to a nearby CHAdeMO charger and see whether it works.

Same here.

I can't edit the poll anymore, but good points. There are always questions that I forget to ask :)

For now, I guess you could answer 'yes' since it at least gives an idea of how popular tesla chademo charging would be. I think I've only seen a model s using the dcfc at my local Ikea 1 or 2 times in the last 5 years.

With the recent announcement of a firmware update dropping soon to support the chademo adapter, I'm curious how many people are considering buying one. The supercharger network isn't covering all of Canada currently, so I'm curious if there will be a bigger uptake in certain regions, ie, Ontario vs east coast, etc?

I'm assuming most respondents will be for model 3 owners since S/X could have bought the adapter for years...but all denominations are welcome :)

I think the Chademo adapter at this point is more of a tech fun gadget. If you live in an area covered by Superchargers. It would take years to make the $680 cost back assume you can charge on Chademo for free.

On the other hand, if one is looking for a life style of eating swedish meat balls for brunch at Ikea while having the car juiced, then definitely go for it.

I purchased one used for $250 to use with my S. It was a backup for a trip that had ChaDemo just up the street from where I was staying. It was a trip I couldn't afford to have problems. Turned out the hotel J1772 was repaired so didn't need.

Never did use it for anything else. Maybe I'll try now on the 3 just to see if it works.

What about, “Already own CHAdeMO adapter”?
Bought it for our S. Used it once, a year ago, to verify operation.
Will drive our 3 to a nearby CHAdeMO charger and see whether it works.

You have to have the most current version of the software before it will work.
Tesla says that any North American Tesla vehicle, including Model 3, on the firmware 2019.24.1 can use the adapter.

More Details here.
Tesla finally makes CHAdeMO adapter compatible with Model 3, giving access to 3rd party charging networks - Electrek

I think the Chademo adapter at this point is more of a tech fun gadget. If you live in an area covered by Superchargers. It would take years to make the $680 cost back assume you can charge on Chademo for free.

On the other hand, if one is looking for a life style of eating swedish meat balls for brunch at Ikea while having the car juiced, then definitely go for it.
lol, but even with that lifestyle Ikea has J1772 chargers as well.