Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Inconsiderate EV owner yanks charger while car is being charged...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As more people get EVs - it's unreasonable to expect everyone will follow any type of etiquette or understand how the charging works on other vehicles. If their car has a status light while charging and your car doesn't, it's not unreasonable for the other driver to assume your car is done charging. And, unfortunately, many drivers will stay connected long after their cars have finished charging.

Tesla should do two things to address this:
  • If not continuously, at least periodically (once a minute?) flash a charging status on the port. Though since the charging status lights don't take much power, there could also be a setting to allow drivers to keep the charging status light on whenever the car is charging.
  • Provide locking J1772 adapters, rather than relying on 3rd parties, with uncertified adapters, for this solution. Or, Tesla should have a program to certify 3rd party adapters - and then include those in their online store.
We should expect this situation to get worse as more manufacturers begin selling EVs...

The employer is the one who should create rules governing the use of the chargers. Then there can be no excuse. If someone doesn't want to follow the rules, they lose access. Nothing unreasonable at all about it.

As more people get EVs - it's unreasonable to expect everyone will follow any type of etiquette or understand how the charging works on other vehicles. If their car has a status light while charging and your car doesn't, it's not unreasonable for the other driver to assume your car is done charging. And, unfortunately, many drivers will stay connected long after their cars have finished charging.

Tesla should do two things to address this:
  • If not continuously, at least periodically (once a minute?) flash a charging status on the port. Though since the charging status lights don't take much power, there could also be a setting to allow drivers to keep the charging status light on whenever the car is charging.
  • Provide locking J1772 adapters, rather than relying on 3rd parties, with uncertified adapters, for this solution. Or, Tesla should have a program to certify 3rd party adapters - and then include those in their online store.
We should expect this situation to get worse as more manufacturers begin selling EVs...
It’s not about power. It’s about not drawing attention to the car especially in the dark. This prevents vandalism.

jura possessionis

Imagine using the bathroom when someone barges in and kicks you out because they have a greater need (had an inappropriate for their guts lunch). The employer does not have to provide "bathroom rules", that behavior is unacceptable.

There are bathroom rules and everyone is taught them from a young age. EVs are brand new technology with new users everyday. Its like before cell phones you didn't need to have signs telling people to not have phone conversations in doctor's offices, movie theaters, lines, etc.

There are bathroom rules and everyone is taught them from a young age. EVs are brand new technology with new users everyday. Its like before cell phones you didn't need to have signs telling people to not have phone conversations in doctor's offices, movie theaters, lines, etc.

But we've all been taught to not touch things that don't belong to you from a young age. The age of the technology involved is irrelevant to societal norms surrounding personal property.

Reactions: .jg. and DOCAL
OP, did you have anything in your window with how to contact you if someone else needed to borrow it?

A labelmaker can make a small label with your cell phone no. on it that will fit on the inside of the charge door. Then you don't have to put it up in the window, and it is only seen when you are charging, always there. I might have left a note on the other vehicle to leave his number so I can call to find when he will be finished so I can continue charging. It doesn't need to escalate.

. A Tesla can make do whereas they probably needed the juice.

in addition to the point that was already made about how little charge the Tesla may have started with, you also don't know what the Tesla's destination was. There are times when I drive my normal 30 mile commute home. There are other times where I have to drive much farther on to an overnight appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg. and SW2Fiddler
A labelmaker can make a small label with your cell phone no. on it that will fit on the inside of the charge door. Then you don't have to put it up in the window, and it is only seen when you are charging, always there. I might have left a note on the other vehicle to leave his number so I can call to find when he will be finished so I can continue charging. It doesn't need to escalate.

I suspect any such label small enough to fit on the inside of the Tesla chargeport door would also be obscured by the plug or adapter inserted in to the port.

jura possessionis

Imagine using the bathroom when someone barges in and kicks you out because they have a greater need (had an inappropriate for their guts lunch). The employer does not have to provide "bathroom rules", that behavior is unacceptable.
Now imagine having food poisoning and running to the bathroom, only to find there is only one stall, and the person inside finished their business a while ago but are just sitting on their phone browsing social media with no plan to move anytime soon.

Reactions: bhzmark
Now imagine having food poisoning and running to the bathroom, only to find there is only one stall, and the person inside finished their business a while ago but are just sitting on their phone browsing social media with no plan to move anytime soon.

Now imagine the police getting involved when you attempt to touch and/or forcibly remove the person. The anecdote still has to fall within what would happen in real life.

EDIT: One can be morally wrong, but legally in the right, just as one can be legally right, but also a jack@ss. The world is full of more greys than black-and-whites.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I think Tesla and maybe PlugShare should create an messaging app that would allow you to contact the owner that is charging. By using an app you would not need to give anyone your phone number, just some identifier (maybe your VIN?).

This way you have the opportunity to say Yes or No to the request.

58DD0E6F-B153-4462-9EB9-52F71EA25B5D.jpeg
Need a graphic artist to come up with the unplugging someone else’s EV sign along these lines...

Now imagine the police getting involved when you attempt to touch and/or forcibly remove the person. The anecdote still has to fall within what would happen in real life.

EDIT: One can be morally wrong, but legally in the right, just as one can be legally right, but also a jack@ss. The world is full of more greys than black-and-whites.
I was mainly just complaining at people that occupy bathroom stalls while just playing on their phone (although I do feel the same way about people leaving their cars plugged in after it's done charging). But back on topic, I think everyone agrees that you should never unplug a car that's actively charging (even if people disagree about unplugging a car that's fully charged, there's other threads for that discussion).

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I suspect any such label small enough to fit on the inside of the Tesla chargeport door would also be obscured by the plug or adapter inserted in to the port.

I felt that it was somewhat hidden, so I have a sheet of paper with my phone number on it, which I place on the dash. Never been called. Could be that's because I don't hog a charger.

But I have once been to a charge site where there were a dozen unmanned cars, no way to tell how long the wait might be, no way to tell which was charging or which was just sitting while the owner finished his steak. I know there are thoughtless people, careless people, and people who think they're entitled. It will get worse. As a rule, people are selfish.

jura possessionis

So... he sharts it out just outside your stall and you later have to clean your shoes and you are still holding your nose but not as high in the air!

I think Tesla and maybe PlugShare should create an messaging app that would allow you to contact the owner that is charging. By using an app you would not need to give anyone your phone number, just some identifier (maybe your VIN?).

I thought about this awhile back.. It would be a pretty easy app. The "requester" could punch in some serial number of the charger or better yet, scan it. The charger company knows the profile of the person/car sitting in that charger and can push an app notification to the "charger user". The charger-user could decide within the app if it's okay to disconnect. The charger company could then push an app message to the requester with the result.

Kind of surprised this isn't available yet?